The greatest FINAL FANTASY

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#161 petitmiam

petitmiam
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

Well, this topic obviously needs reviving, now that I'm on board.

I thought the best was FFVII, except this year I tried playing it again, and it is so infuriatingly slow on my PS2. Even running was all in slow motion, I felt like a snail trying to keep up with a greyhound when all the other characters ran off on me.
I loved that it was unstructured, most of it you didn't need to do in a particular order, once you got past the first few towns of course. Once you got the airship, and the boosters, the whole world was yours. Chocobo breeding, anyone? I thought the materia system was the best, although I did like the circular grid in one of the later ones where you got points and moved around learning the skills you wanted - which one was this?

FFX (I think it was) was just a bit too structured, you had to keep going back for new tasks and you could only get them one at a time. It felt too much like the real world where you have a boring job to do all day long. If I wanted a dose the real world I would just go out, not sit and play games. The Blitzball was, like totally random (if you'll excuse the faux teenspeak). Plus I was useless at it, never been good at sports. Perhaps I would've enjoyed it more if I was actually good. There are more cutscenes (which are great) than gameplay it seems, I would like much more gameplay.

I bought my (limited edition platinum Final Fantasy) PSP for Crisis Core, but I just don't think it lived up to the hype. Some of the battles I still can't get through, they are so hard, and Cloud Strife could have a bigger part (does he even speak?). Also I miss the chocobo.

Don't hate me because I like(d) FFVII.

#162 Syn-Ryn

Syn-Ryn

Scrublord

• 7430 posts
  • Steam ID:steamcommunity.com/id/krickit
  • Xbox Live:Blale

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:42 AM

Cloud Strife could have a bigger part (does he even speak?).

He does, some along the lines of this.
"gongaga hahahahahhaahhaahhaahahahahahahhahahahahahah"

#163 Munkah

Munkah

Resident overlord

• Staff
  • 12514 posts
  • Steam ID:Morgadeth
  • PSN:Morgadeth
  • Wii:1032 5522 9691 7697
  • Xbox Live:Morgadeth

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

Cloud Strife could have a bigger part (does he even speak?).

He does, some along the lines of this.
"gongaga hahahahahhaahhaahhaahahahahahahhahahahahahah"

So they didn't dub it then? What a shame.

#164 Soyerz

Soyerz

Pronounced 'Soy-a-sauce'

• 5447 posts
  • Steam ID:Soyerz
  • PSN:Soyerzz
  • Wii:Nimmy_is_just_Super
  • Xbox Live:Soyerz

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

I have only played two Final Fantasy games. So FF VII wins with FF III coming in second place...

#165 ryanrayx2

ryanrayx2

War doesn't determin who is right, it determins who is left.

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • PSN:ryanrayx
  • Xbox Live:Ryanrayx

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

My Final Fantasy collection consists of FFVII, FFVII CC, FFVII DoC, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, FF Chocobo Tales and FF Advent Children (Movie).
1st FFVII, 2nd FFXII and 3rd FFVII CC are my top 3 in that order

If you don't know what my acronyms are you're obviously not a big fan of Final Fantasy.

#166 onehitter09

onehitter09

King

• [NZGR] - Clan Killzone 2
  • 3585 posts
  • Xbox Live:OneHitter NZ

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

If you were a such a big fan why get one of em wrong? I think it is Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII? :o

#167 Ruptunex

Ruptunex

I love Slide

• Ambassador
  • 7825 posts
  • Steam ID:Ruptunex
  • Xbox Live:Ruptunex

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

same with Dirge of Cerberus too.

#168 Digitaldude

Digitaldude
  • Members
  • 418 posts
  • Steam ID:mr_s14
  • PSN:Digitaldude13
  • Xbox Live:DigitaldudeNZ

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

The greatest is Final Fantasy IX.
The characters are unparalleled, the story its really intense and the cutscenes are fantastic for a Playstation game.
Second goes to FFX.

#169 crapcarp

crapcarp
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:29 AM

My three favorite games in the series would have to be in order from least to most: Tatics, 6, and 9.

I played from the very first FF game, and it only got better and better. Until 7 arrived of course, then everybody's standerds seem to go down the toilet and has been down there ever since(the obvoius execption being 9). I'm not saying that 7 was a bad game per se, but I feel it gets a lot more praise than it desreves. Then you have games like Tatics and 6 that get overlooked by one too many eyes. I just hate all of these casual players that are so easily satisfied it's not funny. I know 7 was probably your first RPG and it seemed so great, but believe me when I say that there is stuff out there that is A LOT better than 7. However, I will say that 7 was not the worst game of the series(not anymore) because that award goes to 13. I know the series was going downhill and all, but 13 just shot it in the head.

#170 Twilight_Aurora

Twilight_Aurora
  • Members
  • 1534 posts
  • PSN:Twilight_Aurora

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

My three favorite games in the series would have to be in order from least to most: Tatics, 6, and 9.

I played from the very first FF game, and it only got better and better. Until 7 arrived of course, then everybody's standerds seem to go down the toilet and has been down there ever since(the obvoius execption being 9). I'm not saying that 7 was a bad game per se, but I feel it gets a lot more praise than it desreves. Then you have games like Tatics and 6 that get overlooked by one too many eyes. I just hate all of these casual players that are so easily satisfied it's not funny. I know 7 was probably your first RPG and it seemed so great, but believe me when I say that there is stuff out there that is A LOT better than 7. However, I will say that 7 was not the worst game of the series(not anymore) because that award goes to 13. I know the series was going downhill and all, but 13 just shot it in the head.

13 is by no means 'a bad game'. It set out to tell a story, and it accomplished that imo, it wasn't lacking in the story at all, what let it down was the linearity until over 20 hours in. If you didn't invest into the game, you wouldn't really discover how great it really was.

Personally, I thought it was good most of the way through, had a lot of fun with the paradigm system, and the CGI was nice. Admittedly it gets a bit cliche at times, but still stands as one of the best endings I've seen in a video game. The final 10 minute CGI cutscene was absolutely brilliant, no question about that :thumbsup:

#171 Ruptunex

Ruptunex

I love Slide

• Ambassador
  • 7825 posts
  • Steam ID:Ruptunex
  • Xbox Live:Ruptunex

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:10 PM

13 is by no means 'a bad game'. It set out to tell a story, and it accomplished that imo, it wasn't lacking in the story at all, what let it down was the linearity until over 20 hours in. If you didn't invest into the game, you wouldn't really discover how great it really was.

Personally, I thought it was good most of the way through, had a lot of fun with the paradigm system, and the CGI was nice. Admittedly it gets a bit cliche at times, but still stands as one of the best endings I've seen in a video game. The final 10 minute CGI cutscene was absolutely brilliant, no question about that :huh:

XIII Shits all over XII. I loved it. The story was a return to form and incredibly emotional. The gameplay was intuitive and fun, it rewarded experimentation without penalizing you. Sure its not the biggest hit every or necessarily what people had expected. I mean the FFs take giant strides every game regardless of whether they are good or bad. Final Fantasy is my Game of the Year and not because I'm a fanboy

#172 deadlyraver

deadlyraver
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Steam ID:Deadlyraver69
  • PSN:Deadlyravingkid
  • Xbox Live:The Deadlyraver

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:53 AM

uh well the first time i played final fantasy was on my friends psp (FF VII CC) about 3 months ago i really found it boring but then about 2 months later i tried again and was bored for about 20 minutes then got into the game 1 hour later loved it once i clocked it i was addicted so i downloaded advent children complete and now trying to get FF IV (sorry for bad grammar)

Edited by deadlyraver, 28 November 2010 - 12:54 AM.

#173 RagingSkyKing

RagingSkyKing
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:08 PM

FFV FTW! Ohhh maybe FFX too but uhhhh..... I'll just let FFV beat FFX this time because its just beautiful the way everything plays, the story and music (forget the battle calls)

#174 Spekel

Spekel

GOML

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • PSN:SpeKeL_

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Final Fantasy 7 all the way. I wish they would do a remake similar to the graphics and audio of Crisis core. But not touch the game size/story line at all. That would be prefect.

Edit - FF13 blows. Big time. It was offensive to play.

Edited by Spekel, 23 March 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#175 Jake

Jake
  • Members
  • 871 posts
  • PSN:LilMunchkin97
  • Xbox Live:LilMunchkin97

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

My favourite is probably FF X, so glad they decided to give that an HD remake and not VII. X is probably closely followed by Tactics and XIII.

Yes, XIII. I loved it, the battle system was fun, the characters varied and well-voiced, and the story was compelling and tragic. Also, Chocobo-living-in-afro. Word.

#176 McSalisbury

McSalisbury

Ute Squad

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Steam ID:McSalisbury

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

My Favourite is deffently FFVII followed by X
Have played VII through atleast 5 times doing everying and still love it

#177 WiiFuturePro

WiiFuturePro
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

FFVI is the best, I think if you take out everyone's nostalgia and looked at the series from an unbiased standpoint, FFVI is where the series peaked. I came into the series having not played them as a child at all and I think FFVI has the best story, soundtrack, characters,etc.
FFVII's graphics are just bad, I'm not a graphics whore, but to me they fail. The transition between the time of 2D graphics and 3D was hard, especially for this game. While VII had prerendered cutscenes and the like, VI built upon the SNES's predessors (IV & V) weaknesses and did practically everything well with 16 bit graphics/sound/etc.

You VII fans must remember that FF used to be a Nintendo exclusive (if you don't include the MSX version of FF1), but we here only got VII first during their original releases. I've played the first 6 games and I must say I find them to be way more enjoyable than the PS FFs, but thats just my personal opinion.

#178 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• Ambassador
  • 10009 posts
  • PSN:foxymcstupid

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

6. only it hasnt aged well. stupid random battles...

#179 primofreak87

primofreak87

primofreak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • PSN:primofreak

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

For me FF8 had the greatest impact on me, mainly because it was my first final fantasy. I played it in 01/02. Being an islander my mates had no idea what FF was lol so had no help there for when I got stuck.

In the Final boss battle I had unlocked resurrect, limit break, item, command and GF. I was low on high magic junctions so my stats weren't great. Down to my last 3 party members and had to face Ultimecia's last form and the witch wiped my party out, but out of nowhere I am saved by phoenix and thankfully killed the witch. Still my favourite moment in gaming. Also the ending is solid, like it was conclusive. I usually replay it once every 2 or so years.

Special mentions to
FF10, ending had me in tears. I've watered up in many games but that is the only game to force the tears to roll down my face lol. Also Auron is just so damn awesome. Why wasn't he in Dissidia. Cannot wait for FFX HD..
FF6 the Esper system was cool and the large cast of characters was pretty. Also had my saddest FF moment.....Celes!?! NOOOO!!!!
FF13, yes its very linear and your abilities are pretty restricted at first. But if you persevere by mid game(like during chapter 11) and especially post ending the battle system is awesome. So much freedom in how you set-up your characters, team and paradigms. I mean when you enter chapter 12 don't tell me you weren't hyped to finish the game.

Edited by primofreak87, 02 June 2012 - 07:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users