• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Coddfish

Coddfish
  • Steam ID:Coddfish
  • PSN:NZMatt1
  • Xbox Live:RedRubicante

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Hi NZGamer.com community. Long time no forum!

Some of you might have noticed that Gal*Gun: Double Peace was banned in New Zealand recently: http://nzgamer.com/n...nned-in-nz.html

I know I'm not alone in thinking this is an excessive move, so I'm currently in the process of applying to the Film & Literature Board of Review to have the decision looked at. Basically, what will happen is the Board of Review will play and assess the game by the same criteria that the Office of Film and Literature Classification uses; if they reach a different conclusion to the OFLC, the BOR's ruling will stand.

Unfortuately, there's a fee of $204.44 involved. I'm prepared to shoulder this, but it's a lot of money, so I'd appreciate any help that people are willing to give. I've set up a givealittle campaign for donations: https://givealittle....fication-review

It's a lewd game that some people will no doubt find offensive, but an outright ban is a really extreme step that I don't think is warranted. Freedom of expression and all that. I think the OFLC's ruling grossly misrepresented the game in order to justify the ban, and that's not fair to the developers, publishers, and people who want to play it. I also genuinely think it has a lot of artistic merit (it's a clever satire of hentai and erotic games, more than anything else), but this shouldn't be a requirement for a game to avoid the banhammer. When NZ bans a game that even Australia let through, you know something's not right.

Anyway, yeah, I'd appreciate any help that people can offer. The review will go ahead regardless, this is just to help me cover the fees involved. 

Note that a review doesn't mean that the ban will be overturned, but it's the only place where an overturn is possible at this stage.

#2 woollywol

woollywol
  • Steam ID:PoodleDjinn
  • PSN:wilywol60
  • Wii:woollywol60

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:49 PM

A very worthy cause, I hope it finds support.
I've already done my civic duty. :)

#3 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5314 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

Huh that's a surprisingly low fee to pay someone to play a game through for review.

#4 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10899 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:54 AM

I did wonder what your view would be when I saw the news.

I have no interest in the game but I'll flick some cash towards it when I can as I find this really interesting and would love to see the process unfold.

#5 Coddfish

Coddfish

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

Huh that's a surprisingly low fee to pay someone to play a game through for review.

It's a reduced fee for members of the public with no commercial interest in what's being reviewed. Normally it's a lot more.

#6 ericaf95

ericaf95
  • PSN:Ericaf1995

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

I have to admit I'm a little conflicted on this. The over-sexualisation of young girls is definitely a conversation that needs to be had, but I really don't think that censoring creativity this way and banning a game that I suspect may be more silly satire than anything else is going to facilitate that.

However, given the reduced fee, I'd imagine they're probably going to get a review of this decision, so I'll be interested to see how that goes.

#7 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • Steam ID:iludez
  • PSN:iludez
  • Xbox Live:iludez

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

Controversial comment incoming.

But why would anyone want to play this game? It's quite frankly disturbing at the very least.

#8 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

Controversial comment incoming.

But why would anyone want to play this game? It's quite frankly disturbing at the very least.

I don't see the problem with this being kept off shelves.
I get the whole "don't tell me what I can and can't play" mentality though.
But if it's more harm than good?

#9 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10899 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

I don't see the problem with this being kept off shelves.
I get the whole "don't tell me what I can and can't play" mentality though.
But if it's more harm than good?

So Matt sees it as more art than filth being satire etc.

And satire has that issue a lot. Like when someone was taking the piss out of Mike Hosking's by saying a bunch of racist sh*t as if they were him.
Some people took the person's words literally and there was a big stink about the radio personality saying racist stuff. The on behalf of Mike Hosking's aspect was lost.

Personally I think the game is more creep than satire, but at most this appeal only means they will play the game with matt's context and make a decision. May remain banned.

I'll personally be fascinated to see the process.

#10 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

I just can't see the appeal of a game like this? I mean who would actually want to play it, and for what purpose you would have to ask.

I'm all for freedom of expression but at what point do you say ok this is just disturbing, it's satire sure,but doesn't excuse the fact it have sexualisation of young girls.

I'm ignorant of Japanese anime and games that have content like this, to me I see it and I feel disturbed by it.

I think the ban is warranted

#11 WaltzIT

WaltzIT

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

You know what is really disturbing? That people who have a problem with games like this are okay with games that are full of guns and nationalism to exist.

You think people that enjoy games like Gal*Gun are perverts? Then what does it say about people that like shooting people in the head in a military game like Call of Duty? What does it say about people that like driving like a hoon and killing people for no reason whatsoever in GTA?

Why aren't you calling for those games to be banned? I'll tell you. Because you're a hypocrite. You probably enjoy games that have some SERIOUSLY nasty content in them, but you're okay with those games, and realise them to not be harmful in the real world. Meanwhile games you're not interested in, you conjure up bullpoop excuses for claiming they should be banned, while slandering the people that do enjoy them in the process.

Unless your gaming tastes start and stop with Nintendo and Tetris, you're deluding yourself if you think you have some kind of moral high ground in opposing Gal*Gan.

End of story, fact. Your distaste for a game is not a reasonable or rational excuse to argue it should be banned.

#12 Coddfish

Coddfish

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

I just can't see the appeal of a game like this? I mean who would actually want to play it, and for what purpose you would have to ask.

I'm all for freedom of expression but at what point do you say ok this is just disturbing, it's satire sure,but doesn't excuse the fact it have sexualisation of young girls.

I'm ignorant of Japanese anime and games that have content like this, to me I see it and I feel disturbed by it.

- there's a lot more to the game than sexualisation of young girls

- the sexual content is relatively tame

- it's a fun, well-made game beneath the suggestive stuff

- there's a surprising amount of depth

- it's quite clever in how it deals with themes of sexualisation etc.

You don't have to like it, but that's not justification for a ban. A ban achieves nothing except shutting down any chance of a discussion on the topics that the game canvasses. 

Edited by Coddfish, 15 February 2017 - 12:17 PM.

#13 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

You know what is really disturbing? That people who have a problem with games like this are okay with games that are full of guns and nationalism to exist.

You think people that enjoy games like Gal*Gun are perverts? Then what does it say about people that like shooting people in the head in a military game like Call of Duty? What does it say about people that like driving like a hoon and killing people for no reason whatsoever in GTA?

Why aren't you calling for those games to be banned? I'll tell you. Because you're a hypocrite. You probably enjoy games that have some SERIOUSLY nasty content in them, but you're okay with those games, and realise them to not be harmful in the real world. Meanwhile games you're not interested in, you conjure up bullpoop excuses for claiming they should be banned, while slandering the people that do enjoy them in the process.

Unless your gaming tastes start and stop with Nintendo and Tetris, you're deluding yourself if you think you have some kind of moral high ground in opposing Gal*Gan.

End of story, fact. Your distaste for a game is not a reasonable or rational excuse to argue it should be banned.

I own one r18 game and that is the Witcher 3, I deliberately skip the content I don't like.I've been vocal about stuff like this on here before. So no I'm not a hypocrite.

There is a big difference between grand theft auto and playing a game that is specifically made about schoolgirls being shown in a sexualised way.

The games such as call of duty, battlefield etc are for the most part competitive games and as such it's about player vs player, interacting with other humans in a somewhat social sense. Yes it is death,but you seriously shouldn't compare a cod game to the likes of gun gal.

If I offend anyone I apologize, as I've said I'm ignorant and do not understand the appeal of these games, I cannot rationalise how some of new could sit there with borderline paedophiliac content. Yes it's satire but it's still sexualised content of young girls.
Do the people that play these feel ok doing so? Is it just normal to them?

That's what I don't understand and would like to know more.

#14 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:27 PM

- there's a lot more to the game than sexualisation of young girls
- the sexual content is relatively tame
- it's a fun, well-made game beneath the suggestive stuff
- there's a surprising amount of depth
- it's quite clever in how it deals with themes of sexualisation etc.

You don't have to like it, but that's not justification for a ban. A ban achieves nothing except shutting down any chance of a discussion on the topics that the game canvasses.

Of course there is more but the game is based on it no?

#15 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

I guess the difference to me comes down GTA and COD being its adults vs adult. That's acceptable. Adults can look after themselves. Children need protecting.

#16 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

I guess the difference to me comes down GTA and COD being its adults vs adult. That's acceptable. Adults can look after themselves. Children need protecting.

Don't be silly Adam,it's just satire :)

#17 WaltzIT

WaltzIT

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

"There is a big difference between grand theft auto and playing a game that is specifically made about schoolgirls being shown in a sexualised way."

Ah okay so it's okay to shoot someone in the head, in your world view. Good to know.

#18 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10899 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

I'm not sure why you have only popped onto this site to aggressively defend Matt's stance twice but you are hurting it more than you are helping it.

The previous time I wrote a comment I was trying to understand Matt's views as I had heard conflicting views and was a potential customer.  As tempted as I was to walk away because of the aggressive ass on the internet I decided to write your comment off as a condescending aggressive ass on the internet and only read Matt's views which resulted in the sale of a copy of the game.

Here I am struggling to do the same when I am contemplating contributing to Matt's cause here because of your comment.

There are people in this thread who are open minded and may have their minds changed on this game/topic/concept.  But your over aggression with things like hypocrite is unnecessary and likely to put people off the discussion at all. 

So please back off and don't be an ass.  There is a sensitive topic being discussed here, you are only going to drive people away from Matt's views.

#19 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10899 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:22 PM

"There is a big difference between grand theft auto and playing a game that is specifically made about schoolgirls being shown in a sexualised way."

Ah okay so it's okay to shoot someone in the head, in your world view. Good to know.

Please show the quote where he is OK with people being shot in the head. 

#20 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

I'm not sure I ever mentioned it was ok?

You're completely welcome to your own opinions as am i. But comparing GTA to this game is a big stretch. Given that in GTA you have the option to do what ever you want. Its sole purpose is not to shoot someone in the head, it's bigger then that.

This game however is completely based around objectionable material about young girls, I'm not sure why you are so aggressive towards this fact. Are you trying to justify your rationale? Or is it simply because my opinion does align with your own?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users