EU PSN dilemma, help a brother out

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 cortez72

cortez72
  • PSN:cortez72

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for having a read.

I was the lucky winner of a competition for Marvel Heroes Omega run by a top man, youtube MHO expert TonyBingGaming. The prize was all the available "Founders packs" for the game- the total cost in NZD $320

Sadly I wasn't aware that EU codes are region locked, because we are EU/Aus/NZ games, I figured the PSN stuff was the same. Not so I have learned, as the PSN vouchers are region locked. Obviously an awesome prize, not money I would be prepared to spend on the game myself.

I don't win much of anything, and this made my day yesterday, only to be massively deflated today. So I'm trying to figure out if there is anyway I can redeem the codes, before I tell Tony he can redraw them.

I know I can set up an EU account. However, as these aren't DLC, they won't be stored on my machine (or will they?), they are in game unlocks. Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? I'm reluctant to experiment with the codes given the value of them, wouldn't want to waste Tony's money.

#2 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10554 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

Wait is it PSN vouchers Or internal game unlocks? Because of they're internal then PSN will have nothing to do with it so you'll need to find out from the games side of things.

If they are PSN vouchers then they are DLC.

BUT I thought EU PSN codes work on NZ. Top ups like 5 buck vouchers won't but I'm pretty sure content codes worked.

Have you tried it?

If it doesn't work why not make an EU account and of you have to at it on that account, play it on that account?

#3 whatsupmyninja

whatsupmyninja
  • PSN:SizeNZ

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

Looks like the founders packs can only be used by the account you redeem them on - so you'd need to create an EU account and play the game on that account:

https://forums.marve...b-account-users

Edited by whatsupmyninja, 03 August 2017 - 11:30 AM.

#4 iLythium

iLythium

Rageaholic!

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • PSN:iLythium
  • Xbox Live:iLythium

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

BUT I thought EU PSN codes work on NZ. Top ups like 5 buck vouchers won't but I'm pretty sure content codes worked.

Most of them do, but codes can be content restricted to country. So on the back end the codes will be flagged as UK only or UK and some other European countries but not NZ or AU. It just depends on how the codes were set up.

The guys at the Playstation Support Centre would be able to look up the code in their system to see exactly what countries its open to.

#5 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for your responses guys.

The codes were the old 12 digit PSN codes. It was when I tried them that the error WC-40376-0 popped: This code is not redeemable in your region/country. Good find whatupmyninja, that link cleared up the Marvel Heroes end up for me.

The game is all RNG, and I've been playing levelling characters for the last month, with some great lucky RNG drops. That, and I've spent a little money on the game already. So I will have to have a serious think about whether I want to start all over again. In a bid to not get hooked on another superhero MMO (I was a DC Universe Online addict), I chose to chase the Platinum, and when it popped put the game to bed. But that was a great prize.

Now my dilemma is to start again or not start again.

Very stupid that we are region locked from a region we share physical games with. After asking around my friends I've discovered people have pre-ordered games from EU and been excluded from the pre-order bonus because of region locking. Seems that while *some* codes work, others do not.

Thank you both.

Edit: Thanks also iLythium. I might contact support and appeal to them, see if they can cancel these and re-issue them. Unlikely, but it's my only hope.

Edited by cortez72, 03 August 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#6 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10554 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

Damn that sucks, never had an EU code not work for me.

The region locking will be determined by the game manufacturer at a reasonable guess, which sucks.  It's likely to stop people buying it cheaper elsewhere and selling en masse, it sucks but it is what it is.  We are just at the wrong ass hole of the world.

I doubt PS support will be able to help but you could super politely appeal to the game devs via PM on twitter or something.

#7 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

The region locking will be determined by the game manufacturer at a reasonable guess, which sucks.  It's likely to stop people buying it cheaper elsewhere and selling en masse, it sucks but it is what it is.  We are just at the wrong ass hole of the world.

I doubt PS support will be able to help but you could super politely appeal to the game devs via PM on twitter or something.

The link whatsupmyninja put up before actually concludes with Sony being the responsible party for the account practice, rather than Gazillion who made MHO.

Because the game is is free-to-play, I don't think Gazillion would budge, these DLC are their only revenue. If they learn I'm really into the game but have been given tonnes of credits and characters for free, I'd expect they will say their 'hands are tied' in the hopes that I will buy some of the content again. But I might submit a ticket with them as a last ditch effort before I give up all together. They won't have access to the PSN code verification either, so they won't be able to check the legitimacy of the codes. But it's still worth a shot, thanks man.

#8 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10554 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

The link whatsupmyninja put up before actually concludes with Sony being the responsible party for the account practice, rather than Gazillion who made MHO.

Because the game is is free-to-play, I don't think Gazillion would budge, these DLC are their only revenue. If they learn I'm really into the game but have been given tonnes of credits and characters for free, I'd expect they will say their 'hands are tied' in the hopes that I will buy some of the content again. But I might submit a ticket with them as a last ditch effort before I give up all together. They won't have access to the PSN code verification either, so they won't be able to check the legitimacy of the codes. But it's still worth a shot, thanks man.

The last post in the link actually explains the issue with game sharing.  i.e. downloading DLC on one account, not being able to share with other users.

A code being region locked (bought in the UK, and not working in NZ) is a different issue to what I described above.  If that is a Sony issue it is VERY likely it would happen to all codes, not random ones.  i.e. if it was Sony's policy that UK codes will not work in NZ, the UK ones I have used wont have worked in NZ.  If that makes sense.

#9 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• Members
  • 3250 posts
  • PSN:Dvst8u

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

i dont have much to add , but good luck cortez i hope it turns into something in your favor.

#10 Unfathomable-Ruination

Unfathomable-Ruination

Trophy Hunter Extraordinaire

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 819 posts
  • PSN:SecondGenesis
  • Xbox Live:GoreFlame

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:31 PM

If it's any consolation, ps+ codes from nzgameshop don't work on nz accounts either, so I imagine dlc codes work the same.

#11 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• Members
  • 3250 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

DL codes work as such. Games I've bought from nzgameshop that come with dlc have always worked for me

#12 Unfathomable-Ruination

Unfathomable-Ruination

Trophy Hunter Extraordinaire

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 819 posts
  • PSN:SecondGenesis
  • Xbox Live:GoreFlame

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

DL codes work as such. Games I've bought from nzgameshop that come with dlc have always worked for me

That's good to know.

#13 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• Members
  • 3250 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:21 PM

Doesn't mean you should listen to me tho 😃

#14 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10554 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:28 PM

PS+ codes like credit top ups don't work so you can't beat Sony's system.

I'm fairly sure I've heard of some DLC codes not working but I've never had an issue, and I've definitely bought a UK digital game with no issue.

I suspect it's like Nintendo's 3DS games. Region locks come down to the publishers, so no guarantees they all would.

#15 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

So after talking to both Sony and Gazillion (the game developer), there is no work around.

I've already invested a lot of time into the game on my account, some money, and I want the Platinum trophy. Setting up an EU account defeats this, so I decided to give the codes back to the video blogger to redraw.

It's a stupid system. That win made my week, the turn around ruined my week. Once I get the Platinum this title is getting deleted, bitter experience.

#16 iLythium

iLythium

Rageaholic!

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • PSN:iLythium
  • Xbox Live:iLythium

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

That sucks cortez. Figured that would be the case. Sometimes the region locking on PSN is really stupid and harsh. Good on you for returning the vouchers so somebody else can benefit from them though. I assume that the founders pack unlocks all the heroes? I've played a bit of the game just using the one free hero they give you enough credit to unlock at the start but it would be cool to have all heroes available.

#17 cortez72

cortez72

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:09 PM

So I gave away:

The founders packs= 6 Avengers ($96), 6 Xmen ($96), 2 Guardians ($58), Spider-Man ($28), Deadpool ($28), additional costumes for each. Further, each pack also grants in game credit to the value 6000G ($80ish) enough for a number of further characters. And a bunch of boosts which are normally brought with real money.

For having all those packs Iron Fist and Symbiote Spidey are unlocked, which can't be attained any other way.

I gave up so much. The game doesn't appeal as much anymore. Knowing I had it but couldn't use it.

I'm bald, it's like winning hundreds in hair products and deciding if it's really worth keeping to use in ones beard.

Edited by cortez72, 05 August 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#18 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• Members
  • 3250 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

top man cortez paying it forward. shame you couldnt benifit in anyway but im sure the karma gods will sort it out.

#19 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10554 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

Yea good stuff giving it back dude.

#20 MadCant

MadCant
  • PSN:MadCant

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

So I gave away:

The founders packs= 6 Avengers ($96), 6 Xmen ($96), 2 Guardians ($58), Spider-Man ($28), Deadpool ($28), additional costumes for each. Further, each pack also grants in game credit to the value 6000G ($80ish) enough for a number of further characters. And a bunch of boosts which are normally brought with real money.

For having all those packs Iron Fist and Symbiote Spidey are unlocked, which can't be attained any other way.

I gave up so much. The game doesn't appeal as much anymore. Knowing I had it but couldn't use it.

I'm bald, it's like winning hundreds in hair products and deciding if it's really worth keeping to use in ones beard.

Pure gold!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users