• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 czk51

czk51
  • PSN:cheradenineZ

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

F

Thanks for the good times! 

Edited by czk51, 18 December 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#42 my_r32

my_r32
  • PSN:my_zx6rr
  • Xbox Live:Crudbubbles

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

This is so sad, have been a member for a number of years but only became really active in the last couple due to GTA:O I'm gonna miss finding a good crew to jump on with in the new releases :(

Feel free to add me on psn and xb (hardly ever on xb though) and good ole facey https://www.facebook.com/my.r32

#43 cortez72

cortez72
  • PSN:cortez72

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:39 AM

Been around for just short of 10 years. I've made a routine of checking NZG every day, and even today I went to check it and sadly had no news to read.

I've always had more to say in the comments on the front page articles, than here in the forums. Confession time: If you ever found you had a random thumbs up on a comment in a front page article, that was me. Everyone who made a comment (provided it wasn't attacking another member), positive or negative got a thumbs up. My rationale was that we were all contributing to the discussion here at NZGamer, and that deserved a thumbs up.

So many people in the front page comments on the Closing Article have mentioned how nice this community is. That is one of the most appealing things about this site. It's why I'm not registered with IGN, or Polygon. or any of the large international sites. It's also why I've always come here first for my gaming news.

Very sorry to see it go. Made a lot of great friends here, fortunately that will continue, although I won't make any new friends through these channels which is a real shame.

#44 Xaphriel

Xaphriel

Chaos Wizard

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Steam ID:Xaphriel
  • PSN:Xaphriel

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

It’s always the good ones that go.

I moved to New Zealand three years ago, and NZGamer was one of my first stops. Then, while working a job I mostly hated, I met one of the former editors. We chatted about games, and he got me in contact with the team. As of now, I’ve been writing for NZGamer for almost two years; it’s the first gaming site I’ve written for, and I love it. It’s given me confidence in my writing, and played a part in getting me my current job in communications and journalism.

Plus, no one else would publish some of my more insane rants.

I’m gutted that it’s shutting down, and wish there was a way to keep it going. But maybe this is just its time. There will be a vacuum in the NZ gaming community, but who knows what the future will bring? A new site? Robot uprising? It’s wide open.

Shout out to the other writers, most of whom have been here longer than me, all of whom I enjoy reading on a regular basis. MAJOR shout out to Keith for shaping my diatribes into actual content, and to him and editors prior, for herding the cats that comprise the writers.

I’ll still be writing over at CultureJam.co.nz (can’t stop the signal baby), and probably be doing more there now, so if you want to read my take on whatever game happens to be in front of me at the time, that’s the place. All of my old stuff is being archived at Xaphriel.com, but I’m too lazy to actually build a brand from scratch so it’ll probably just be reposts of my other writing. Not very interesting, aside from use as a portfolio. I’m also going to start pitching other sites in earnest, so I dunno, maybe you’ll see me elsewhere eventually.

I’m on Twitter at twitter.com/xaphriel, where I shitpost on an alarmingly regular basis. Several of the other writers are also on there, and they’re all worth a follow. Probably gonna have to start using Discord now too, and I’m Xaphriel there too. HMU on PSN and Steam if you want, I still Overwatch on a regular basis if you want a decent support.

It’ll be different, but I’m confident the NZGamer community will survive somehow, in some form. I hope it does. I like you guys, and hope you’ve enjoyed the ride as much as I have.

GG, friends. GG.

Edited by Xaphriel, 18 December 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#45 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6007 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

This is so sad, have been a member for a number of years but only became really active in the last couple due to GTA:O I'm gonna miss finding a good crew to jump on with in the new releases :(

Feel free to add me on psn and xb (hardly ever on xb though) and good ole facey https://www.facebook.com/my.r32

Totally game related & all... You [assumedly] ride bikes, you just have the ZX?

#46 Meanvision

Meanvision
  • Steam ID:Meanvision
  • PSN:Meanvision
  • Xbox Live:Meanvision

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

Joined up to nzgamer a few months after I had a lung transplant, I've had second one since then, I also just reached Gold status

I think before I joined NZG I had about 4 friends on Xbox - now I've got 70+ I've also won my share of stuff, controllers, headsets, games. So its a sad day to hear the news

I would be also be keen to save the forums even if that means there is no prizes for community nights lol. There doesn't seem to be a gaming community like this one in nz.

Edited by Meanvision, 18 December 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#47 my_r32

my_r32
  • PSN:my_zx6rr
  • Xbox Live:Crudbubbles

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:39 PM

yup sure do :)

#48 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 6007 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

yup sure do :)

Cool, I've got a VFR700F (in rebuild), FXR150, & CR250, this summer is having me regret not getting the VFR700 finished sooner (it's been in pieces way too long)

#49 woosaah

woosaah
  • PSN:woosaah

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:35 AM

been around quite a while myself. more of a lurker than anything. Used to check here every day now it is occasionally as work/life gets in the way.

If there is interest in keeping this going I have a hosting account i could use... probably would need to run it on donations/ads though.

#50 SpawnSeekSlay

SpawnSeekSlay

Filthy Casual Console Peasant

• Members
  • 1425 posts
  • Steam ID:SpawnSeekSlay
  • PSN:SpawnSeekSlay

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

Hopefully the owners and main running staff keep us in the loop and be a bit more open and honest about what has happened and why. But also ways we can move forward constructively with as little damage as possible... especially to the community this site has garnered. I think most people that use the site at least would like the forum to be saved, whether this be moved, or taken over by members or a committee I dont know, but I do sincerely hope the owners of NZG at least are open to ways to save as much as possible of the community as a whole.

#51 captain X nz

captain X nz
  • PSN:captainx-nz
  • Xbox Live:captainxmas

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

If the NZG forum is going to vanish and you want to migrate somewhere - the old Buttonmasher NZ forums are still alive, just a bit of a ghost town these days.

I'm sure looking back at some of the old posts and discussions it would be a welcoming spot.

Just a thought.

http://buttonmasher.co.nz/forums/

#52 that_black_guy

that_black_guy
  • PSN:that_black_guy

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

Would be cool to hear from someone about possibly keeping the site alive. Like everyone has said, its such a good gaming community. Would be a shame to lose it.

I didnt even realise the buttonmasher forums were still going... atleast there'll still be somewhere to go with no douchebaggery

#53 Moeggo

Moeggo
  • Xbox Live:Moeggo

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

Yeah I just asked the same question on the main page.. I am happy to chip in a few $$ a year to keep this place going

Could one of the NZGamer Admin let us know!

#54 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 11119 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

They said in that thread they were going to stress questions and future plans after they had some time to process the decision.

So patience and crossed fingers.

#55 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• Members
  • 8459 posts
  • Steam ID:ZombieRawkMachine
  • PSN:ZombieRwkMachine
  • Xbox Live:DrSinIsIn

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:17 PM

Totally wouldn't expect to hear anything till mid Jan at the earliest. It's the busy time of year and all that.

Maybe we should put Monk out of the street corner with a save NZG sign till then.

#56 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 11119 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

Totally wouldn't expect to hear anything till mid Jan at the earliest. It's the busy time of year and all that.

Maybe we should put Monk out of the street corner with a save NZG sign till then.

I've been doing that for the last week.  But my street in Masterton doesn't have a lot of thoroughfare which means little sight on it.

#57 Outlaw213

Outlaw213

Ghost of Sparta

• Members
  • 1250 posts
  • Steam ID:Outlaw213
  • PSN:Outlaw213

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

They said in that thread they were going to stress questions and future plans after they had some time to process the decision.

So patience and crossed fingers.

If I remember correctly, not long ago when NZG were giving away VIP points, they mentioned something about more and exciting changes coming to the site and the VIP system...so I think the decision to close might have been something recent?

Either way I hope we get answers to some questions cause it did seem sudden and random, most importantly answers to how we can save NZG.

#58 MadCant

MadCant

Cyber love the anti-man, we make love because we can.

• NZGamer.com VIP Silver VIP

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • PSN:MadCant
  • Xbox Live:THEMADCLINT

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:20 PM

Might need to hook up a webcam Drunk - get some national & international coverage.

#59 Ron

Ron

Just working hard...

• Admin
  • 9122 posts
  • PSN:NZGamer dot com
  • Wii:What's a Wii?
  • Xbox Live:NZGamer dot com

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:04 PM

FYI -
http://nzgamer.com/n...zgamer-com.html

#60 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

Thats a clickbait title if I ever saw one, I went in expecting to see what they had planned for "The Future of NZGM" 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users