Photo

PlayStation Store 12 Deals of Christmas 2017

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 whatsupmyninja

whatsupmyninja
  • PSN:SizeNZ

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

I'm pretty sure they could stop it if they wanted to but don't care enough to stop it.

They could easily for example limit a console to only shop where the console is when set up and only let that change when you factory reset.

The fact that they let multiple region accounts exist on one machine and share games tells me it's not an insidious move to not let you change your region but oikely a limitation of PSN.

This better never change - My PS+ and almost all game purchases are through the US Store!

#82 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 11119 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

Yea it's great. Especially if you want games that aren't sold here.

#83 Metdevil

Metdevil
  • PSN:metdevil678

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

I'm pretty sure they could stop it if they wanted to but don't care enough to stop it.

They could easily for example limit a console to only shop where the console is when set up and only let that change when you factory reset.

The fact that they let multiple region accounts exist on one machine and share games tells me it's not an insidious move to not let you change your region but oikely a limitation of PSN.

Just about the only way they can prevent is by removing game sharing, which is a bit of a dick punch to anyone who doesn't live alone or have friends (ie, everyone).
As long as you can make an account and purchase games on a smartphone, you'll be able to abuse it.
But like Ninja said, it better not change, I abuse it for the US deals and there are better themes on the US store :P
Just sucks that you can't share avatars :(

#84 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 11119 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

Just about the only way they can prevent is by removing game sharing, which is a bit of a dick punch to anyone who doesn't live alone or have friends (ie, everyone).
As long as you can make an account and purchase games on a smartphone, you'll be able to abuse it.
But like Ninja said, it better not change, I abuse it for the US deals and there are better themes on the US store :P
Just sucks that you can't share avatars :(

Or lock down consoles to only have one regions accounts on it.

Or lock down game sharing between regions. They lock down DLC. There is no way it would be that hard to lock down if They really wanted to.

#85 Metdevil

Metdevil
  • PSN:metdevil678

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

Or lock down consoles to only have one regions accounts on it.

Or lock down game sharing between regions. They lock down DLC. There is no way it would be that hard to lock down if They really wanted to.

All of this is opening up a lot of deeper issues the more I think about it. Locking a console to one region would mean needing to allow changing regions, since if you move then the console is basically not usable unless you abandon your account. And that doesn't just mean moving between countries. Different States have different tax rules for digital purchases (pro tip, if you're making a US account, set your address to Oregon, they have no tax on the PSN store), simply crossing state lines would lock anyone else out of your console. They would really need to chose if they want to upset a lot of legitimate users of the feature just to stop people from abusing it.

And DLC is locked to the regional version of the game, it's not a restriction on Sony's part, it's an ESRB/PEGI restriction.

If they really wanted to, they could, but there are a lot more legitimate users of gamesharing that you'd impact in the process.

I'm happy to just not tempt them :P

#86 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 11119 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

Nah there has been region locking of discs and consoles in the past and it didn't go as strictly as state lines.  So they could lock it that tightly, or as loosely as they wanted.

My point is if they really wanted to stop you buying form Aus and playing on your NZ account they could, and would.

I really think they couldn't give less of a f**k.  If you were moving permanently to Aus they would say just change the region of your console since you're making a new account.  And people who had legitimate reasons to have multiple region-ed accounts on their console would be a rare exception.

I suspect the lack of changing regions is due to the shite infrastructure that stops them letting people change their PSN names, which people have bleated about for years.

Edited by drunk_monk, 28 December 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#87 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:52 AM

They could lock very simply by region the way they do for the tv shows they have. I could always add the free tv shows on us account but it never let me watch them because I was not in us.
I’m glad they choose not too though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users