Photo

The Weekend Chat: The Future of Esports

The Weekend Chat weekend chat community esports have your say dota league of legends counter-strike Street Fighter Olympics

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NZGamer

NZGamer

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

11364-standout.jpg

Earlier this week, news came forward that esports were being considered for the 2024 Paris Olympics. If true, this would be the first time that the still nascent digital scene would appear alongside longstanding medal-events.

While the issue of esports’ legitimacy alongside other, more traditional sports is something that’s been contested since the days of competitive Quake, it does raise some interesting questions.

Are the Olympics an acceptable venue for esports?

Should they have their own venue? Is the issue muddied by the fact that these games are essentially products?

Have your say over at NZGamer.com, or in the comments below!

#2 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10794 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

I don't get why they have to try to make themselves sports and what not.

It's it's own juggernaut that is immensely popular. I get it being on "sports" channels bit olympics seem like an athletic event. Not that I care about the Olympics so pfgt.

#3 djkicks

djkicks

Misa <3

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Tester
  • 11122 posts
  • Steam ID:ProfessorKicks
  • Xbox Live:Chalcopyrite

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

I dont think it should be in the olympics. Its not a spot. Wont be surprised if it did end up in the olympics though. There will be money to be made.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Weekend Chat, weekend chat, community, esports, have your say, dota, league of legends, counter-strike, Street Fighter, Olympics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users