wiiu noob

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kiwijoey

kiwijoey
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

OK, I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I'm getting frustrated with the Wii U and Mario Kart 8.  I thought I'd finally get one for my 6yr old and have some fun with Mario Kart 8, but can't figure out the Nintendo quagmire.

A bit of history, I bought a pre-owned Wii U Premium from EB Games, and the assistant said that it didn't come with any games, so I purchased Mario Kart 8.  I got it running at home, and found Mario Kart 8 preinstalled, so proceeded to start playing.  However, there are a few "Cups" (each with 4 tracks) to start off, but there's also tracks you need to buy.  I thought it might be the pre-installed version, so loaded up the disc version I purchased.  Same thing...

Rant: Considering the price of the game, I thought it would have everything unlocked, but sadly no.  I know many games nowadays have add-on packs, but PS4/Xbox games are half the price with add-ons on top, whereas Mario Kart is expensive, plus it needs add-ons. ***grumble***

Which comes to my question...is it possible to purchase add-ons on the PC so I can download to the Wii U (like PlayStation Store)?  I saw a comment on the web from two years ago that it was only available in North America, but surely we must be able to do it in AU/NZ now?

Much appreciated in advance....

#2 manukajoe

manukajoe
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:17 PM

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Yeah it's complicated. There are two factors here.

First is that Nintendo games tend to be more expensive than PS/Xbox game, and hold their value more. PC games are cheaper still. I think this is because the supply of Nintendo games is less here, and they very rarely are sold at deep discount. So Wii U (and Switch) games tend to be relatively expensive.

The second thing is DLC (downloadable content, i.e. optional add-ons). DLC is standard for most games/systems nowadays, and often gets bundled with games in "Game of the Year" editions which come out about a year later (I don't Nintendo has done this yet). But DLC can be expensive to buy it new/separately, and obviously there's no second hand market. Nintendo perhaps hasn't yet learned that gamers don't like games to nag them to buy DLC, in most games its existence is fairly hidden. Maybe MK8 tends to put it in your face, which would be annoying.

As far as I know the only way to purchase the DLC is through the eshop online on the Wii U, you can't do it on your computer like the PS Store. But it's totally optional, you don't need it to play the game.

The MK8 DLC tracks is great stuff and well worth the small price tag. It's been a great game in our house, it's our go to game for when friends come over. We usually play with the Wii wheel (although it's expensive to buy 4 Wiimotes to play it). Your 6 year old might find it easier to play with a Wii wheel though.

PS I would take the physical copy of MK8 back to the store and get a refund. 

Edited by manukajoe, 26 August 2017 - 11:24 PM.

#3 siamese

siamese

siamesedreams

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 1689 posts
  • PSN:siamesedreams

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:07 PM

From memory if you beat the cups you will open up another 4 tracks to play (for each cup) effectively doubling the track count.  There are some DLC ones and I would recommend buying them as they are very good.  I remember getting them really cheap but it was in a sale before the second lot of DLC was released.

#4 kiwijoey

kiwijoey
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

thanks manukajoe & siamesedreams, I thought I'd missed something but it sounds like that's the current state of play with Nintendo (sounds like the Switch is pretty much the same). I agree, manukajoe, MK8 is a great game, and will be the main game that we will be using the Wii U for.  We have some other games that we will bring across from the Wii, but think I'll be sticking to PS4 as my main gaming platform!

thanks for the feedback!

#5 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

I have Mario Kart without the DLC and it still feels like a complete game. You dont need to pay extra. 

#6 czk51

czk51
  • PSN:cheradenineZ

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

Out of interest, how much was the Wii u? Switch might have been a better option as MK8 comes with the DLC straight away.

That said I still want a wii u, killer backlog out there including xenoblade and Smash.

#7 manukajoe

manukajoe
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

For Wii U, my favourite games were

Lego City Undercover - best Lego game ever! (but no co-op)

Zelda: Wind Waker

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I also love Zelda; Twilight Princess, but it's kinda showing its age.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wiiu, noob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users