Photo

Help with Consumer Guarantees Act and Ps4 Console

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LaraPCroft

LaraPCroft
  • PSN:LaraPCroft

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

OK, so apologies in advance as I don't post often and when I do it's a question, guess I am more of a lurker. But after reading some very useful advice on here decided to pursue getting something done re our release console. After months of it getting worse ( not starting up or dying mid game ) We bought a new console with the intention of using the old one in the bedroom. Well it now won't start up at all and have tried some of the suggested fixes. I approached the retailer via email as it was purchased through Mighty Ape and this was the reply.##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request (340883) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.
Holly Domb
Holly Dombroski (Mighty Ape)
Jun 21, 6:05 PM NZST

Thanks for getting in touch and I am sorry you are having issues with you PS4
Unfortunately, they do only have a 12month warranty as this is what Sony consider a reasonable time frame.
Due to this, there is not anything we can currently do in this instance to help.
You can call Sony and see if they as the manufacturer they will come to the party but I am sorry they most likely will not :(
I am very sorry for the disappointment here
Kind Regards,
Holly Dombroski - Senior Customer Service

What should I do now! Its 3 years 7 Months old and thought roughly the CGA covered it for 5 which I mentioned to them. Or do I just accept its f#@$#@?

#2 iLythium

iLythium

Rageaholic!

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • PSN:iLythium
  • Xbox Live:iLythium

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

Usually if it's within 3 years old and you go to Sony and quote CGA they would eventually come to the party. They would initially push back but if you stand your ground you would eventually get them to at least cover the cost of getting it replaced with a refurbished unit.

Outside of 3 years they're likely to say there's nothing they can do. Just remember the people on the other end of the phone have bosses telling them what they can and can't do! Speaking from experience here.

#3 x_potatoe_x

x_potatoe_x
  • NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• Gaming Night Host
  • 1237 posts
  • PSN:x_potatoe_x
  • Xbox Live:metalbeater

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

Ring Sony and have something written down so you don't fluff it.
Maybe talk to citz advice I would pick 5 to 7 years expected life due to time between new models or ps5

#4 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 2015 posts
  • Steam ID:iludez
  • PSN:iludez
  • Xbox Live:iludez

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

Talk to Sony first, remind them of their obligations under the cga. An expected life of a game console is 5+ years. If Sony don't play ball talk to citizens advice and see what they say but I'd expect Sony to remedy it.

#5 my_r32

my_r32
  • PSN:my_zx6rr
  • Xbox Live:Crudbubbles

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

Yeah definitely push with Sony they will try and weasel their way out of it. Unfortunately this is actually why we still get an extended warranty, so much easier if something goes wrong

#6 siamese

siamese

siamesedreams

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 1696 posts
  • PSN:siamesedreams

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

I've always heard 5 years for Computer/Consoles within CGA guidelines.  Check out the GPFORUMS (game planet) I believe they had a thorough thread related to this kind of thing.

#7 Toddyno7

Toddyno7
  • PSN:Toddyno7

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

OK, so apologies in advance as I don't post often and when I do it's a question, guess I am more of a lurker. But after reading some very useful advice on here decided to pursue getting something done re our release console. After months of it getting worse ( not starting up or dying mid game ) We bought a new console with the intention of using the old one in the bedroom. Well it now won't start up at all and have tried some of the suggested fixes. I approached the retailer via email as it was purchased through Mighty Ape and this was the reply.##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request (340883) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.
Holly Domb
Holly Dombroski (Mighty Ape)
Jun 21, 6:05 PM NZST

Thanks for getting in touch and I am sorry you are having issues with you PS4
Unfortunately, they do only have a 12month warranty as this is what Sony consider a reasonable time frame.
Due to this, there is not anything we can currently do in this instance to help.
You can call Sony and see if they as the manufacturer they will come to the party but I am sorry they most likely will not :(
I am very sorry for the disappointment here
Kind Regards,
Holly Dombroski - Senior Customer Service

What should I do now! Its 3 years 7 Months old and thought roughly the CGA covered it for 5 which I mentioned to them. Or do I just accept its f#@$#@?

First of all, read through this link (based on a PS3) and link so that you're well aware of your rights and what the life expectancy of a games console is. Then go back to Mighty Ape and ask them what your rights are under the CGA. This will at least get them to understand that you're aware that the CGA exists.

The onus is on the retailer (first of all) to contact the manufacture regarding the fault. You should let them Mighty Ape know that the 12 month manufacturer warranty is not the deciding factor regarding life expectancy. 

Another good quick read is http://www.stuff.co....ds-and-services

#8 I3ridgeI3urner

I3ridgeI3urner
  • PSN:I3ridgeI3urner
  • Xbox Live:SFX7

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:19 PM

Hi.  I just had mine replaced under the CGA.  It was a launch version, but purchased new in  August 2014 and it got replaced in April this year. Mine was having problems with LAN cable disconnected.  This would push it offline at random times.  I went through the PS forums and many people had the same issue.  So, I contacted them through Twitter initially, and eventually got to an email and then a phone call and they did some trouble shooting, identified the issue as a faulty LAN port and said I could send it in and pay for it or try and get it repaired under CGA.  I had to write a persuasive letter outlining why I felt this was so.  I read up on the parts of the CGA I thought pertained to my case and then wrote on that basis.  Essentially, that the LAN port on a piece of consumer electronics should last for the life of the product.  I referenced my Xbox 360 that had been connected to the net via LAN for 8 years with no issues (although I had sent my 360 into MS for repair 9 times across its life, none of which I paid for I might add)!   So, PS were very good on this issue and the help staff were first rate.   So, you will need to know what the CGA says with regard to your issue and then perhaps email them first to establish a baseline for the problem and set up a phone call. 

#9 Trial_and_Terror

Trial_and_Terror
  • PSN:Trial_and_Terror

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:43 AM

I went through something similar last year. My console was around 2 years old and it kept popping the disc out during gameplay. I had a bit of back and forth with the retailer (EB) and eventually got them to own up.

The onus is on the retailer to sort it out with Sony, regardless of whatever the warranty is. They know this; they're just trying to fob you off. As others have said, do your homework, quote them the relevant sections of the CGA and just basically hassle them until you win.

#10 cortez72

cortez72
  • PSN:cortez72

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

I plugged in my Sega Saturn a couple of weeks ago. Still works after 1000's of hours play, 20 years later. It's a shame modern consoles have been built so hurriedly and not stress tested.

Never had to use the CGA before but know plenty of people who have successfully. Launch prices of these machines are so steep, the manufacturer should stand by their product longer than 12 months. Good luck with your battle, stand your ground.

#11 brettz0r

brettz0r

Gamer / Event Host

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Gaming Night Host
  • 2358 posts
  • PSN:BrettzOr

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

How did you go Lara?
All the advice above is top notch. Providing you have damaged the console yourself, then you should be covered under the cga.
Mightyape and Sony PlayStation will be very aware of this themselves but usually companies don't like to act on in unless pushed.
You will nearly always get your reply first, saying that your product is out of warranty as a way to deter most people away. Just keep going. I know I posted on here a while back the letter I sent regarding my original PS4 controllers to get them replaced under cga that worked for me.

If you need more help I can try find it for you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users