Photo

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NZGamer

NZGamer

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

11409-standout.jpg

Destiny 2 launched this week. While most of those playing it were busy grinding for loot, some fans did notice a change to one of the first game’s biggest elements. Shaders – items which apply colours and patterns on gear – are now consumable, and must be applied to each piece of equipment individually. Previously, once you had gained a shader you could apply it to your entire outfit whenever you wanted.

On the outset this seems like a small change, but as it turns out, players can buy – with real-world money – loot-boxes that contain shaders. Destiny 2 director Luke Smith took to Twitter to assure fans that they could earn those shaders freely in the end-game, and that they’d be an “ongoing reward for playing.”

Quite often people say they’re fine with microtransactions if they don’t factor into gameplay. While shaders don’t have a mechanical implication, it’s a unique case for Destiny; expressing yourself with your equipment is a huge factor in the game’s design.

Do you think this is acceptable?

Let us know in the comments below, or over at NZGamer.com!

#2 Unfathomable-Ruination

Unfathomable-Ruination

Trophy Hunter Extraordinaire

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 924 posts
  • PSN:SecondGenesis
  • Xbox Live:GoreFlame

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

Microtransactions have no place in full price games, especially AAA games, in my opinion.

#3 Outlaw213

Outlaw213

Ghost of Sparta

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1139 posts
  • Steam ID:Outlaw213
  • PSN:Outlaw213

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

If a game is full retail price and also has season pass / paid dlc then there should be no micro-transactions.

A perfect example of a game that gets it all wrong, Call of Duty... You pay the full price for the game and you have really bad micro-transactions (supply drops) and on top of that there is season pass.

Just do one or the other, free to play with micro-transactions or full price game with no micro-transactions - stop trying to monetise everything!

Edited by Outlaw213, 08 September 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#4 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• Members
  • 1908 posts
  • Steam ID:iludez
  • PSN:iludez
  • Xbox Live:iludez

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

Greedy developers, it will creep into 95% of games soon. If they keep getting away with it

#5 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

I kill alyens and don't afrayd of anythink

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1797 posts
  • Xbox Live:ChieftaiNZ

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

Does Activision publish any games where they aren't scumbags and try and squeeze the consumer for every cent they have?

Edited by ChieftaiNZ, 08 September 2017 - 09:56 PM.

#6 Unfathomable-Ruination

Unfathomable-Ruination

Trophy Hunter Extraordinaire

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 924 posts
  • PSN:SecondGenesis
  • Xbox Live:GoreFlame

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

Does Activision publish any games where they aren't scumbags and try and squeeze the consumer for every cent they have?

Nah, not these days.

#7 iLythium

iLythium

Rageaholic!

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • PSN:iLythium
  • Xbox Live:iLythium

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

I used to change my shaders regularly. Had a few I would rotate through, this new mechanic is slightly annoying because I won't be able to do that. As long as I have a reasonable supply of them from just playing though I won't mind too much. Still a little bit gross though. It's almost like game developers are in the business of making money and don't really care about us.  :whistle:

#8 that_black_guy

that_black_guy
  • PSN:that_black_guy

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

I'd say its more the publisher at fault rather than the devs.

It's total bs... but you know they're only doing it because a small minority will fork out way too much for it

#9 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

It's total bs... but you know they're only doing it because a small minority will fork out way too much for it

I see this alot, people saying "It must be the publisher" but I have never seen a Dev saying they dont want to try make all the money too. And in cases where the Publishers own the Dev's, then its one in the same. The Publisher is also developing it. 

Like the whole "Its not Rockstar, its Take Two" 

If that were the case, I bet rockstar could have turned around and said No. Its both as far as I'm concerned. 

#10 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

I kill alyens and don't afrayd of anythink

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1797 posts
  • Xbox Live:ChieftaiNZ

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

I see this alot, people saying "It must be the publisher" but I have never seen a Dev saying they dont want to try make all the money too. And in cases where the Publishers own the Dev's, then its one in the same. The Publisher is also developing it. 

If that were the case, I bet rockstar could have turned around and said No. Its both as far as I'm concerned. 

Up until Bungie partnered with Activision they never had any micro transactions in their games.

Every game Activision currently publishes has absurd amounts of microtransactions (Destiny, CoD, etc)

It very much seems like a case of "you want to have us publish your games? Chuck in these microtransactions"

#11 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:00 PM

Up until Bungie partnered with Activision they never had any micro transactions in their games.

Every game Activision currently publishes has absurd amounts of microtransactions (Destiny, CoD, etc)

It very much seems like a case of "you want to have us publish your games? Chuck in these microtransactions"
They could have chosen different publishers though. Or maybe it was just that Microsoft didn't want micro transactions in halo.

#12 predatorhunter

predatorhunter

Obsessed with Gears of War

• Members
  • 4435 posts
  • Xbox Live:themainman21

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

pretty much no publisher doesn't include micro-transactions these days its stupid, miss the old school unlock with set parameters not RNG.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Destiny, Destiny 2, The Weekend Chat, have your say, community, Bungie, Activision, Microtransactions, loot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users