Applying to Board of Review for a review of the Gal*Gun ban

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

"There is a big difference between grand theft auto and playing a game that is specifically made about schoolgirls being shown in a sexualised way."

Ah okay so it's okay to shoot someone in the head, in your world view. Good to know.

Bit of a stretch to pull that from there

Edited by AdamC, 15 February 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#22 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10694 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

Also WaltzIT, can you please advise why you had nothing to say on the NZG article about the subject?

Why you only got involved when Matt created a thread to crowd fund the appeal.  That seems odd as your views (though still far too aggressive) would have fit that topic whereas here its only hurting the "cause" the thread is made to help.

#23 woollywol

woollywol
  • Steam ID:PoodleDjinn
  • PSN:wilywol60
  • Wii:woollywol60

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

This game however is completely based around objectionable material about young girls, I'm not sure why you are so aggressive towards this fact. Are you trying to justify your rationale? Or is it simply because my opinion does align with your own?

Could I just ask how you (and others here arguing along the same lines) actually *know* this? How do you know it's "objectionable" material - and on what scale are you judging this objectionable nature? 

I'm assuming that you, and others, have not in fact played the game.

The game is rated 16+ in the UK.

I would fully endorse an adult rating of 16 or 18+. But not a ban. 

Young girls are not being protected by this ban. All that a ban is saying is "this game will turn young men into potential molesters and paedophiles".

Really?

It's similar to arguing that an 18+ rated highly violent game will, in itself, turn young men into rampaging gun-wielding aggressors. 

It usually takes a community of like-minded people to turn each other into something that's anti-social and reprehensible.

#24 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1907 posts
  • Steam ID:iludez
  • PSN:iludez
  • Xbox Live:iludez

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

I've not played the game no, and would never personally.

But a quick Google will bring up some very questionable material.

#25 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10694 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

Could I just ask how you (and others here arguing along the same lines) actually *know* this? How do you know it's "objectionable" material - and on what scale are you judging this objectionable nature?

I'm assuming that you, and others, have not in fact played the game.

The game is rated 16+ in the UK.
I would fully endorse an adult rating of 16 or 18+. But not a ban.

Young girls are not being protected by this ban. All that a ban is saying is "this game will turn young men into potential molesters and paedophiles".
Really?
It's similar to arguing that an 18+ rated highly violent game will, in itself, turn young men into rampaging gun-wielding aggressors.
It usually takes a community of like-minded people to turn each other into something that's anti-social and reprehensible.

To be fair Woolly the nature of that post is bouncing off the aggression of the one Ludez is responding to.

I can understand both sides. I could believe someone who is attracted to children playing a game of that nature (based on what we have read) may be motivated to look at more pictures of said attraction which is a crime.

Just like I could believe someone playing GTA may get their adrenalin up for awesome action and watch an action movie.

I don't think anyone reasonably thinks it will cause the disorder of paedophilia. But think there is a reasonable discussion to be had about if someone with said disorder but suppresses it, could potentially find themselves tantalised by the game and that may start a reaction.

The flip side is it may have no effect or even a positive one.

I don't know, I'm not a psychiatrist, I don't know if anyone here is and if they are if they have done extensive peer reviewed research on the matter.

Please be respectful to each other. I've left forums permanently because of the twisted nature of this discussion when both sides become unreasonable.

People can discuss things without getting too aggressive (I've fallen for that).

E.g. This review doesn't overturn it. It just makes the chief censor re-evaluate it. Its possible he comes to the same conclusion again.

Edited by drunk_monk, 15 February 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#26 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• Members
  • 1907 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

I do not mean any offense to anyone here at all,and please do not take any of my posts too seriously. As it's just my opinion and I'm in no way insinuating that anyone here is in some way wrong for playing the game.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the appeal of the game.

#27 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10694 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the appeal of the game.

From what I've read it has fun gameplay and it's sexualisation is so dumb it's funny.

For the public harm argument I think Matt makes a great point:
Australia allowed it.
Australia had South Park censored and hotline Miami censored or banned for sexual content.

If this game didn't get banned by them it's hard to imagine it being that bad in context.

#28 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

This game however is completely based around objectionable material about young girls, I'm not sure why you are so aggressive towards this fact. Are you trying to justify your rationale? Or is it simply because my opinion does align with your own?

Really?

This is what they are actually saying.

" likely not only to attract people with a prurient interest in young persons,
but also to reinforce the belief that a sexual interest in young persons is acceptable, which
contributes to their sexual exploitation in wider society"

#29 woollywol

woollywol
  • Steam ID:PoodleDjinn
  • PSN:wilywol60
  • Wii:woollywol60

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:10 PM

Please be respectful to each other. I've left forums permanently because of the twisted nature of this discussion when both sides become unreasonable.

People can discuss things without getting too aggressive (I've fallen for that).

I don't believe I've been disrespectful or aggressive?

I think it's really really important that people - when discussing controversial topics like this - stay as factual as possible.

#30 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10694 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

I don't believe I've been disrespectful or aggressive?

I think it's really really important that people - when discussing controversial topics like this - stay as factual as possible.

No that's not referring to you Wooly. Just in general.

I agree but when ethics come in, opinions are a big part of it.

#31 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5200 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:44 PM

You know what is really disturbing? That people who have a problem with games like this are okay with games that are full of guns and nationalism to exist.

You think people that enjoy games like Gal*Gun are perverts? Then what does it say about people that like shooting people in the head in a military game like Call of Duty? What does it say about people that like driving like a hoon and killing people for no reason whatsoever in GTA?

Why aren't you calling for those games to be banned? I'll tell you. Because you're a hypocrite. You probably enjoy games that have some SERIOUSLY nasty content in them, but you're okay with those games, and realise them to not be harmful in the real world. Meanwhile games you're not interested in, you conjure up bullpoop excuses for claiming they should be banned, while slandering the people that do enjoy them in the process.

Unless your gaming tastes start and stop with Nintendo and Tetris, you're deluding yourself if you think you have some kind of moral high ground in opposing Gal*Gan.

End of story, fact. Your distaste for a game is not a reasonable or rational excuse to argue it should be banned.

Strong first post. :) Stick around on the forum a bit; you sound more clued up than most.

Lighter games like this are definitely more tasteful than the usual killfest games which flood the market, so it'd be good to at least get this one back on shelves.

P.S. I don't play games involving killing things either, but I also think Nintendo is sh*t.

and Gal*Gun is set in an academy, not a school.

Edited by emetic, 15 February 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#32 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10694 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:54 PM

Not that clued up. "Why aren't you calling for those games to be banned? I'll tell you. Because you're a hypocrite."

Nobody in the thread had called for it to be banned.

#33 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10694 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

Whats the difference?

A quick Google I am finding Japanese Middle and High Schools called x academy.

#34 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5200 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

Not that clued up. "Why aren't you calling for those games to be banned? I'll tell you. Because you're a hypocrite."

That could be read between the lines of "I think the ban is warranted", "children need to be protected" or just the conspicuous lack of protest at the ban when there would've been an uproar if a popular shooter was banned.

#35 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5200 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

Whats the difference?

Well.

It's like the difference between school girls and college girls maybe: the difference is a perceived age.

#36 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• Members
  • 1907 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

That could be read between the lines of "I think the ban is warranted", "children need to be protected" or just the conspicuous lack of protest at the ban when there would've been an uproar if a popular shooter was banned.

I don't think it's fair to compare this to an arcade shooter.

#37 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan
  • Steam ID:Monkeyman_707
  • PSN:Monkeyman_707
  • Xbox Live:MonkeyManRacing

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

I don't know the extent of what's in this game (nor do I care to look it up) but in relation to that watch dogs 2 genitalia picture I did see a quote that made me stop and think. What a world we live in where blowing people up is accepted but seeing some genitalia causes an uproar.

Another thought I also tend to have in these situations is in a futuristic world where human life and behaviour is far closer to perfect would you expect to find this sort of thing. (actually I think in an elves world because I think of elves being far more intelligent). Like in that world I would not expect any sort of violent of sexually abusive games, everyone would be playing games like rocket league or something.

But idk really, maybe I'm just trying to justify my personal taste in games. I always feel so conflicted on topics like this. Tbh mostly im just curious to see how this whole appeals process actually works.

#38 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10694 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

Whats the difference?
Well.
It's like the difference between school girls and college girls maybe: the difference is a perceived age.

What are you defining as school then?

As personally I see primary school, intermediate / middle school and high school as school.

Also are you referring to college as in high school or college as in university?

#39 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10694 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

For people like me in the middle or against the game but willing to consider another angle this is an interesting read:
http://thespinoff.co...e-into-the-law/

EDIT: Actually I just saw Matt linked that on his givealittle so I get no credit for finding it, but still a good read.

Edited by drunk_monk, 15 February 2017 - 07:20 PM.

#40 darklordfoamy

darklordfoamy
  • Steam ID:dark lord foamy
  • PSN:radfoamy
  • Xbox Live:darklordfoamy

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

You know one thing this whole thing has made me curious about is how much has this helped the game get noticed. As I've seen this be reported in other sites around the world as well so does make you wonder as honestly if it had just been ignored it probably would have very quickly faded into obscurity after being on the front page of releases for day before being buried in the daily release of crap that comes on steam and being replaced by the hot new release or preorder on the PS store. By banning it though it's actually brought it to attention. Hell the this brings up the whole Manhunt thing again when that got banned here and tons of people went "what this game has been banned? Why? What's it done? I must find out!" Which resulted in numerous copies of it being imported into the country or pirated because people wanted to know why. Does make me wonder if the same has happened here with this.

As for the game itself. Honestly couldn't give a toss either way but this is one another of case of something kind of accepted in Japan that has left and the majority of the rest of the world just gives a weird look to it. Ah Japan a country I can say I both love and be completely confused by all at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users