Photo

The Weekend Chat: Have You Ever Sworn Off a Game?

The Weekend Chat have your say community Star Wars Battlefront 2 EA DICE

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NZGamer

NZGamer

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

11570-standout.jpg

Star Wars Battlefront II launched this week, and pockets of the internet were not happy. Be it the hubbub around microtransactions, pivoting on the progression, to having the most downvoted post on Reddit,EA and DICE’s latest sci-fi shooter has found itself in the middle of a very unflattering spotlight.

Reactions and comments have run the gamut, from statements like “just vote with your wallet,” to some denouncing the publisher’s products all together. Which raises an interesting question:

Have you ever sworn off a game or series entirely?

Was it because of the publisher’s practices? Or a change in direction? Or something more personal?

Have your say over at NZGamer.com, or in the comments below!

#2 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4458 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

Temporarily at least. Not getting Forza Motorsport 7 because it adds very little of interest over 6, focusing on driver gear that surely no one ever asked for, at the expense of more tracks that people are always clamouring for, even just the return of many from earlier in the series. And they pretended they added far more cars than they actually did. Plus Horizon 3 was such a disappointment compared to 2.

Historically I can't think of other examples of swearing off, but I never got Legacy of the Void; kind of stopped RTS play, and PC play for the most part, and the story was apparently nothing to write home about.

Other series got worse but I stuck with them, and then just went back to the previous ones as that was an option. Escape Velocity - peaked with Override, Nova was more just an interactive novel, and even that is 15 years old now, sad. Warlords - peaked with 2 and 3, 4 was a disappointment, and then the devs switched to making match-3 games, even sadder.

The best example could be WoW, but it's more just managing not to buy the new stuff. Have not done Legion at all, and now the announcement of Classic Servers in the future is more exciting to me than any new content really could be. It is just a shame that the next new zones are the most relevant to the Vanilla world we have had in ages. If only they would start a new trajectory from Vanilla based on the original plans - Dragon Isles, rather different Quel'Thalas, Undermine, Azshara Crater, and so on. Would be very interesting.

#3 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

Deus ex mankind decided and shadow of war. Both because of micro transactions in a single player game. Even if deus’s were put in literally the last month I won’t support that at all. There’s plenty to play without that crap in games.
Multiplayer games with ongoing server costs etc I’m a little more leniant on, especially games like Gta online where it’s online on top of an already huge single player experience. Destiny 2 seems to have done it ok too.

#4 Rapidity

Rapidity
  • NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• [NZGR] - Clan Killzone 2
  • 2325 posts
  • PSN:Cruise_Elroy
  • Xbox Live:Cruise Elroy

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

I posted this on the front page article but I guess I'll post it here to

The following list is every game, I can currently think of, that I've been tempted to buy over the past few years, but haven't due to one controversy or another and instead deciding to make a personal stand, even though I realise it will have little to no affect.

Watch Dogs, Watch Dogs 2

For Honour

Ghost Recon: Wildlands

Every Assassins Creed (except Origins because I love Ancient Egypt)

Far Cry 4, Primal and probably 5

Mass Effect: Andromeda (Consider that 1-3 are my favourite games of all time)

Star Wars: Battlefront and now STBF2

Need for Speed and now Need for Speed: Payback

Middle-earth: Shadow of War

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

Call of Duty series

Edited by Rapidity, 18 November 2017 - 01:37 PM.

#5 Frankorewweera

Frankorewweera
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

reishi extract

#6 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5369 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

Yeah Forza Motorsport for me too. The series started well but it lost its way, choosing to go down the path of arcade gameplay, selling existing content from past iterations as DLC car packs, and finally micro$ booster packs of garbage. Yunno, normal modern day game stuff.

#7 ricky1981

ricky1981
  • Xbox Live:ricky1981

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

Deus ex mankind decided and shadow of war. Both because of micro transactions in a single player game. Even if deus’s were put in literally the last month I won’t support that at all. There’s plenty to play without that crap in games.
Multiplayer games with ongoing server costs etc I’m a little more leniant on, especially games like Gta online where it’s online on top of an already huge single player experience. Destiny 2 seems to have done it ok too.

For what it's worth, you're missing out with Deus Ex and the microtransactions really are optional and I'd say they would actually spoil the early flow of the game.

Shadow of War is a different story, the microtransactions cut out on a heap of grinding and the game itself really doesn't add much over the original.

#8 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

For what it's worth, you're missing out with Deus Ex and the microtransactions really are optional and I'd say they would actually spoil the early flow of the game.

Shadow of War is a different story, the microtransactions cut out on a heap of grinding and the game itself really doesn't add much over the original.

Ya I heard that its a good game, but I have enough games to play without supporting that kind of design. I know its ballanced without them, but the fact that the story is unfinished and part of an on going story, that they announced they were not going to finish, I dont see the point in investing in that. 

Besides, f*** paying for a game that charges for cheatcodes in single player. 

#9 that_black_guy

that_black_guy
  • PSN:that_black_guy

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

Im ok with microtransactions like Overwatch or AC Origins. Because you dont feel forced to forkout for them. But stuff like SWBF2 and NBA2K18, its not just P2W... 2K in particular, its basically pay2play

#10 Meanvision

Meanvision
  • Steam ID:Meanvision
  • PSN:Meanvision
  • Xbox Live:Meanvision

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

Battlefront 2 is the first one for me that I have been keen to get up until everything went downhill, I did still think about it last week when watching some twitch gameplay But decided against it, I picked up battlefront 1 when it was about 15$ and enjoyed it, so it's a shame really.

#11 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5369 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

I've sworn at a fair few games in my life, just saying.

#12 djkicks

djkicks

Misa <3

• Tester
  • 11218 posts
  • Steam ID:ProfessorKicks
  • Xbox Live:Chalcopyrite

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:07 PM

After assassins creed 2 the most boring game ive player i stopped with the series.

#13 EmilioRan

EmilioRan
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

I've had the opposite. I saw that awful campaign on Twitch and it only made me want to buy the game less. On topic, I know I've sworn off games before, but I don't remember which exactly believe it or not.

#14 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5369 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:21 PM

I've had the opposite. I saw that awful campaign on Twitch and it only made me want to buy the game less. On topic, I know I've sworn off games before, but I don't remember which exactly believe it or not.
Hmm, which campaign? I've not seen it.
The kind of game you like will affect your game play experience, i guess, but most of my favourite games have given me grief along the way. It's fun to play difficult games, if they're difficult in the right way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Weekend Chat, have your say, community, Star Wars Battlefront 2, EA, DICE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users