drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 11102 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:40 PM

Just wanted to throw a thread up to show thanks to the people of NZG.

From the moderators, to the game night hosts, to the writers, to the admins, to the owners to everyone I have missed.

These forums have been light on moderation, strong on quality,  And looking at other areas of the internet, found this to be a surprisingly respectful place.

In my years here I have learned a lot and had some big opinion shifts, learning about new an unique perspectives.

I have laughed, and enjoyed the ride, and enjoyed interactions with so many members. 

XqFIb0P.png

So throw some love for the people who have mad this place great!

Also throw up any social media if you want people to contact/follow ya.

I only recently started twittering here: https://twitter.com/Drunk_Monk_NZ

gonna miss this place!

#2 atipuss

atipuss
  • Steam ID:atimewmew
  • PSN:atipuss
  • Xbox Live:atipuss

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

Omggg I was going to make the same thread!!!

#3 Syn-Ryn

Syn-Ryn

Scrublord

• 8306 posts
  • Steam ID:steamcommunity.com/id/MADSUPERVILLAIN
  • Xbox Live:Blale

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

Literally just posted a thread up in general gaming, I was too slow, gonna pin this one instead.

The NZGamer Discord is still up over here if you want somewhere to chat. Might try revamp it a bit if there's an influx of new people.

6015067182_c0a6fd0e8f.png

also my very bad twitter where i dont post anything of any worth: https://twitter.com/shitcvnt

#4 sassydot

sassydot

Queen of Forza

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Gaming Night Host
  • 3917 posts
  • Steam ID:sassydot
  • Xbox Live:sassydot

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:48 PM

https://www.facebook...100009226850699

#5 atipuss

atipuss
  • Steam ID:atimewmew
  • PSN:atipuss
  • Xbox Live:atipuss

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

Beat me by two minutes! Anyway well said monk..... same here... Nzgamer is the first place I found on internet 5 years ago. We got internet hook up on our ps3s since both 360 had ROD (RIP) and discovered the joy of mp on consoles namely STARHAWK... at first I was like wow I am playing with people all around the world...hey they belong to clan of some sort.... I want to be part of clan too ..clan tags are cool.... only to realize most are in USA so I typed in NZgaming on google and here I am since 2012... pretty much log on everyday. .. so thank you.... and good luck to all. GG
https://www.facebook.com/ati.mew

Edited by atipuss, 15 December 2017 - 05:58 PM.

#6 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• Members
  • 3630 posts
  • PSN:Dvst8u

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

Thanks everyone
Has truly been a pleasure to be apart of the community. March would of been my 10 year anniversary. I don't think I've ever had a negative experience at all over the years. Hats off to everyone who I've played with and got to know on a slightly more personal basis. Have had fantastic luck with the competitions here and am sad to see the forums go down as well. Not the end tho!

Cheers nzgamer team. Good luck all and I'm sure I'll see ya out There! Nzgamer BBQ at atis I Heard??

Edit: i don't have social media. Its the devil.

Edited by Dvst8u, 15 December 2017 - 06:58 PM.

#7 Valsira

Valsira

Megidolaon cute!

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1043 posts
  • Steam ID:Valsira
  • PSN:Valsira

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

Thanks so much to all the staff of NZG, and to everyone who has made these forums such a great community to be a part of. I first joined this site in 2008, just after I finished high school, so this place has been a constant for me all my adult life. Feels like my internet home, y'know? I'm gonna miss this place too  :heart:

#8 Bunnny

Bunnny

Member Since 23 Nov 2006

• Tester
  • 6156 posts
  • Steam ID:BuNNNy_
  • PSN:BuNNNy_
  • Xbox Live:BuNNNy

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:30 PM

Still want to chat there be a discord, link in the sig.

its a bit spicy with memes but hey, it is what you make it. :P

#9 Falcone0

Falcone0
  • Steam ID:Falcone0
  • Xbox Live:Falcone00

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:57 PM

Thanks NZG for the prizes the good reads and the awesome people. All the best to staff going forward.

#10 Koopa18

Koopa18
  • PSN:galaxiid
  • Wii:galaxiid (nintendo network id)
  • Xbox Live:gravitygrace

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

Damn. Stopped posting much these last few years but had some good times on these forums and msn (jesus that dates how long ive been on here) etc over the last decade. Nice knowing (a small percentage of) ya.

#11 djkicks

djkicks

Misa <3

• Tester
  • 11218 posts
  • Steam ID:ProfessorKicks
  • Xbox Live:Chalcopyrite

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

Damn. I've been coming to NZG for 11 and a half years. Over 11,000 posts. NZG has been my #1 website for pretty much the whole time I've had access to the internet. Back when I had dial up. I've been on other forums but no where else had a community as awesome as this one. I dont play game as much as I used to so dont get involved with the gaming topics that often but always still enjoy reading posts and the non gaming stuff. Won heaps of games from comps over the years too. NZG has always been awesome with the competitions. Met about 30 nzggers in real life from when I've been in Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch. From all those years ago when I first met Ruptunix and Xyttik almost 10 years ago to just a couple months ago saw Xenojay at the Armageddon expo. I have a lot of fond memories of gaming nights. Halo 3, COD4, MW2, MvC2, Gears of War 2 (I told you I dont game much any more :P) and the massive MSN group chats from back in the day.

So many memories on this site...

Remember when NZG had the big site overhaul and had blogs and reviews on the front page, then Slaf wrote a blog about taking a crap and from then on all blogs needed to be approved before posting haha.

Remember when NZG had the first forums competition and you just had to post in the competition thread to win and it turned into a massive spam contest.

Remember when NZG did another big update and brought in VIP (I was instant 4 star gold cos im OG ;))

Remember when NZG did podcasts?

Remember cute maori?

Remember all the people who had big arguments about stuff and too it too seriously and then got banned? Entertaining stuff.

<3

#12 Syn-Ryn

Syn-Ryn

Scrublord

• 8306 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:22 PM

Is this when you reveal you were actually Misa Campo this whole time?

#13 djkicks

djkicks

Misa <3

• Tester
  • 11218 posts
  • Steam ID:ProfessorKicks
  • Xbox Live:Chalcopyrite

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:27 PM

Im the dog with the Santa hat. Also where is everyones santa hat avatars!? Its XMAS!

#14 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12503 posts
  • PSN:foxymcstupid

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:27 PM

Remember when NZG had the big site overhaul and had blogs and reviews on the front page, then Slaf wrote a blog about taking a crap and from then on all blogs needed to be approved before posting haha.

Good times. My GF also made an account, then wrote a weirdly in depth blog about horses.

Also shout out goes to the bickering. Li, Jaz, Red, Uber, Scuba, Matt (I can't remember your username) and that guy who got butthurt over photoshop. The thought that someone is getting angry in real life over some stupid sh*t anonymous strangers say over the net always humours me.

#15 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

What's goin on

#16 Outlaw213

Outlaw213

Ghost of Sparta

• Members
  • 1249 posts
  • Steam ID:Outlaw213
  • PSN:Outlaw213

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:50 PM

Wait, what!? What's going on!?

I've had a busy day and finally sat down to visit NZG only to see that it's closing down! Was not expecting this at all, I...I got no words 

I've not been a member as long as most of you guys but I was a lurker long before 2013, back when I used to play Killzone 2 and Bad Company 2 with some of the NZGAMERS but the last 4 years have been a blast being part of the great community here.

It's going to take some time to get over this :(

Edited by Outlaw213, 15 December 2017 - 09:51 PM.

#17 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9414 posts
  • Steam ID:BanalityDUFF

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:52 PM

Just saw this on my facebook feed and now my brain is all wired. 

Nice while it lasted, fellahs!

I'll throw out some history from the earlier days of NZG for no ones sake but my own.

NZG started from one kids dream - Ellin's. He had a website, GeckoCubed/NZCUBED.

Chris Redfield and I used to talk sh*t on the Nintendo chat (nintendo.co.nz had a chat box which consisted solely of Redfield and I) and one day Ellin dropped the link for GeckoCubed which had a forums!

Redfield and I spammed the living sh*t out of the GeckoCubed forums in a manner you newbs just wouldn't understand. 20+ page threads of just us going back and forth and if a new person ever appeared (Starlith you beautiful bastard!) we were delighted but most faded away, unable to keep up with our epic rants about nothing.

After rocking GeckoCubed for a while, Ellin had bigger dreams of a site that covered more than just Nintendo games.

I was in! We smacked together a dirty website that would become NZGamer 1.0.

When we first launched these new forums, neither Ellin or I knew databases properly and we f***ed up the first go around. You'll notice there are no members 1 or 2, that was us and they got lost but somehow still counted on the database. So Ellin is member 3 and I was member 4 (clearly, the 2nd go around went a lot better).

From memory, Redfield may have written a piece or two for NZGamer 1.0 and FaPo did too!

We mostly stole new stories from Gamespy. It was good.

We used to have to download a copy of the main page .html from the ftp and manually update news stories and hope no one else was doing it at the same time. We moved to glorious .shtml at some point, it was grand in comparison.

We had a really shitty rivalry of sorts going with VGNZ - videogames.co.nz - which at the time was run by actual adults rather than a bunch of teenagers with shitty grammar (us!). I recalled Phoenix and Ellin getting screenshots of a new layout videogames.co.nz was going to get and us all have a good laugh at it - not that out shitty website was much better.

When Phoenix and Dannyboy shuttered their website (can't remember the name, it was sh*t) one of the first things they wanted to write about was soccer. Like actual, sports, outside, soccer. I was not impressed, but Ellin didn't care. I think they might have even put an article up about it (This was NZGamer 2.0). I can't think which of them did it, but I want to say Phoenix?!

The guys (Ellin, Phoenix, Dannyboy) got 'serious' and wanted a big update so they pooled money (I was piss broke so couldn't contribute) for what I guess could be considered NZGamer 3.0 aka the orange one. The guy who made it, surprisingly, came from videogames.co.nz.

Overtime everyone sort of left. I left cause it stopped being fun (Phoenix/Dannyboy wanted us to be more serious, I wanted us to not be). Ellin left too to seek out new ventures and slowly all the old guard passed.

NZGamer was a huge chunk of my teenage years and was a great place to talk with people about a hobby that wasn't quite as mainstream in NZ as it is now. Whatever ups and downs I've had with the place over the years it will forever hold a place in my heart.

Keep ya heads up team.

If anyone's on Steam, add me up! I think I'm friends with a heap of ya but just in case not!

#18 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

Thanks NZG!

#19 Syn-Ryn

Syn-Ryn

Scrublord

• 8306 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:00 PM

the massive MSN group chats from back in the day.

Probably my fondest NZG memories. I'm not sure if I would have expected NZGamer to live longer than MSN.

#20 predatorhunter

predatorhunter

Obsessed with Gears of War

• Members
  • 4466 posts
  • Xbox Live:themainman21

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

Quick someone start a gofundme page for nzg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users