Photo

Please don't buy Shadow of War

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 cortez72

cortez72
  • PSN:cortez72

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:39 AM

This business with Warner Brothers Shadow of War is very aggravating. The first title was a hit, and I'm sure many of you are reading this because the sequel is on your radar.

If you're not aware of the current issues taken with this title I will outline them as follows:
1) A single player full priced game with micro transactions. To gain a competitive edge on the computer AI (read: grind skipping), you can buy War chests.
2) The DLC coming has been already outlined with trailers and screens well before the games release, indicating the material has been skimmed to sell back to us.
3) The latest announcement is that a tribute package DLC to the late exec producer Michael Forgey, who died last year of cancer, will be sold. An in game character resembling the man with 1/3rd of the proceeds going to his family. However, fine print reads- those donations will only occur for select states in the US, no other country outside of the US or in non-participating states will be donating to the family.

I'm an advocate against many modern practices used in the gaming industry. Buying a game has become akin to buying a sports car, many options are available to those willing to pay more, and constant monetary payments are often required to enjoy the game late into its shelf life.

While my person feelings around these practices are strong I hope you agree that WB are taking things too far with their greed.

Please vote with your wallets. If we just accept this, the next game, and the next, will ask is to pay more and more often for content we have grown acustom to in titles of the past.

Please read up on these issues yourself, many outlets including NZGamer have publicised this. I apologise for the wall of text. This is something I think as a life long gamer, is going to turn a discouraging modern trend in games into industry standard. Thanks.

Edited by cortez72, 09 September 2017 - 05:42 AM.

#2 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

Great post. I was planning to buy till the micro transactions. The cancer dlc crap is just disgusting. Total biscuit did a great video on it too. Had some good ways to fix the dlc issue.

Could a mod move this to general so it gets more attention from the other systems? Start a revolution!

#3 darklordfoamy

darklordfoamy
  • Steam ID:dark lord foamy
  • PSN:radfoamy
  • Xbox Live:darklordfoamy

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

The loot boxes were what got me on the wait till it drops in a sale but after the whole cancer thing... yeah no your not getting sh*t from me. It really annoys me as Warner Brothers does sh*t like this quite often which is a shame because they do publish some great games like the Shadow of War series. But then they do sh*t like this and I just lose all interest.

#4 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3550 posts
  • PSN:Dvst8u

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

cant believe this is the way they chose to go. do they have board meetings that decide stupid decisions? f***en amazing

#5 that_black_guy

that_black_guy
  • PSN:that_black_guy

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

I was never planning on getting it day one. But I was going to get it. I'm not so sure I'll get it now though, since they announced the microtransactions

#6 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10891 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

Yup cancelled my preorder.

I liked Shadow of War but not encouraging this.

#7 cortez72

cortez72
  • PSN:cortez72

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

It's heartening to see others feel the same way. It just seems like more and more titles are finding ways to leverage from their audience. At some stage our community of gamers has to say 'enough is enough', put our desire to play a title aside and close our wallets.

Now if the cost to develop games are becoming too great for studios to cover, then they simply need to charge more up front. However, I don't believe this is the case with this title. They are just being greedy, preying on the audience that made their original title so successful.

#8 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

I know people like to say "The price hasnt changed since snes days, and cost of development has gone up" but they also sell WAY more games too. 

Warner bros seem to want to challenge EA atm for $%#@tiest company.... 

#9 siamese

siamese

siamesedreams

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 1687 posts
  • PSN:siamesedreams

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

Really liked the first game, but the micro transaction stuff put me off day one on this.  Now the only way I'll be picking it up is in a game of the year edition or something like that where all DLC is included for a normal retail price.

#10 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10891 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

I know people like to say "The price hasnt changed since snes days, and cost of development has gone up" but they also sell WAY more games too.
Warner bros seem to want to challenge EA atm for $%#@tiest company....

But do they sell enough games? Selling more at significantly reduced profit margin may not equal making e Pugh money to justify making more.

The reality is cost of games haven't gone up, and they probably should have several times by now. So microtransactions, DLC, etc are a thing of the future because people get shirty enough paying full price now.

But single player shortcuts? I don't trust them to not put in a pointless grind, and the good guy DLC that is only giving to charity from some states, dodge.

#11 Bunnny

Bunnny

Member Since 23 Nov 2006

• Tester
  • 6144 posts
  • Steam ID:BuNNNy_
  • PSN:BuNNNy_
  • Xbox Live:BuNNNy

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

Loved the first one.
Still haven't finished it.

Based on that alone I was happy to wait for some sale GOTY in the future.

But blerg..

Thats pretty shitty.

+1 for the shift to general.

#12 Twilight_Aurora

Twilight_Aurora
  • PSN:Twilight_Aurora

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:10 AM

The more I hear about this game, the less inclined I am to pick it up come launch day. 

It's a pretty dodgy practice, having all the DLC lined up and trailers shown well before the game comes out  <_<

#13 sakuraba

sakuraba

I know what you did last summer

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1599 posts
  • PSN:subtime
  • Xbox Live:subtime

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

Awesome post maybe we wait for a goty edition

#14 Deanology

Deanology
  • PSN:Yes

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

B*stards.

Didn't realise there was so much planned dlc.

Oh well, looks like I'll grab it cheap second hand, in a few years.

#15 Blackfox

Blackfox
  • PSN:Black-fox-nz

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

What really urks me is the amount of work and craft thats going into this game, it looks fantastic, yet marketing and higher ups are just tearing it to shreds.

#16 Unfathomable-Ruination

Unfathomable-Ruination

Trophy Hunter Extraordinaire

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1204 posts
  • PSN:SecondGenesis
  • Xbox Live:GoreFlame

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

Will wait for reviews as always, but yeah, the microtransactions really put me off.

#17 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5310 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:05 AM

B*stards.

But you can't buy the microtransactions second hand (read: your gameplay progression will be gimped) and you won't get any of the day 1 / collextors edition dlc codes.
At least in 2 years they might have finished all the bug patches though right :)

#18 Deanology

Deanology
  • PSN:Yes

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

B*stards.

But you can't buy the microtransactions second hand (read: your gameplay progression will be gimped) and you won't get any of the day 1 / collextors edition dlc codes.
At least in 2 years they might have finished all the bug patches though right :)

Owwwww Noooooo..

Maybe the GotY ver. in a few years time..

#19 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

Armchair Developer

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1861 posts
  • Xbox Live:ChieftaiNZ

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

3) The latest announcement is that a tribute package DLC to the late exec producer Michael Forgey, who died last year of cancer, will be sold. An in game character resembling the man with 1/3rd of the proceeds going to his family. However, fine print reads- those donations will only occur for select states in the US, no other country outside of the US or in non-participating states will be donating to the family.

Because laws regarding this type of practice are wildly different in different countries, so its mushc easier to just do it in one country than not at all.

But on the rest of it, they can f*** off, lmao why the f*** would anyone buy a single player game WITH MICROTRANSACTIONS.

Edited by ChieftaiNZ, 20 September 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#20 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Because laws regarding this type of practice are wildly different in different countries, so its mushc easier to just do it in one country than not at all.

But on the rest of it, they can f*** off, lmao why the f*** would anyone buy a single player game WITH MICROTRANSACTIONS.

They could always do the "we will match all sales with a donation" route to get around that though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users