Photo

Micro Transactions and Lootboxes! It gets worse?!?!

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 my_r32

my_r32
  • PSN:my_zx6rr
  • Xbox Live:Crudbubbles

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:16 AM

This is why I hate shark cards in gtao.... Made everything in the game too God damn expensive so people felt inclined to take the easy way instead of grind their way through the game.

#22 RKO_NZ

RKO_NZ

www.obsrv.org

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1391 posts
  • Steam ID:Fnpwnage
  • PSN:NiueanNemesis
  • Xbox Live:TERMINATOR NZL

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:25 AM

Thats the main reason why I don't play GTA 5 as much as I did 4. I don't mind grinding to buy new items, but some are just beyond a far fetched asking price. Today is the last day (maybe tomorrow as its set at the US Date) but just by logging into GTA Online youll get 400k free next week. Trying to intice people back, with that 400K you'd be lucky enough to be able to buy a engine upgrade and a spoiler on one of the new cars.

#23 czk51

czk51
  • PSN:cheradenineZ

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Just on microtransactions, and this is a little bit different from the SoM or even SWBF2 scenarios but thought I'd drop my experiences with my kid. 

I download free games for my son on his Android tablet for him to play on the weekends. I make sure they are reputable sources, like the official companies, and go into it knowing full well they are littered with micro transactions and paid booster packs.

In the past, he's enjoyed the Cars game which was also free and I've had zero issues paying a bit of cash towards ingame gems to help him progress (you use the gems to purchase new vehicles or tracks). I explain that the game is free and that sometimes it's good to put up for the hard work that's gone into development. It's a fair system: you can grind it out or purchase exactly what you need.

I recently purchased Fifa 18 on Switch which has the 'pack' based unlockable items and I know it's a satisfying feeling earning these, then opening them to see what you get. Takes me wayyyyy back to the good ol' days saving up for Garage Pail Kids cards at the dairy. In Fifa I find it easy enough to earn the money in game then buy the packs (actually Ive since learned it's easier to buy on the market but that's beside the point)

The latest one I downloaded for my son is a Nina Turtles game, also free, and has the same 'card packs' as paid features. So what my son, 5 years old, is seeing in game is the ability to purchase these card packs and improve his play time. The key difference here I'm getting at was that Cars and other games feature either an ingame currency that you can purchase like gems, to put towards something in the game, and then you have paid gambling with the mystery packs of cards. 

I'm all too familiar with that little dopamine hit you get when you open them, then more importantly, the crushing defeat when you either get garbage cards or duplicates. 

Who knows what algorythems or pre-checks go into these to see what you currently have, what you need, and what will get you spending more money. 

It's led to a lot more explaining, coz he often says 'it's only a dollar to get another pack' kinda thing. 

TLDR / Summary: this stuff ain't going away and kids are going to be exposed to it early. There needs to be education on these coz I think that it can quickly ramp up to addiction + massive lists of transactions for the vulnerable. 

I've made sure that my credit card details are locked behind a password just in case!! 

Edited by czk51, 06 November 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#24 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 11102 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

Explanation makes a whole lot of sense. The threat isn't to gamers like us, it's to parents who don't know the thrat/risk.

#25 harrythompson

harrythompson
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

Thats the main reason why I don't play GTA 5 as much as I did 4. I don't mind grinding to buy new items, but some are just beyond a far fetched asking price. Today is the last day (maybe tomorrow as its set at the US Date) but just by logging into GTA Online youll get 400k free next week. Trying to intice people back, with that 400K you'd be lucky enough to be able to buy a engine upgrade and a spoiler on one of the new cars.

Totally agree with you. That's a real reap off. I believe that gamers should unite against in-game micro transactions. 

#26 cortez72

cortez72
  • PSN:cortez72

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:21 AM

Just on microtransactions, and this is a little bit different from the SoM or even SWBF2 scenarios but thought I'd drop my experiences with my kid.

I download free games for my son on his Android tablet for him to play on the weekends. I make sure they are reputable sources, like the official companies, and go into it knowing full well they are littered with micro transactions and paid booster packs.

In the past, he's enjoyed the Cars game which was also free and I've had zero issues paying a bit of cash towards ingame gems to help him progress (you use the gems to purchase new vehicles or tracks). I explain that the game is free and that sometimes it's good to put up for the hard work that's gone into development. It's a fair system: you can grind it out or purchase exactly what you need.

I recently purchased Fifa 18 on Switch which has the 'pack' based unlockable items and I know it's a satisfying feeling earning these, then opening them to see what you get. Takes me wayyyyy back to the good ol' days saving up for Garage Pail Kids cards at the dairy. In Fifa I find it easy enough to earn the money in game then buy the packs (actually Ive since learned it's easier to buy on the market but that's beside the point)

The latest one I downloaded for my son is a Nina Turtles game, also free, and has the same 'card packs' as paid features. So what my son, 5 years old, is seeing in game is the ability to purchase these card packs and improve his play time. The key difference here I'm getting at was that Cars and other games feature either an ingame currency that you can purchase like gems, to put towards something in the game, and then you have paid gambling with the mystery packs of cards.

I'm all too familiar with that little dopamine hit you get when you open them, then more importantly, the crushing defeat when you either get garbage cards or duplicates.

Who knows what algorythems or pre-checks go into these to see what you currently have, what you need, and what will get you spending more money.

It's led to a lot more explaining, coz he often says 'it's only a dollar to get another pack' kinda thing.

TLDR / Summary: this stuff ain't going away and kids are going to be exposed to it early. There needs to be education on these coz I think that it can quickly ramp up to addiction + massive lists of transactions for the vulnerable.

I've made sure that my credit card details are locked behind a password just in case!!

How bad is it that this practice features in children’s games! Trying to normalise this attitude towards gaming for the next generation, that’s the real threat, not just that it continues- but that it becomes the norm.

As for free to play. If a free to play title deserves my money I’ll pay the value of a game towards it, but I draw the line, I’m not going to be a whale, and I’m not going to keep filling their coffers unless the content is worth my time. I’d still rather pay once for the product up front, and dip in 6 months later if they expand the game.

#27 czk51

czk51
  • PSN:cheradenineZ

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

How bad is it that this practice features in children’s games! Trying to normalise this attitude towards gaming for the next generation, that’s the real threat, not just that it continues- but that it becomes the norm.

As for free to play. If a free to play title deserves my money I’ll pay the value of a game towards it, but I draw the line, I’m not going to be a whale, and I’m not going to keep filling their coffers unless the content is worth my time. I’d still rather pay once for the product up front, and dip in 6 months later if they expand the game.

Just for clarification, when I said education I mean parents and kids alike. 

To be fair: I'm not sure off the top of my head what the age restriction of the game was. It's possible it didn't apply since it's through my account. I have complete control over what he downloads, and I'll put my hand up and say poor form if I didn't read the find print. It's still lead to discussions about microtransactions and like I said earlier - RNG existed when I was a kid when we used to buy trading cards from the dairy. I remember at around 6 or 7 being utterly obsessed with getting certain cards, and this was over 30 years ago. Targeting kids to nag their parents for an ingame paid upgrade or reward feels like the modern day equivalent to advertising on telly for toys during after-school cartoons. 

As a parent, it's a quick and easy fix to enable these transactions. I'm speaking for myself obviously but in doing so I'm recognizing the problem. 

#28 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

Games have replaced toys in a way.

I have a stack of old trading cards, WWF, Batman movie, GI Joe. You’d buy the pack, chew the gum and get excited over your new cards. Then you’d sit for hours and examine them, shuffle them, order them. Makes me a bit emotional thinking about it, wasn’t something I’ve thought of for some time.

But the practice was different, trading cards have existed since the 50’s with only the packaging and content changing. In far less time the gaming industry has evolved into a far different beast. I’d hate to see games becoming a source of frustration when they have until recently been such a source of joy. The younger generations should get to experience what we experienced a kids, but on a grander scale.

#29 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• Members
  • 8455 posts
  • Steam ID:ZombieRawkMachine
  • PSN:ZombieRwkMachine
  • Xbox Live:DrSinIsIn

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

#30 Outlaw213

Outlaw213

Ghost of Sparta

• Members
  • 1249 posts
  • Steam ID:Outlaw213
  • PSN:Outlaw213

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:08 AM

The way things are going, few more years and gaming will be dead to me.

#31 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

What a frustrating time to be a gamer. The graphic technology is at an all time high, but the craftsmanship is at an all time low. More bugs and more micro transactions in every release, and they think the ‘gamer’ will just accept it?

#32 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

What a frustrating time to be a gamer. The graphic technology is at an all time high, but the craftsmanship is at an all time low. More bugs and more micro transactions in every release, and they think the ‘gamer’ will just accept it?

They're only making whatever's the most profitable, so that's pretty clear evidence that the gamers are accepting it.

#33 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

They're only making whatever's the most profitable, so that's pretty clear evidence that the gamers are accepting it.

It’s definitely our gaming communities fault for being indifferent or complacent about it. Which is why I think discussions like we have going on in our forum here are so important. It may seem like complaining, but I (and others who share my view, perhaps even yourself) need to be a bit firm in opposition to this practice.

Some feel the arguement is coming ‘too late’, but as evidence by what has happened in Star Wars Battlefront 2, the topic is at boiling point. There is truth we as a community let it go too long. But we can correct the course if we just be a bit selective with what games we support going forward.

#34 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Undeniably Caffienated.

• Members
  • 2431 posts
  • PSN:DocChrisNZ

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

So EA have pulled the Microtransactions for the time being on Battlefront II, still not going to entice me to buy the game. Do people think it was the pressure from Disney (Gambling in a Disney game :evil: ) , cancelled preorders or pressure from the gaming community online? I think the first two are more likely to have moved EA but for PR purposes they will point to the latter.

Edited by CoffeeAddict, 19 November 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#35 Syn-Ryn

Syn-Ryn

Scrublord

• 8306 posts
  • Steam ID:steamcommunity.com/id/MADSUPERVILLAIN
  • Xbox Live:Blale

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

pressure from Disney (Gambling in a Disney game :evil: )

Why would anyone think Disney wasn't fully supportive of the microtransactions in that game?

#36 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 11102 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

I suspect it was Disney and the fierce negative press + cancelled preorders.

It's not bloggers opposing an element of a film, it was negative messages EVERYWHERE.

Disney probably got flooded with messages too and it may just be on a level new to them.

My cynical brain thinks no matter how unethical it was Disney wouldn't have cared of they made the money.

#37 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

Disney was getting flooded with Tweet’s using #Disney #gambling. I’d say that had something to do with it. But there are tonnes of factors, as Monk states above.

#38 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Undeniably Caffienated.

• Members
  • 2431 posts
  • PSN:DocChrisNZ

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

I would say its the negative connotations with children and gambling #Disney #gambling like Cortez said that Disney would react to rather than a money making franchise that might not be liked. 

#39 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

ohhh I like that. Start a trend Coffee Addict! that will fix it :)

#40 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• Members
  • 8455 posts
  • Steam ID:ZombieRawkMachine
  • PSN:ZombieRwkMachine
  • Xbox Live:DrSinIsIn

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

Plus the fact that some countries are trying the game as gambling and if they are found guilty that's an entire country of sales gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users