Photo

The Weekend Chat: Fan Remakes

The Weekend Chat weekend chat community have your say fan remakes fanbase Metroid Just Cause Tomb Raider

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NZGamer

NZGamer

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

11398-standout.jpg

Publishers traditionally haven’t been fine with fans meddling in their IPs. While some projects that build on a foundation are tacitly acknowledge (or in the case of Just Cause 3’s multiplayer mod, openly endorsed), things like full-blown remakes are often met with swift legal action.

Currently, fans are attempting to remake Tomb Raider II in Unreal Engine 4, bringing 1997’s Lara Croft into the modern age. This week, we’re keeping it simple.

If fans were completely free from legal repercussions, what games would you like to see them remake?

Removed from bottom lines and other publisher influence, do you think fan projects give a clearer distillation of what a game means to those that love it?

Let us know in the comments below, or over at NZGamer.com!

#2 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10980 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

Posted on wrong article on the front page so I'll cram it here:

I love fan made projects but it's so risky. The pokemon Uranium one was especially great.

But the devs have to be aware of the risk, though the companies do get a chance to win some goodwill allowing them.

I'd love a fan made 3D render of pokemon red and or blue.

Edited by drunk_monk, 01 September 2017 - 06:10 PM.

#3 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5982 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

RE (The original) there is vid of this being re-made in Unreal 4 engine? (might have been 3?)

Theme Hospital

Syndicate Wars

Midnight Resistance

What companies should do is instead of just shutting down fan re-makes (especially if good & showing potential with a following) is to pay the fans for their time/efforts in someway & release the dam thing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Weekend Chat, weekend chat, community, have your say, fan remakes, fanbase, Metroid, Just Cause, Tomb Raider

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users