The Weekend Chat: Console Launch Line-ups

The Weekend Chat Switch Nintendo Switch launch games launch community

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NZGamer

NZGamer

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

10897-standout.jpg

Nintendo unveiled the launch details of their latest console, the Switch, last week. We managed to get some hands-on time with the device, which marries the portable and home experiences. While a new console is all well and good, most launches are only as successful as the software line-up accompanying them.

The Switch’s line-up might look slim, but the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild promises to be a substantial, open-world experience. Maybe it isn’t always a matter of quantity, as much as it is quality. So this week, we ask you:

What were some of your favourite launch games?

What games justified your purchase? Which ones perfectly showed off what the new hardware could do? What are some of your fondest memories?

Have your say over at NZGamer.com, or in the comments below!

#2 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan
  • Steam ID:Monkeyman_707
  • PSN:Monkeyman_707
  • Xbox Live:MonkeyManRacing

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

Thinking about this I don't think I have bought any console at launch simply because there is never enough games I really really want to justify the cost.

I always wait for the release of some game I'm super interested in which makes me feel like I just need to get the console. I say this as a person who owns a ps3, ps4, vita, 3ds and previously had older handhelds, I didn't buy a wii u because my old flat mate had one but I did buy my own copy of splatoon for it. Splatoon is awesome.

I wont buy a switch at launch either but splatoon and fire emblem have me interested in it for the future

#3 czk51

czk51
  • PSN:cheradenineZ

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:29 PM

Standouts for me:

Super Mario Land on the original Gameboy (pretty sure it was a launch title)
SSX on ps2
Killzone Shadowfall on PS4

#4 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10794 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

SSX on ps2

This and Timesplitters on PS2.

#5 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5232 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Well.

I bought an XB1 at launch so I could play Forza 5, but that turned out to be a massive dud.

I'm still waiting for the other game I wanted to play on XB1, Below.

I seriously can't think of a single good launch title for a console :D :D Yikes. Luckily I've found a wiki.

#6 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5232 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

Oh right, Project Gotham Racing 3 on X360 was pretty decent for its day.

(Edited)

Hexic HD on the same was good too.

Edited by emetic, 20 January 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#7 czk51

czk51
  • PSN:cheradenineZ

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

SSX on ps2

This and Timesplitters on PS2.

Wow I literally couldn't sleep in anticipation of TimeSplitters, forgot about that one!

#8 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10794 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

Wow I literally couldn't sleep in anticipation of TimeSplitters, forgot about that one!

I didn't have a launch ps2, my mate got one early on with SSX and TS.

Both games I had no interest in. Both the reason I saved for a PS2, and series that defined that era for me.

Please come back Timesplitters. And SSX if you have time too.

#9 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

I kill alyens and don't afrayd of anythink

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1821 posts
  • Xbox Live:ChieftaiNZ

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Well.

I bought an XB1 at launch so I could play Forza 5, but that turned out to be a massive dud.

I seriously can't think of a single good launch title for a console :D :D Yikes. Luckily I've found a wiki.

Halo Combat Evolved mate.

#10 FreddlePopGameS

FreddlePopGameS

Hero of Time

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • PSN:II_SanD_CameL
  • Wii:SW-6107-0369-3801
  • Xbox Live:FreddlePopGameS

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

I didn't have a launch ps2, my mate got one early on with SSX and TS.

Both games I had no interest in. Both the reason I saved for a PS2, and series that defined that era for me.

Please come back Timesplitters. And SSX if you have time too.

Timesplitters and SSX are legendary. I bought SSX day one on PS2 and picked up Timesplitters on the GameCube when the game released.

I remember spending hours creating multiplayer levels in Timesplitters map maker mode. "twas a bloody good game.

#11 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10794 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

I remember spending hours creating multiplayer levels in Timesplitters map maker mode. "twas a bloody good game.

I totally forgot about the map making. So many hours spent building them.

#12 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5232 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:22 AM

Well.

Halo Combat Evolved mate.
Going from the gameplay of Quake and Unreal Tournament to trying to use a controller for a shooter was ... unpleasant. I still don't get the appeal of Halo or shooters on consoles in general. Was it the local multiplayer which made it worthwhile?

#13 atipuss

atipuss
  • Steam ID:atimewmew
  • PSN:atipuss
  • Xbox Live:atipuss

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:03 AM

Killzone shadowfall was good fun :)

#14 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4257 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

In that era in particular I feel like the fact that it just worked, without worrying about drivers and such things, must have been a pretty big deal. Even the '90s shooters were starting to test hardware, and people didn't upgrade nearly as readily as they do now. Consumer level PCs were becoming a thing, with iMac in 1998/1999, which actually let's be fair, was supposed to be the main platform Halo, as seen in 1999, was going to run on. RIP Mac-focused Bungie, still where they did their best work.

Also for a lot of people, controllers would have been preferable to having to deal with a lot of keys plus the mouse, when we were only just starting the switch from right handed keypad operation to wasd. I still struggle with combining mouse and keyboard in the likes of Marathon; just lucky there was usually time to think when you needed good vertical aim, as it was often to hit switches rather than enemies. Controller sticks made a lot of sense, even if default settings were and sometimes still are motion sickness inducing.

Also the distribution model made things simpler. The era of shareware had us as kids playing demos and such, but actually getting full games could be a struggle. Yeah that was more a '90s thing but probably still played a part. A lot of the appeal certainly was down to timing. I remember not really being that impressed by Halo when I first saw it on a friend's Xbox, especially for the lack of a map, as I had been used to from Bungie's games in particular, as well as the Mac version of Wolfenstein 3d. But on the PC side especially, Halo was something quite new and improved, and definitely as you say couch coop would have been yet another selling point. My brother and I played Marathon over AppleTalk, but it was a right pain to set up, and the Mac I was on lagged like crazy, to the point that on a lot of maps we would just go out of sync. Things like Bolo worked better, but he was far better than me at that. We never did consoles, my first was a PS4, but I fully get the appeal at that time.

#15 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:26 AM

Zelda is probably the best launch title in a long time but it's on Wii U so it's not exactly a system seller.
I have never been that interested in a launch game except maybe Ryse (I think it was launch).
But then again launch lineups don't mean a lot as I believe the vita had a better launch lineup than the 3ds but we know how that turned out

Edited by AdamC, 21 January 2017 - 07:26 AM.

#16 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4257 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:51 AM

I would also add that pricing would have been a thing. I bought a PC desktop in '99 for 2k and that was a good deal. iMacs started at $NZ3k and you can be damn sure that Halo would have been just as niche as Marathon had it come out on that platform. So it wasn't just the game. Also it might have stayed as more the 3rd person adventure it had been shown as, and it certainly wouldn't have had the likes of couch coop.

#17 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5232 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

Good points. I was reviewing that in my head this morning actually - Halo's a stripped down, accessible shooter, the hardware was consumer level cheap, the learning curve on controllers is minimal (I still haven't mastered it, but it's natural for most people >_>) and... yeah it was "the" game, it just had that critical mass that kept attracting more people to get an xbox and play with their friends. Split-screen and LAN multiplayer were both possible, right? It is a recipe for success when you look at it. 

I still don't like it though. :)

#18 PandaJenkins

PandaJenkins

Otherwise known as 'Pandy Wandy'

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6123 posts
  • Steam ID:Pandajenkees
  • PSN:Pandajenkins
  • Xbox Live:Panda Jenkins

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

Never really bought platforms on launch but I remember getting an OG Xbox within the launch window and coming with Halo + Jet Set Radio future. Amazing.

#19 FreddlePopGameS

FreddlePopGameS

Hero of Time

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • PSN:II_SanD_CameL
  • Wii:SW-6107-0369-3801
  • Xbox Live:FreddlePopGameS

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

I pre-ordered the Switch yesterday :)

I'm a massive Zelda fan and although no single game in the series is my favorite game of all time, it's still my favorite video game series so I'm excited about playing BotW. My favorite types of games are single player horror games but to me Zelda games just have a magic feel that takes me back to my early days so one being a launch game is exciting combined with the excitement of a new console too. 

The bad news is, buying a switch with Zelda is $649 and that's a lot of money to splash out and play a single game. I do have a Wii U and could just get it on there which is what I was maybe going to do, but the good news for me is I'm getting the Switch with Zelda for free for doing a building job for my sister and I still get to make some cash too. If it were not for this I would have happily waited for a Mario Bundle later this holiday season but I still would have definitely bought one.

If it were me personally dropping $650 on this I know I would still be excited but at the same time I'd be having intense internal discussions with myself debating if it's really worth it. However, I love Nintendo's first party games and I always will so to get the system day one for free makes me really really excited for it now. 

I've bought quite a few consoles day one and know all to well that early adopters sometimes misjudge a purchase based on hype. I understand everyone's problems with the switch console, launch lineup, drip feed of future games and issues with price, and I agree with most peoples points, but I'm genuinely excited to get this in my hands. 

If Zelda BotW can be the game that it promises to be, and can live up to the hype and expectations of gamers and game journalists, then is a possibility that this could be the best launch game ever. For me personally it's still Super Mario 64 and I could write a 10,000 word essay proving why but new consoles and new things are always exciting which is fun and I think that's good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Weekend Chat, Switch, Nintendo Switch, launch games, launch, community

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users