Photo

Please don't buy Shadow of War

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 cortez72

cortez72
  • PSN:cortez72

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

3) The latest announcement is that a tribute package DLC to the late exec producer Michael Forgey, who died last year of cancer, will be sold. An in game character resembling the man with 1/3rd of the proceeds going to his family. However, fine print reads- those donations will only occur for select states in the US, no other country outside of the US or in non-participating states will be donating to the family.

Because laws regarding this type of practice are wildly different in different countries, so its mushc easier to just do it in one country than not at all.

But on the rest of it, they can f*** off, lmao why the f*** would anyone buy a single player game WITH MICROTRANSACTIONS.

The trouble is that DLC is being sold internationally. Leveraging off the sympathy card, without making the intentions regarding payment clear.

#22 souljah685

souljah685
  • PSN:souljah685

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

Wow I didn't realise this game was going to be like that

#23 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

Wow I didn't realise this game was going to be like that

Sadly most people will never realise, maybe not even as they play. It's just an insult to the game consumer, a AAA mobile game.

#24 ironfist92

ironfist92
  • PSN:ironfist92

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

Ive preordered maybe 2 games in the past 6 years, Shadow of War will not be one of them.

I'll wait for the inevitable GOTY edition like all other games.

#25 darklordfoamy

darklordfoamy
  • Steam ID:dark lord foamy
  • PSN:radfoamy
  • Xbox Live:darklordfoamy

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

So update on the whole Forthog Orc-Slayer thing https://community.wb...5/thread-id/663

So short of it is. DLC is now free, anyone pre-ordered the DLC gets refunded, WB will be donating to Michael Forgey's family.

Part of me is glad they have gone this route... but the cynical part of me knows they should have gone this route with it from day 1, this should have been done weeks ago when the first complaints were brought up and now feels more like damage control more then anything.

I dunno still unsure about this but at least now I am considering getting it when it is on sale but still going to see how the loot box system works before doing anything.

#26 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:30 PM

So update on the whole Forthog Orc-Slayer thing https://community.wb...5/thread-id/663

So short of it is. DLC is now free, anyone pre-ordered the DLC gets refunded, WB will be donating to Michael Forgey's family.

Part of me is glad they have gone this route... but the cynical part of me knows they should have gone this route with it from day 1, this should have been done weeks ago when the first complaints were brought up and now feels more like damage control more then anything.

I dunno still unsure about this but at least now I am considering getting it when it is on sale but still going to see how the loot box system works before doing anything.

I think you're making a good choice to wait on how the loot box thing plays out. They've done an about turn on the Forthog Orc-Slayer saga, no doubt as a result of refunded pre-orders forcing their hand, damage control is spot on. They certainly waited until the 11th hour to try and pull it out of the fire.

All we can hope is that WB learn from this experience. But they won't. Gamers may yet be burnt, we won't know until a week after launch when/if there's an outcry.

#27 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

Armchair Developer

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1861 posts
  • Xbox Live:ChieftaiNZ

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

I think you're making a good choice to wait on how the loot box thing plays out. They've done an about turn on the Forthog Orc-Slayer saga, no doubt as a result of refunded pre-orders forcing their hand, damage control is spot on. They certainly waited until the 11th hour to try and pull it out of the fire.

All we can hope is that WB learn from this experience. But they won't. Gamers may yet be burnt, we won't know until a week after launch when/if there's an outcry.

Company and developers try to do something nice for the family of passed away ex worker. They abide by the laws we doing so, people b*tch about them being terrible people for abiding by the law. After multiple steps it's gone from selling a dlc to support the family and remember the man to a giant shitshow argument with this being the most recent form. Poor people just want to remember a friend and help his family in a tough time and they can't catch a break for following the f***ing law. The fact that they decided to not sell it and do a one off donation proves this, that maybe for once it was for a good purpose and not them being greedy.

charity laws in certain states/countries have it so that you can't promote a product with the intention of charity. So WarnerBros was not allowed to mention those states/countries purchases being donated. By trying to be good people and not break the law the gaming community had a hissy fit and called them thiefs and scammers.

Good work guys!

Edited by ChieftaiNZ, 27 September 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#28 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

So update on the whole Forthog Orc-Slayer thing https://community.wb...5/thread-id/663

Company and developers try to do something nice for the family of passed away ex worker. They abide by the laws we doing so, people b*tch about them being terrible people for abiding by the law. After multiple steps it's gone from selling a dlc to support the family and remember the man to a giant shitshow argument with this being the most recent form. Poor people just want to remember a friend and help his family in a tough time and they can't catch a break for following the f***ing law. The fact that they decided to not sell it and do a one off donation proves this, that maybe for once it was for a good purpose and not them being greedy.

charity laws in certain states/countries have it so that you can't promote a product with the intention of charity. So WarnerBros was not allowed to mention those states/countries purchases being donated. By trying to be good people and not break the law the gaming community had a hissy fit and called them thiefs and scammers.

Good work guys!

You might want to research what started this so you don't look like a jackass.

#29 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

Armchair Developer

• Members
  • 1861 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:02 PM

So update on the whole Forthog Orc-Slayer thing https://community.wb...5/thread-id/663

Good work guys!

You might want to research what started this so you don't look like a jackass.

Yep. I know exactly what started it. DLC was created in remembrance of a dev who works on the game,which everyone knew was for Charity and his family, but only in states/countries (in small print on Trailer which was still readable) where they could legally do it. In this case it was only states in America. As I stated earlier, charity laws for countries are wildly different, and in most you cannot market a product with the intention of charity, so they COULD NOT put that in the trailer without breaking the law. No, they can't do the "All sales will go to charity" route because that is still promoting a product for charity, which still wouldn't cover everything.

And then onto the fact that only a portion of sales went to the Family.  MS/SONY/VALVE all take large cuts from digital sales so its pretty likely that the leftover was most of it if not all of the sales. 

Maybe not all people are greedy f***s all the time, trying to profiteer off of a close friend dying, and were genuinely just trying to help the man's family who had worked hard on the game in the best way they could think, by immortalizing him in the game and giving the proceeds to the family. Instead people got angry and started accusing them trying to scam them. Imagine all the emails and board meetings that were had to discuss how they would do this, all because they wanted to help a dead friends family.

I'm not buying the game because of the actual greed in the micro transactions and loot boxes, but why can't people just accept that maybe they are capable of good things once in a while? And just to clarify that first paragraph in my previous post is from reddit as I feel its the best way to sum up this whole debacle.

Edited by ChieftaiNZ, 27 September 2017 - 06:09 PM.

#30 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 8336 posts
  • Steam ID:ZombieRawkMachine
  • PSN:ZombieRwkMachine
  • Xbox Live:DrSinIsIn

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:40 PM

Just gonna leave this here.

#31 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

Oh you actually think that a trailer saying your purchase of this DLC goes to the family, with a tiny disclaimer (Not most of the world, just abit of amercia) is done in good faith? They actually think that most people are going to notice that tiny print for a HUGE detail? Even the main media outlets didnt notice when they passed along the info. 

If they had been more clear about it, nobody would have thought them greedy sob's. This ontop of the lootbox stuff, you really think people are wrong for calling it as they see it?

#32 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

Armchair Developer

• Members
  • 1861 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

Oh you actually think that a trailer saying your purchase of this DLC goes to the family, with a tiny disclaimer (Not most of the world, just abit of amercia) is done in good faith? They actually think that most people are going to notice that tiny print for a HUGE detail? Even the main media outlets didnt notice when they passed along the info. 

If they had been more clear about it, nobody would have thought them greedy sob's. This ontop of the lootbox stuff, you really think people are wrong for calling it as they see it?

No, I don't think its wrong for them to call it how they see it. I think its wrong for them to jump onto a bandwagon based on a knee jerk reaction. It's not like the information was totally hidden and impossible to read. It was quite readable. It could've been bigger and done better, I admit, sure, but even when it was made clear and people were told that it was going to be done like that people still continued to freak out, saying why they can't come out and just say that they will match sales themselves (Again, in a lot of regions you cannot do this because it is promoting the product for charity.) 

We can argue back and forth about this for hours, whether WB are greedy (They probably are, those Microtransactions and loot boxes in a single player story game certainly say so) but I do not believe their intent with this was ever malicious or that they ever intended to steal the money for themselves, because at the end of the day, it was a coworker and friend they knew and worked with who died, and left behind a wife and a family they would've known, It's one thing to be greedy with microtransactions, its another to steal from your dead friends/coworkers family.

Edited by ChieftaiNZ, 27 September 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#33 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

Fair enough, I believ the Developers added him in for good reasons, I just dont think WB had good intentions with the profiting off of it. Or they would have done it for more countries outside of america. 

Edit Also, according to polygon they could have donated in the remaining states, they would just need to register first. 

https://www.polygon....the-money-going

Edited by AdamC, 27 September 2017 - 09:24 PM.

#34 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10905 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

Fair enough, I believ the Developers added him in for good reasons, I just dont think WB had good intentions with the profiting off of it. Or they would have done it for more countries outside of america.

Or would have made it super clear in a legal way that all profits were going to charity.

There is no way full disclosure is illegal. Itbpribablyis to say buy our game for charity but there has been a lot of time passed to clear it up without "advertising".

I doubt anyone blames the devs. Just the publisher in the same way people blame the publisher for the microtransactions etc.

I mean Chieftail, if it was unacceptable for gamers to be cynical how do you know the microtransactions you're not buying the game because of aren't also going to charity and they just aren't advertising it.

The reality is the game is being pulled up for it's use of microtransactions and that with limited info about the other micro DLC made people cynical.

The reality is people had a right to be cynical about WB and staying specific territories implies others aren't following suit.

E.g if I win a million bucks and advertised I'm giving 20 bucks to canteen, people would have a right to be cynical.

I might be giving all million to charity but by only stating 20 there is implication the rest isn't.

#35 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:30 AM

Just gonna leave this here.

Lol even the dev doesn't want to buy micro transactions in the game.

#36 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

No, I don't think its wrong for them to call it how they see it. I think its wrong for them to jump onto a bandwagon based on a knee jerk reaction. It's not like the information was totally hidden and impossible to read. It was quite readable. It could've been bigger and done better, I admit, sure, but even when it was made clear and people were told that it was going to be done like that people still continued to freak out, saying why they can't come out and just say that they will match sales themselves (Again, in a lot of regions you cannot do this because it is promoting the product for charity.) 

We can argue back and forth about this for hours, whether WB are greedy (They probably are, those Microtransactions and loot boxes in a single player story game certainly say so) but I do not believe their intent with this was ever malicious or that they ever intended to steal the money for themselves, because at the end of the day, it was a coworker and friend they knew and worked with who died, and left behind a wife and a family they would've known, It's one thing to be greedy with microtransactions, its another to steal from your dead friends/coworkers family.

I'm probably repeating a bit of what has been said by Adam and Monk. I'm pleased you are against the microtransactions, and I agree with you completely that the developers had good intentions when they proposed the tribute package. But as Monk said, these guys created a toxic environment around their own game with their other proposed money mechanics. The fault lies with the producers, and the guys in the suits. If those same suits were profiteering off the death of a colleague, then I think the bigger discussion was when did greed step aside and humanity take a massive hit. Not even WB are that heartless. Greedy maybe, but not without a soul all together.

#37 jtbthatsme

jtbthatsme
  • Steam ID:jtbthatsme
  • Xbox Live:HOLY GUACAM0LE

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

Well until these posts I didn't really know anything about any of these things... I am buying this game based on my experience with the first and that the trailers I've seen for this look great. I don't care about microtransaction lootboxes in any game... Why because you don't have to buy them. It really is that simple.

I do have to say I'm not a fan of companies charging full price for a incomplete product just so they can sell dlc (evolve & destiny 1) as that's just bad practice. However as often shown (not that it should take it) the public has a voice & when they use it devs (good devs) will try to fix / resolve things as best they can.

#38 ZombieRawkMachine

ZombieRawkMachine

Minister of Sinister

• Members
  • 8336 posts
  • Steam ID:ZombieRawkMachine
  • PSN:ZombieRwkMachine
  • Xbox Live:DrSinIsIn

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Reviews for it have been pretty/very good for it. Will be interesting to see how many units get sold.

#39 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:39 AM

I get that you don’t have to buy the loot boxes, but you know that they design the game so that it’s a grind so bad you want to buy loot boxes. Look at nba 2k18. Don’t “have” to buy those either.
Charging for cheat codes is scum imo.

#40 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

Reviews for it have been pretty/very good for it. Will be interesting to see how many units get sold.

I'm sure the game is good, they had a solid first entry that took gamers by surprise. Will definitely be interesting to see the impact that their negative monetary campaign has on this thing. I hope we see gamers turned off by the process. If the title succeeds above and beyond expectation then the industry will all be in board meetings by the end of the month coming up with ways pinch the consumer who doesn't know how to close their wallet.

Pretty soon we'll be paying real money to have a gun to start with in FPS. "Here's the sandbox for free but those guns cost, it's free to punch of course, we wouldn't want players not to be able to play at all."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users