Photo

Switch Games, reviews + recommendations

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 czk51

czk51
  • PSN:cheradenineZ

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

It's only a small library available at the moment on the Switch and while I still have a loooooooooong long way to go in Zelda, it's nice to change things up a little and I'm sure people have been contemplating the same. I've grabbed a few more games since the Switch launched so thought I'd share my impressions of 'em, and I welcome yall to contribute too. 

Zelda: You already have this game, silly buns. Yes, it's amazing. 

Fast RMX: I've never played any of the F-Zero or Redout games but I spent my late teens playing the wipeout series on PS. I find this game is great in short bursts. The tracks look great but are not overly complex. There are no weapons, but a neat speed boost mechanic where you have to match the colour of your thrusters to the pads you are flying over. It has online multiplayer but most of my time has been spent solo play or split screen multiplayer with my son. The game looks and performs amazingly. I think it's around $33 on the eshop. 

fastrmxsplitscreen-1024x576.jpg

1-2 Switch: bought this knowing full well it's basically an overpriced tech demo but I actually really wanted to test the motion controls and 'hd rumble' of the Switch, also it looked like great fun with my little man. So far we've had a great time with it, some games are too complex for him to fully understand so we stick to the sword catching, quick draw and table tennis. There are some obvious issues with detection at times especially on table tennis where it seems to hit the ball when you clearly didn't intend to. 

fl12switch.jpg

Shovel Knight Treasure Trove: Loved this game on the Vita but wanted to upgrade since this 'definitive package' includes 3 campaigns and another to come later. Neat old school platformer, challenging bosses and neat levels but unfortunately the standard joycon controls are not quite accurate enough for some of the trickier jumps. I find myself alternating between the analogue and digital movement controls. 

Shovel_Knight_screenshot.png

The Binding Of Isaac Afterbirth +: only grabbed this due to the hype behind it, and only available on the US eshop (had to by foreign eshop cards to purchase, can explain this later if needed). Didn't really click for me at first but after a while I was really digging it and found it hard to put down. It's yukky, offensive and runs like a dream on the switch. At NZD $58 could I recommend? Hmmmmm not sure. The diehard community report that playtime extends well over 600 hours so I dunno. Will keep at it and see. 

tumblr_inline_nq0z2oAZSj1rq0wgw_500.gif

#2 FreddlePopGameS

FreddlePopGameS

Hero of Time

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • PSN:II_SanD_CameL
  • Wii:SW-6107-0369-3801
  • Xbox Live:FreddlePopGameS

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Great Reviews!

I highly recommend Snipperclips.

It's an amazing co-op game for 2-4 players that involves solving challenges that will test your brain and strain your relationship with your co-op partner.

The ingenuity of this game is genius and though it appears to be a simple puzzle game like what you would find on phones and tablets, it's actually far from simple. It's a game that's simple in its premise yet very challenging, addictive, fun and rewarding. Priced at $29.99 it's well worth it and besides playing the obvious Zelda BotW, it has been the go to game for my wife and I.

Another game I highly recommend is Super BombermanR.

If you love the classic Bomberman games then you're sure to love this too. Co-op campaign is super fun and multiplayer is pure mayhem. This is a game my wife said looked dumb but once we started playing together she got hooked. It's simple and addictive and my wife sucks at gaming, hates most games and yet enjoyed this one. I recommend digitally downloading it because it seems to be cheaper on the eShop than in most stores.

#3 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10673 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

Snipper Clips is awesome, especially for its price. But Super Bombeman is really fun but far too overpriced for its content.

Great game, but try getting it cheaper.

#4 czk51

czk51

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

It was a tough decision between snipperclips and 1 2 switch especially given the price difference but we've played the demo a hundred times so thought it might be better to go with the latter.

Bomberman looks fun but yea that price.

#5 Jonathan-OverWorld

Jonathan-OverWorld
  • Steam ID:link_nz
  • PSN:LinkNZ
  • Wii:SW-4823-5180-3430 (Switch)
  • Xbox Live:Linkx NZ

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

Yea stick with The Binding of Isaac, once you get more a grasp of all the items and how everything works while going deeper into the game you'll be well and truly hooked!

It's very challenging yet extremely addicting. :heart: Having a handheld mode just makes it even better!

My physical Switch copy arrived from overseas today, sooo excited to get stuck in again (and explore the Afterbirth+ content which I haven't actually played much of yet being a mainly console gamer, cause Switch is the first console to have the + content released for it).

One of my most fav games of recent times and I'm really happy to finally have it in a physical form for my collection. :D

OtugMZw.jpg

#6 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10673 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Was never the biggest fan of binding of Isaac. I played it for a few hours on vita and enjoyed it enough to feel those hours were justified. But permadeth always gives a game limited life for me.

#7 Jaz

Jaz

#SILVERSCUM

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4318 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

Zelda (physical) - awesome

1-2 Switch (physical) - limited and a bit sh*t really

Binding of Issac (physical) - awesome
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (digital) - awesome
Fast RMX (digital) - awesome
Blaster Master Zero (digital) - my fav game so far

Ill get Bomberman when its cheaper. Its around 40 bucks locally here for me now. 30 and Im in.

The ace Xbox 360 version is like a tenner.

Edited by Jaz, 26 March 2017 - 05:22 PM.

#8 czk51

czk51

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

Surprised to see BMZ as your favorite, I might still grab this.

Edited by czk51, 26 March 2017 - 05:42 PM.

#9 Jaz

Jaz

#SILVERSCUM

• Members
  • 4318 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

Surprised to see BMZ as your favorite, I might still grab this.

It's a great game. Cheap aswell.

#10 czk51

czk51

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

A few more: 

Lego City Undercover - bought this mainly for the co-op feature with my 5yo but it's been a real hoot. Think of it as Grand Theft Auto lite, for kids. Car handling is awful and yes, it's an old Wii U game, but having never owned a Wii U I'm thankful it's been brought to Switch. I did have to fork out for a second controller for Co-op but I needed an excuse to get a pro controller anyway.

Wonder Boy 3  - it was a toss up between PS4 and Switch and while yeah I'm guilty as sin to yearn for trophy support, the portable nature won me over on the switch. Neat old school mechanics but the modern art is stunning on the Switch screen. The game is certainly a lot harder than I was expecting!!!

Blaster Master Zero - only played 30 mins so can't really comment but struggling to get used to the 'slippy' controls. I'll get there!

Disgaea 5 - again, I went for portability over the PS4 version. Also considering it contains all the DLC it worked out much cheaper on Switch. I purchased on the JP Eshop but it will be out next month for NZ. 18 hours in and I still don't feel like I'm really playing it 'properly'. Seems to be so many weird and wonderful features and mechanics that I'm still not utilizing. Crazy fun light hearted story with some darker elements, deep combat system if you want to delve in and perfect for on the go. 

#11 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10673 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

I'm still mainly jamming Zelda on it.  I'm not very far in, I just keep farting around in the game.  I have a bad feeling I will do that until I get bored and may never finish it.

#12 czk51

czk51

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

Arms - Despite being underwhelmed by the test-punch (demo) events the full game has been awesome fun. Medium difficulty in the Grand Prix quickly forces you to play safe and you discover deeper strategy and technique within the game. Longevity-wise though not sure how long I'll stick with it, online is fun but only in short bursts now. I've also reverted back to the regular stick controls over motion. 

GoNNER - side scrolling frantic and addictive rogue-like. Blippy, colourful, mysterious and a 'one more run' style game that will keep you up past midnight if you are not careful. Loving it, and great value at around $17nzd. 

#13 Bobbety_F

Bobbety_F

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

Arms

I bought Arms last weekend and had a ton of fun with it. So much so, I decided to make a very stupid video on it;-) I was using the pro controller as I wasn't feeling too energetic (it's an age thing!), but am hoping to have stored up enough energy to try motion controls this weekend. I may have to have a long lie down afterwards, though. 

The aforementioned very stupid video...feel free to ignore:-)

#14 czk51

czk51

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

Splatoon 2 - franticly splatty shooter. Didn't really enjoy the campaign as it was pretty much a bunch of trials (never played the first one but believe it's the same kinda thing). Multiplayer is fun and a few different modes available, casual, ranked and another higher ranked mode I guess I'll never unlock coz you have you need a decent enough rating in Ranked to unlock it. A lot of people rave about Salmon Run (horde mode) - honestly, I don't enjoy it at all. I'm a minority on that one though. 

splatoon-2-testfire5.jpg

Cars 3 - Bought this for my son as a bit of a Mario Kart clone. It is very MK-ish with lots of characters, weapons, tracks and modes. Actual racing feels a bit bland - maybe the tracks are too wide, or the fact that each character is exactly the same (no stats). We've played 3 player split screen a few times as a family, works well. 

launchscreenshots_1200x560_10_869d1cc4.j

Slime-san - basic looking platformer with surprisingly deep options and customization. Neat little game that ramps up the challenge after the first world (maybe 25% through the game). Controls to get very tricky later when you are juggling your movement, boost and ability to slip through things. Lots of mechanics to master but once you do, it's a blast. Also offers a speed run and collectibles throughout the levels. 

2.jpg

Lego Worlds - Lego meets Minecraft meets No Man's Sky. I'm only early on through the adventure mode but really enjoying it, though controls are a bit overwhelming at first and I can't see myself building anything in a traditional block-by-block sense outside of pasting in pre-made creations. So far the only objective seems to be collecting gold blocks from each world but to get them you must perform various tasks for NPC's. 

lego-worlds-xbox-one-review-001.jpg

Phantom Trigger - Obvious comparisons to HyperLight Drifter (which I'm still yet to play). Curious story, great visual style and awesome soundtrack soon wear out their welcome due to tedious gameplay, repeditive looking levels, and the same tune playing on each level. Multiple endings offer incentives for playthroughs but the core gameplay just feels week. The progression is simple in unlocking combos but I just didn't enjoy using most of them. Really disappointed with this one. 

1.jpg

(note, all images chosen from google, not necessarily from Switch, but they look pretty much the same) 

#15 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10673 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

Still waiting for my Splatoon 2 to arrive from NZGameshop but I've been jamming Mario + Rabbids and its great.

Silly and actually funny at times, beautiful looking Mario game, great tactical combat battles.

#16 RKO_NZ

RKO_NZ

www.obsrv.org

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • Steam ID:Fnpwnage
  • PSN:NiueanNemesis
  • Xbox Live:TERMINATOR NZL

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

This is the month where my Switch gets some love. NBA2K and FIFA. two good games really looking forward to jamming at work during downtime and lunch. Also excited for LA Noire, but its a pity those are still coming out in November, along with Resident Evil Rev 1 and Skyrim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users