Photo

Micro Transactions and Lootboxes! It gets worse?!?!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

http://www.rollingst...e-items-w509288

When will this sh*t end? I thought the Starwars or Shadow of Mordor was bad, this is just freaky. Instead of match making to put players with even skill, this is the opposite. 

"For instance, the microtransaction engine may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player."

so they put a good player, with a newbie, to kill him alot, then flash an add at the newbie, to make him think its all in the gun, so he can buy it and be just as good? Wait theres more...

"For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results."

Thats some seriously manipulative sh*t there. They claim that they have not done it yet, but they also are not obliged to tell us weather it is in there or not, so we just have to trust them. Haha

#2 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3550 posts
  • PSN:Dvst8u

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

i dont trust anyone :ph34r:

#3 Unfathomable-Ruination

Unfathomable-Ruination

Trophy Hunter Extraordinaire

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1204 posts
  • PSN:SecondGenesis
  • Xbox Live:GoreFlame

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

It won't end, as long as people keep buying them, they'll keep pumping them into games.

#4 cortez72

cortez72
  • PSN:cortez72

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

Haha, I was joking about RNG in the Shadow of War being geared to promote sales- and here it is!

#5 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

That’s just it too. There’s nothing saying they can’t mess with lootbox odds. So why wouldn’t they?

#6 Jenesyde

Jenesyde
  • Xbox Live:Jenesyde

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

https://www.polygon....ons-legality-uk

#7 RKO_NZ

RKO_NZ

www.obsrv.org

• Members
  • 1385 posts
  • Steam ID:Fnpwnage
  • PSN:NiueanNemesis
  • Xbox Live:TERMINATOR NZL

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

That south park episode was too true. The Microtransactions are taking over and going to kill us!

I don't think any game I've played in the past couple months have NOT had some sort of microtransactions, its at the point where they've migrated into the game so much I don't even notice them (or its me just getting use to them being the norm "which is bad!")

From what I've purchased lately, the one that would stand out most would be NBA2K Virtual Currency, as this years game it does feel really forced that a purchase is needed to progress through the game. One of my fav games (And a lot of this community members are a fan of) is R6 Siege. although I don't feel the need at all to purchase them as I think  Ubisoft "finally" did something decent and made the Alpha Packs (aka lootboxes) earnable through the game and high increased chances to get a pack by winning games so it also gives your team a reason  to put effort into the game which I like

#8 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

Gaming used to be about you vs the CPU. The CPU didn’t cheat, it posed a challenge. Then online gaming became popular, and players cheated, so your skill was now tested against real people with skill and player exploits. Then game producers found a way to monitise the exploits. Then it became you vs Game Publishers.

There was a time when playing meant progression. But those who struggled would enter cheat codes to boost health or lives. More people would play with cheats than without. I remember a time when all we did at school was write out cheat codes for each other- ask around for how to get 5 lives instead of three in Streets of Rage. Game publishers found a way to monitise cheats. And then it became pay to progression.

#9 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5310 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

https://www.polygon....ons-legality-uk

Good! Well done to that little island.
There is a lot to gaming. It's entertainment and, like a lot of other entertainment activities, it's based on a dopamine reward in the brain which provides the motivation and the satisfying payoff. And the addiction.

#10 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

Armchair Developer

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1861 posts
  • Xbox Live:ChieftaiNZ

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

That south park episode was too true. The Microtransactions are taking over and going to kill us!

I don't think any game I've played in the past couple months have NOT had some sort of microtransactions, its at the point where they've migrated into the game so much I don't even notice them (or its me just getting use to them being the norm "which is bad!")

From what I've purchased lately, the one that would stand out most would be NBA2K Virtual Currency, as this years game it does feel really forced that a purchase is needed to progress through the game. One of my fav games (And a lot of this community members are a fan of) is R6 Siege. although I don't feel the need at all to purchase them as I think  Ubisoft "finally" did something decent and made the Alpha Packs (aka lootboxes) earnable through the game and high increased chances to get a pack by winning games so it also gives your team a reason  to put effort into the game which I like

You cannot buy the Alpha Packs with real money anyway so they aren't even a microtransaction.

#11 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• Members
  • 3550 posts
  • PSN:Dvst8u

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:08 PM

Iddqd

#12 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

You pay for IDDQD now, and you get a flourish for your character to let people know you’re ‘God mode wallet’.

#13 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5310 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

There should really be some better software filter for these bots.

#14 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

Armchair Developer

• Members
  • 1861 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

I think I'm going to steal its motto and meme these bots.

#15 Syn-Ryn

Syn-Ryn

Scrublord

• 8287 posts
  • Steam ID:steamcommunity.com/id/MADSUPERVILLAIN
  • Xbox Live:Blale

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

I'm trying my best.

#16 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5310 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

I'm trying my best.
Your best is appreciated, thanks.
But if we could replace your best with anti-bot bots, we would. Nothing personal.

#17 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

Armchair Developer

• Members
  • 1861 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:43 PM

I'm going to hold a grudge against Paraguay for all time now.

#18 RKO_NZ

RKO_NZ

www.obsrv.org

• Members
  • 1385 posts
  • Steam ID:Fnpwnage
  • PSN:NiueanNemesis
  • Xbox Live:TERMINATOR NZL

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

@Chieftainz

You'll be able to purchase them in the future with R6 credits, i probably should of clarified that, but that option will probably be with the next major update

#19 Deanology

Deanology
  • PSN:Yes

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:24 PM

Operation health was a load of bs.

#20 Allwisetonme

Allwisetonme
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:24 PM

Microtransactions aren't going away any time soon though unfortunately. They've figured out that gambling in gaming is so successful that they're just branching revenue off of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users