25 replies to this topic

#1 dudemanphat

dudemanphat
  • Steam ID:dudemanphat
  • PSN:dudemanphat
  • Xbox Live:dudemanphat

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:46 PM

Hey Team

I have been dabbling in making games for a while and have made a few wee projects here and there to use with my Game Audio papers i teach. I am in a time of my life where i have a bit more time to myself and have decided to have a go at creating a game a level or two above what i have currently been doing.

To go along with it i have started a developer blog called 'Joe Makes a Game' on a WordPress site. I have started the blog for a few reasons, to keep track of my process and my progress and to keep myself accountable to what my initial goals are when starting the development process. 

If you would like to check it out, i would love to hear any opinions, criticism, trolling?! anything really. Whether its about the blog or the game in development, i think it would be much more beneficial to hear anyones thoughts as i am building the game rather than getting to the end and finding out i was heading in a direction no one wanted.

The blog link is here: www.joemakesagame.wordpress.com

I look forward to hearing from anyone, or even if you only read this, thanks a lot for your time!

regards

Joe Simmonds

Edited by dudemanphat, 18 July 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#2 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10708 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

So I read your blog posts and am intrigued. The design is interesting and im certainly keen to check it out on release.

Is there a way to get emailed about blog updates? Or can you post in here a link each time?

#3 dudemanphat

dudemanphat

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:05 PM

So I read your blog posts and am intrigued. The design is interesting and im certainly keen to check it out on release.

Is there a way to get emailed about blog updates? Or can you post in here a link each time?

Thanks man, that is a very good question? i can definitely post them here, they will be automatically posting on the facebook site https://www.facebook.com/tighttechnz/which is not really built yet or on my twitter account @jrsimmonds.

Thanks a lot for checking it out man. If you wanna chuck me your email i can probably work out a mailing list of some type?

#4 MunchytheFox

MunchytheFox
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Steam ID:thinkingdistance
  • PSN:FreeDescent

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:45 PM

Dam this is really cool! Really like hearing your thoughts and insights :)

#5 dudemanphat

dudemanphat

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

Dam this is really cool! Really like hearing your thoughts and insights :)

Thanks MuchchytheFox, i appreciate the comments.

#6 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan
  • Steam ID:Monkeyman_707
  • PSN:Monkeyman_707
  • Xbox Live:MonkeyManRacing

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:09 PM

Looks cool, I'm keen to follow along. Hopefully this will give me the inspiration I need to work on my own game projects.   :thumbsup:

I do have to say though that I can't stand the uncapitalised I's used in the blogs  :wacko:

Are you using unity to make this? Any other technologies involved?

#7 dudemanphat

dudemanphat

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

Looks cool, I'm keen to follow along. Hopefully this will give me the inspiration I need to work on my own game projects.   :thumbsup:

I do have to say though that I can't stand the uncapitalised I's used in the blogs  :wacko:

Hey MonkeyMan, thanks a lot. I appreciate the comment about the uncapitalised I's and you will (hopefully) not find one again.

Yip i am using Unity as the game engine, its pretty much the only engine i have ever used and i know it pretty well. Apart from that its really just Photoshop for textures and Adobe Animate for sprites. 

Let me know if you have any games online i can take a look at.

You should definitely start working on games again.

Edited by dudemanphat, 05 July 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#8 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12419 posts
  • PSN:foxymcstupid

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

Looking good man! The blog will help keep you honest and on schedule too - so that's a great idea. Also, this MonkeyMan! Try out Unity, it's free, got easy tutorials and easy as hell to pick up. I'm currently using it to teach myself C# finally, and mostly it's been a dream.

#9 dudemanphat

dudemanphat

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:50 AM

Looking good man! The blog will help keep you honest and on schedule too - so that's a great idea. Also, this MonkeyMan! Try out Unity, it's free, got easy tutorials and easy as hell to pick up. I'm currently using it to teach myself C# finally, and mostly it's been a dream.

Thanks man, I agree Unity is great and there has been some amazing games made on it.  Possibly one of my favourite games ever made (after crash bandicoot) Ori and the Blind Forest was made in Unity and its incredible both in controls and aesthetic. 

#10 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

Hey MonkeyMan, thanks a lot. I appreciate the comment about the uncapitalised I's and you will (hopefully) not find one again.

Yip i am using Unity as the game engine, its pretty much the only engine i have ever used and i know it pretty well. Apart from that its really just Photoshop for textures and Adobe Animate for sprites. 

You're killing me man  :mellow:

Edited by MonkeyMan, 05 July 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#11 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12419 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

*You're.

TBH I used to NEVER use capitalization. Might be a coder thing, cos if you type all day you want to reduce your key strokes? Or in my case - laziness.

#12 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

Thanks man, I agree Unity is great and there has been some amazing games made on it.  Possibly one of my favourite games ever made (after crash bandicoot) Ori and the Blind Forest was made in Unity and its incredible both in controls and aesthetic. 

Yeah I have actually used unity on a uni project a couple years ago, I should try see if that's still available online. I've been trying to make apps more recently so was doing native android but really want to make cross platform. I ended up trying to use a couple of different technologies, react native being one and it just fully didn't work. Was the most frustrating experience so I've kinda lacked motivation after that. Downloading unity again now though, it's time to get back into it  :thumbsup:

The frustrating part of using unity was trying to share the project between the group of developers, git didn't really like all the strange files unity creates

Edited by MonkeyMan, 05 July 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#13 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12419 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

I wouldn't have that problem as I try to work with as few people as possible :P

#14 dudemanphat

dudemanphat

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

You're killing me man  :mellow:

i don't know what your talking about?  ;)

Edited by dudemanphat, 05 July 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#15 dudemanphat

dudemanphat

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

The frustrating part of using unity was trying to share the project between the group of developers, git didn't really like all the strange files unity creates

Yea man, I (<-- that was for you Stupidlikeafox) have had a lot of problems using Git repositories with Unity projects also. 

#16 promaori

promaori

Your local jandal bandit

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1723 posts
  • Steam ID:haxspidornz
  • PSN:promaori
  • Wii:promaori
  • Xbox Live:promaori

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

Hey mate, was just reading through and noticed that clicking your wordpress link in the first post brings up a warning page about an invalid SSL certificate for "https://www.joemakes...wordpress.com".It redirects through to "https://joemakesagame.wordpress.com/" anyway, but you'll want to either add the original URL to your SSL certificate or update the link in the OP  :thumbsup:

#17 dudemanphat

dudemanphat

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

Hey mate, was just reading through and noticed that clicking your wordpress link in the first post brings up a warning page about an invalid SSL certificate for "https://www.joemakes...wordpress.com".It redirects through to "https://joemakesagame.wordpress.com/" anyway, but you'll want to either add the original URL to your SSL certificate or update the link in the OP  :thumbsup:

Hey promaori. Thanks for checking it out and i appreciate the advice about the link.  Hopefully i have fixed the link now. 

#18 promaori

promaori

Your local jandal bandit

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1723 posts
  • Steam ID:haxspidornz
  • PSN:promaori
  • Wii:promaori
  • Xbox Live:promaori

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

Hey promaori. Thanks for checking it out and i appreciate the advice about the link.  Hopefully i have fixed the link now. 

still broken unforunately. you might need to edit the URL or re-add it?

gV3cxgV.jpg

#19 dudemanphat

dudemanphat

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

Thanks Promaori have tried to fix it again, hopefully that done it.

#20 twisterjamz

twisterjamz

Saitama

• Members
  • 5141 posts
  • Steam ID:twisterjamz
  • PSN:twisterjamzz

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:01 PM

Awesome stuff man, I've liked your FB page and following the blog so I can keep up to date with how your games going.

Definitely inspiring for me to try and set my goals. Keep it up :thumbsup:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game dev, development, games, nz games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users