Illmatic

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6262 posts
  • PSN:Stillmatic
  • Xbox Live:Stilmatik

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:23 PM

Just so people know what could be good, and what should definitely be avoided :(

Derailed: 7/10 (Drama / Thriller)
Not bad. Has a minor twist, but nothing to write home about

Inside Man: 9/10 (Drama / Thriller)
Great cast, great plot, great movie...

Hustle and Flow: 4/10 (Drama)
Pure crap, avoid at all costs!

Jay Z: Fade to Black: 9/10 (Music / Doco)
f***ing good. A great concert, and look behind the scenes of his last album

#2 dan2k

dan2k

PUT YOU IN MY OVEN

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 2748 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

Walk The Line: 9/10 (Drama)
an amazing look into the life of the "man in black", one worth renting or buying on dvd. No wonder the film got a couple of oscars.

Pirates of the carribean 2: 7/10 (Action/Adventure)
enjoyed it, has great special effects and good humor. but the endings pretty f***ed up (and it leaves it wide open for a sequel)

#3 Illmatic

Illmatic

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6262 posts
  • PSN:Stillmatic
  • Xbox Live:Stilmatik

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:52 PM

Mean Creek: 8.5/10 (Drama / Thriller)
Bloody good. Watch it.

#4 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 9407 posts
  • Steam ID:BanalityDUFF

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:53 PM

Anything Else (dunno . . . !)
Christina Ricci is hot. Nuff said.

#5 Mongrel_Rob

Mongrel_Rob

Riding eternal, shiny and gilded

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• 4095 posts
  • Xbox Live:Aviatora

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

Pirates Of the Carribean 2: 9/10 (Action/Adventure)
Excellent sequel, with some great humour, action and special effects.

Benchwarmers: 7/10 (Comedy)
Some funny bits in it make it worth watching.

Life On Mars: 10/10 (TV action/drama)
One of my new favourite shows. Only eight episodes long though... :(

Glory Road: 8/10 (drama)
Before seeing this I thought is was going to be like Coach Carter and Meet The Titans (neither of which I liked), which it was, but surprisingly I quite liked it.

#6 Daniel1987

Daniel1987
  • Xbox Live:Doonie67

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:58 PM

Miami Vice: 6.5/10

Boy alot of people will be disappointed! Bloody good start to the film as it introduces you to the characters and the opening plot etc then the pacing drops to a snails crawl during the middle, and the movie doesn't know what it's doing, it's like Mann said "well I dunno about the middle lets try this, or maybe this" and it really detracts from building Farrell's and Foxx's characters up. The end is good as there is loads of action and bloodshed, but by sitting through such a poorly paced, and directed, middle sequence the payoff, in some people's eyes, won't be worth it.

If you're expecting lots of action you may be disappointed, as about from the ending there is really lots of it. I may be over critical here, but I really felt let down on this one, and there was too much drama concentrated in the middle for my liking

Summing up start & ending = Really Good.
Middle = Bad.

#7 Chris

Chris

Playmaker

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 2752 posts
  • PSN:AnimalNZ-81
  • Xbox Live:L0kiNZ

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:49 AM

Boy alot of people will be disappointed! Bloody good start to the film as it introduces you to the characters and the opening plot etc then the pacing drops to a snails crawl during the middle, and the movie doesn't know what it's doing, it's like Mann said "well I dunno about the middle lets try this, or maybe this" and it really detracts from building Farrell's and Foxx's characters up. The end is good as there is loads of action and bloodshed, but by sitting through such a poorly paced, and directed, middle sequence the payoff, in some people's eyes, won't be worth it.

If you're expecting lots of action you may be disappointed, as about from the ending there is really lots of it. I may be over critical here, but I really felt let down on this one, and there was too much drama concentrated in the middle for my liking

Summing up start & ending = Really Good.
Middle = Bad.

damn....i'm walkin to this movie with alot of expectation....it just looks sooo f***in hot from the trailers and sh*t....

on a side note....we won't get Clerks 2 until December....that f***in blows goats....i wanna see the inter-species erotica scene damnit....HAHA....reading over the quotes and other sh*t off the net it sounds pretty hardcase....case in point the Ass to Mouth conversation....HAHAHA

#8 Chris Redfield

Chris Redfield

Don't stop now I am make cumming.

• Members
  • 18041 posts
  • Steam ID:Nims_is_te_Man
  • Wii:666
  • Xbox Live:lol nah

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:57 PM

/Disagree with D1987. Miami Vice was everything I expected. Yeah the middle was slow but that didn't detract from the film much at all in my eyes and the pay off was huge. The two things that did let me down was that the relationships between Foxx and Farrell and the one between Foxx and that chick weren't developed as well as they could have been. Overall it's a pretty awesome flick, my favourite of the year so far.

#9 Daniel1987

Daniel1987

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

/Disagree with D1987. Miami Vice was everything I expected. Yeah the middle was slow but that didn't detract from the film much at all in my eyes and the pay off was huge. The two things that did let me down was that the relationships between Foxx and Farrell and the one between Foxx and that chick weren't developed as well as they could have been. Overall it's a pretty awesome flick, my favourite of the year so far.

Maybe I was expecting too much action? As i didn't realy like the drama parts although that's just me.

If I didn't have huge expectations I probably would have enjoyed it a hell of a lot more.

#10 ellin

ellin
  • PSN:MEGAFORCE_

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:18 PM

...to the film movie as it...

...from the film movie much at...

Had to be a real wanker.

#11 Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok

The Legend of Swordhorse

• Members
  • 10472 posts
  • PSN:MrDeflok
  • Wii:7711 8664 2491 3649

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:31 PM

I'm with Dan on this one... I was expecting a good enjoyable flick which was smart, not much else. The action was great but the relationships between characters was really weak.

The film barely had any dialogue, and what little there was was muffled under mumbles or speaking in Espanol. There was almost ZERO chemistry between Riccardo and Sonny which makes absolutely no sense at all.

It had its moments, but they were too few and far between to redeem the slow-paced and unecessary bulk of the middle of the movie.

6/10, maybe 7, or maybe even 5.

#12 dan2k

dan2k

PUT YOU IN MY OVEN

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 2748 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

after seeing it last night, i'm agreeing with Deflok and Dan on miami vice.

i thought it was disappointing overall, considering the quality of Michael Manns last film (collateral was pure genius), and the quality of the TV Series.

Firstly there was no good storyline in it, the middle was a big disappointment (considering thats the bulk of the film), there were only a few good action scenes in it (which is why i stayed in the theatre instead of walking out), and some of the camera shots looked like it was shot by a 10 year old with a video-camera.

I got bored until the end shots of the film and time on my watch felt like it was going very very slowly.

i would give it a 4/10 though (the action scenes and explosions were the redeeming point of the film), but i defenently won't be getting it on dvd when its released.

#13 Daniel1987

Daniel1987

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

A-Ha I have a following.

Pirates OTC 2: 6.5/10

Boy what a difficult one to rank. Could be as low as 5 or as high as 7.5. A step down from the first one IMO, as the story is a bt more complex, and needs you to suspend your belief, but I hey I watch wrestling so I suppose I should be use to that.....

Nice little twist at the end, as it opens up further plotlines, and SHOULD allow for a bigger payoff come the next movie....

#14 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9407 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:02 PM

Silent Hill quite good. not scary. barely any tension. maybe 3 monster sequences. the end seemed very 'gamey'. the acting was pretty solid overall. the conclusion to me was confusing. the length wasn't an issue most reviewers seemed to have, i didn't notice it atleast.
Spoiler

i give it 7/10 though. definately a good watch.

Clerks 2 same as above, a good watch. they rehashed a couple scenes from the original movie which was quite annoying. the new themes/scenes were pretty much all great sh*t though. the new jay & silent bob were good stuff. the ending was really good. dante got fat. yep.
i give it 8/10. not as good as the original, but it never had a chance because i love the original a whole heap. everyone should see it, i might even get drunk and see it when it hits the cinemas here.

#15 Chris

Chris

Playmaker

• Members
  • 2752 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:27 PM

yeah i'm half and half on Vice....the start and end were cool....the whole thing with Sonny and the asian chick drag'd on....but over all i enjoyed....

i could have sworn that Chris Cornell had done some of the songs but when looking over the soundtrack he's not listed on there....bleh....

#16 Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok

The Legend of Swordhorse

• Members
  • 10472 posts
  • PSN:MrDeflok
  • Wii:7711 8664 2491 3649

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

Yeah there were about 4 Audioslave songs up ins, but none on the OST (which is still a good OST anyhow).

I saw United 93 today, was thoroughly impressed - quite intense. Shaky-cam was a bit much in some places though.

#17 Chris

Chris

Playmaker

• Members
  • 2752 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

Yeah there were about 4 Audioslave songs up ins, but none on the OST (which is still a good OST anyhow).

I saw United 93 today, was thoroughly impressed - quite intense. Shaky-cam was a bit much in some places though.

i thought so...i just couldn't place the songs...damn...

yeah i wanna see that united 93....looks f***in good....have to admit when i saw the preview for WTC i got a chill see some of those shots....i'm not really interested in Stones f***ing take on it...i'm sure he'll rape it for all he can...but United 93 is a must see...

#18 Chris Redfield

Chris Redfield

• Members
  • 18041 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

One of those Audioslave songs sounded very Un-Cornell like.

#19 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9407 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:06 PM

opps

uh

snakes on a plane it doesnt deserve a rating.

#20 Chris Redfield

Chris Redfield

• Members
  • 18041 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

Whoops, I meant Un-Morello like

2 user(s) are reading this topic