Photo

Books 'n' Stuff

• Please log in to reply
1036 replies to this topic

#1021 InSanity

InSanity

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:22 PM

Finished Dark Tower, really didnt enjoy it towards the end at all. Back on Brent weeks lightbringer series book 4 Blood mirror! So good thus far !

100% couldn't get into Lightbringer. Really liked the Night Angel stuff though, that was a world that could've done with more exploring. Plus it was the best kind of mindless garbage :P

Ironically Night Angel was Ok for me not great(better than Dark tower :P) i way prefer lightbringer

#1022 Rapidity

Rapidity
  • NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• [NZGR] - Clan Killzone 2
  • 2325 posts
  • PSN:Cruise_Elroy
  • Xbox Live:Cruise Elroy

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

Halfway through my reread of Gardens of the Moon, the first time I read it was almost 10 years ago now but I never managed to carry on with the series as I was pretty shocked when I started reading Deadhouse Gates only to find it was set on another continent, with mostly new characters. Hopefully this time around with that surprise behind me I'll be able to work my way through the entire series.

I must say I did forget just how many different plot threads are woven through GotM, I only really remember the general outline of what occurs, so it's a pleasant surprise that most of the book has so far felt fresh and new.

Edited by Rapidity, 02 January 2017 - 01:36 PM.

#1023 InSanity

InSanity

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

Finished :

Arcanum unbound - Sanderson -SOOOOO good 

Blood Mirror - Weeks - I was upset when he took this 4 part book series and made it 5 but after how good that book was I aint even mad 

Busy with:

The Emporers Blades - Stavely - Too soon to tell 

#1024 Rapidity

Rapidity

• 2325 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

Love the holidays, can rip through books so quickly. Onto Deadhouse Gates!!

#1025 polarbear

polarbear
  • PSN:Just ask!

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:26 AM

Finished the Revenant. Bit different to the movie. Great book other than a very very average ending.

#1026 BigC

BigC
  • PSN:NZBigC

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

Just got this out from the library. Looking forward to reading it!

61RwM8MIHNL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

#1027 Blackfox

Blackfox
  • PSN:Black-fox-nz

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

i finally read all vols for The Sandman by Niel Gaiman, amazing start, but felt let down by the ending.

#1028 Xaphriel

Xaphriel

Chaos Wizard

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • Steam ID:Xaphriel
  • PSN:Xaphriel

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

Just finished Naomi Alderman's 'The Power'. Damn that was a good book. I mean, I'm now terrified of women and their electrical abilities, but it was worth it.

Seriously, great SF.

#1029 Ronsoak

Ronsoak

Please cut up my Credit Cards

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Steam ID:http://steamcommunity.com/id/ronsoak
  • PSN:exekias

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

Have been reading the Arc Royal Series, bookes 1-3 were great, 4-6 alright, and now 7,8 were a bore, possibly wont be reading 9.

#1030 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 8340 posts
  • Steam ID:ZombieRawkMachine
  • PSN:ZombieRwkMachine
  • Xbox Live:DrSinIsIn

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

Reading the Big Trouble in Little China Escape from New York cross over.

#1031 tuftsdude

tuftsdude
  • Steam ID:Tuftsdude
  • PSN:Tuftsdude
  • Xbox Live:Achedmars64

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

Finished Livia Lone by Barry Eisler, another great book by this author. An emotional and twisted thriller with a memorable protagonist.

#1032 Rapidity

Rapidity

• 2325 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

Had a break from reading after i finished Deadhouse Gates, finally back into it though and already 2/3rds of the way through Memories of Ice. Definitely the best in the series so far.

#1033 Blackfox

Blackfox
  • PSN:Black-fox-nz

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

I've started reading Haruki Murakami books, finished 'Kafka on the shore', and 'Norwegian wood', currently on 'the windup bird chronicles', been on the backlog for a while and I'm loving his books so far.

#1034 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• Members
  • 8340 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

Started reading The Silver Eyes which is a retelling of Five Nights at Freddy' s. The book got a lot of complaints as fans of the found it too hard to separate the game canon from this retellings story. I dread of a security guard the book is set in the 90's and follows the daughter of the pizza places founder who comes back to town 10 years after the death of a childhood friend. The creator of the game helped co write the book so it does have some mythos from the games but is adapted to fit the medium better. All in all so far I am enjoying it much more than the games but it is more teen horror mystery than the jump scare try and figure it out of the games.

#1035 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• Members
  • 8340 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:51 PM

The Little White Trip by Peter Gallagher

He is the dude that sued Joss Whedon claiming he stole the Cabin in the Woods from said book so ever since I have been interested to check it out. Does it bare similarities? Yes as it's a horror story about a bunch of teens going on a holiday that share rough personalities though more bare boned and basic and one character shares a same and there is a sense of something not being right about it all. But other than that vastly different, but I mean by suing he managed to great some publicity for the book so if that is all he wanted it worked. It's not a bad book first third is pretty f***ing boring and a slog to get through but picks up when they leave to go on the trip. And if you are curious to the twist I shall put it in the spoiler text.

Spoiler

#1036 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4362 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

Got through the new Ken Follett, A Column of Fire, in about a week. Continuing from his medieval England stories and tackling the 16th Century, which I knew things about from 7th form history in 1998 woo!

Easily my favourite author, and this was possibly the best of the series thus far, and what a way to learn history as well, although mainly learning how incredibly dickish people were on the basis of religion. I mean it is still a major issue on a larger scale, but at least -our- society doesn't worry too much about it anymore. It was all pretty tough and go though.

#1037 Wozza

Wozza

The next test is impossible

• Members
  • 5796 posts
  • Xbox Live:Wozza NZGamer

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

Holy crap - haven't posted in ages. Books since then worth mentioning:

The Stars My Destination - Wow. Absolutely classic sci-fi. I heard it described as a Sci-Fi retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo - and it really is, but it is a lot more than that and I really enjoyed it.

Deepgate Codex - Really entertaining gothic fantasy series.

King Killer Chronicles - Sooooo good, until I realized the third part isn't written yet! I saw there were three books as I usually will not read an unfinished trilogy, but one was 2.5. Really annoyed as it's more three parts of one story than three related stories, so the story really is incomplete at the moment. Rage!

REAMDE - Very long with some slow parts, but very good story with some good characters. Some parts fast paced, some parts not so much, but did enjoy.

Children of Time - Very entertaining Sci-Fi, unless you don;t like spiders maybe?

Dark Matter - WOW. Read almost all of the book in one night then realized I had work the next day.

Old Mans War series - Very good apart from Zoe's Tale. First is a solid stand alone though.

Wayward Pines series - Loved it. much like his Dark Matter book - I was hooked! Fans of Twin Peaks will get a kick out of this.

Karlology - I love Karl Pilkington, very funny man!

Seveneves - Pacing is pretty slow in places, but very, very interesting Sci-Fi.

Promise Falls and Broken Promise - Enjoyed these thrillers!

The Sparrow and Children of God - Wow! Powerful Sci-Fi. Amazing books.

Guy Martin - When you Dead - Haha What a Guy! His books are easy to read and pretty entertaining for the most part. 

Harlen Coban - Myron Bolitar books. Easy to read and predictable, but always fun. Read one of these between serious or dark books sometime, but I think I have pretty much run out of this series now.

The Many Coloured Land - Interesting Sci-Fi/Fantasy - onto the second one now.

I would have read some others but either Goodreads doesn't have them in the right order which happens sometimes, or they are on my read list but I don't remember much about them.

I would have read some others but either Goodreads doesn't have them in the right order which happens sometimes, or they are on my read list but I don;t remember much about them.

Edited by Wozza, 23 October 2017 - 09:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users