Hero of Time

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • PSN:II_SanD_CameL
  • Wii:SW-6107-0369-3801
  • Xbox Live:FreddlePopGameS

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

AdamC you're using current console prices from already well established devices. Go find all the day 1 launch prices and then try and argue it.
In 2 years I'm sure the switch will be competitively priced but this is a launch and a worldwide console launch at that which I'm sure cost millions to plan and execute.

#42 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10706 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

I'm not knocking complaining about prices. If you think something is too expensive then absolutely criticise it.

I'm knocking price comparisons with other markets without considering any factors on how much supporting NZ might be.

If NZ support isn't an issue for you then buy it from Amazon. That option is available to you.
And if next year ot drops to 499 and sales go from abysmal to astounding the Nintendo will learn first hand how much they should have charged.

If they fix all their issues with online it will be worth every extra cent to me, but I am sceptical on that.

#43 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

That makes no sence.. You realise its a New Nintendo console vs old PS4/Xb1 console for the same price in the states right? What makes it different here is what I want to know.

As for launch prices, it was 1.625 x US price at the time. $400*1.625 = $650

Launch $300 nintendo x 1.625 is $480.....

But thats not accounting for Slight exchange rate difference...

Edit, Im not expectcing answers from yas. I just dont understand why you think it shouldnt be the same.

If a New console is the same as an old console in one Country, why should it get a premium chucked on it in another Country?

Edited by AdamC, 15 January 2017 - 06:50 PM.

#44 FreddlePopGameS

FreddlePopGameS

Hero of Time

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

Exactly my point. When a system becomes old it costs less and When a new system releases it always costs more.
Regardless of the switch costing the same price in the states as the other consoles, it is priced that way because of the demand in the US market, competition and general basis that its nintendos 2nd biggest area for profit outside of Japan.
NZ is not an established enough market to warrant a competitive price. They would lose money because there just isn't the same demand. It simply is what it is. I wish it was cheaper but I always knew it would be at least around the $500 mark in NZ and that was when I thought it could be US$199 - $249.

#45 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10706 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:09 PM

Ill have another crack at this with some facts and hypothetical numbers.

Sony hires an office to support NZ.  It costs $1000.  They sell TV's, Stereos, laptops, and Consoles.

Nintendo hires an office to support NZ.  It costs $1000, they sell game consoles.

Sony has a $250 cost to recoup from console sales in NZ.  Nintendo has a $1000 cost to recoup from console sales in NZ.  It costs more for Nintendo to sell you the console as fixed costs need to be recouped.

Now for countries.

It costs $10,000 to support the US who has 318 million potential sales.

It costs $1,000 to support NZ who has 4.5 million potential sales.

Nintendo needs to charge more per person to recoup the costs, even with the costs being higher overseas.  This is due to things getting cheaper as you buy more like a building instead of one floor, as well as as costs vary from nation to nation, like rent, power, server rack space, wages etc.

there are a lot of variables which may explain it.  We are a tiny market, it costs more to sell to us, we pay more to be marketed to.  If you don't like the benefits of being marketed to then buy it from Amazon.

#46 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10706 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

That makes no sence.. You realise its a New Nintendo console vs old PS4/Xb1 console for the same price in the states right? What makes it different here is what I want to know.

As for launch prices, it was 1.625 x US price at the time. $400*1.625 = $650

Launch $300 nintendo x 1.625 is $480.....

But thats not accounting for Slight exchange rate difference...

Edit, Im not expectcing answers from yas. I just dont understand why you think it shouldnt be the same.

If a New console is the same as an old console in one Country, why should it get a premium chucked on it in another Country?

400*1.23 =    492.  We paid $650.

Using your 480.  We are paying $550 (though that original figure may change between now and then) 

According to http://www.exchanger.../USD/30_11_2013in November 2013 the exchange rate was 1.23.  So not a slight exchange rate difference.  I don't think you quite know how much it can fluctuate and how regularly it changes if you assume in 3 years there may be a slight difference in exchange rate.

#47 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

Ok thanks now at least I understand where yas are coming from. I disagree that it warrants that much of a price bump but that's fine. We don't have to agree.

Edit after reading above post.

Ahh I wasnt sayint 1.625 was the exchange rate, I was comparing the markup because he said the markup was better now, compared to launch ps4. Which it isnt. We are paying 1.83 times asmuch. I didn't remember the dollar being so strong then though. Damn we get tucked.

Edited by AdamC, 15 January 2017 - 07:43 PM.

#48 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10706 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

Ok thanks now at least I understand where yas are coming from. I disagree that it warrants that much of a price bump but that's fine. We don't have to agree.

Yea so adding all of the costs of supporting NZ and it may or may not be more. And for a launch price it will be based off what they expect to sell.

They may be ripping us off or they may be making less off NZ Switches. I have no idea how much it costs to sell them here but it may be significant for all we know.

Edit after reading above post.
Ahh I wasnt sayint 1.625 was the exchange rate, I was comparing the markup because he said the markup was better now, compared to launch ps4. Which it isnt. We are paying 1.83 times asmuch. I didn't remember the dollar being so strong then though. Damn we get tucked.

AH right sorry. The jump in exchange rate isn't quite as large but still a significant change. We always get f***ed. It's the problem with being a tiny market and likely won't change unless we increase our population by 10x or sheep become savvy consumers.

#49 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

We always get f***ed. It's the problem with being a tiny market.

!

#50 FreddlePopGameS

FreddlePopGameS

Hero of Time

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:16 PM

I know that once upon a time a company named Monaco Corporation was Nintendo's distributor in Australasia and they were the sole distributor which is why during the N64 days some games could cost as much as $150 for a flippen cartridge in a cardboard box.
The price difference was ridiculous when compared to USA and Japan and Monoco clearly marked up everything for their own profits.
I have no idea how Nintendo's systems and games are distributed now or if it's run through a 3rd party distributor like it was with Monoco but with the $549 price tag there is definitely mark up.
I mean there's clearly mark up prices on all gaming because if not then all our software would cost $80 max for a brand new game.
Australia and New Zealand have always been shafted no matter how strong our dollars get.
The price of digital games in NZ is what really gets me and those prices are clearly decided by Microsoft, Sony and even Nintendo, and that's with no cost to ship, label or package and yet it costs more than a flippen retail copy.
Our gaming market, while always growing, is simply not financially dependable enough as it is in other overseas markets.
More consumers = more products sold = more revenue = more market flexibility = more aggressively priced products.

#51 siamese

siamese

siamesedreams

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 1623 posts
  • PSN:siamesedreams

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

I'll end up getting one at some point, but not until theres a decent games library and the console price is lower.  Will probably just get Zelda on Wii U if I can't wait for the switch to drop in price.

Its too expensive for not even including a game with the console.  They seem to love shooting themselves in the foot.  Investors surely must be against this? 

#52 whatsupmyninja

whatsupmyninja
  • PSN:SizeNZ

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

Anyone else preordered? I'm picking up a Neon Switch and Zelda. Was planning on a pro controller, but will see how the joycon dock goes first. Getting pretty amped with just over a month to go!

#53 FreddlePopGameS

FreddlePopGameS

Hero of Time

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

Anyone else preordered? I'm picking up a Neon Switch and Zelda. Was planning on a pro controller, but will see how the joycon dock goes first. Getting pretty amped with just over a month to go!

I've pre-ordered that Neon Switch too. I'm kinda waiting to see too when in come to peripherals. I ordered Zelda too and may pick up bomberman but Zelda will tie me over for a month or two. 

#54 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

Ill be waiting for Xenoblade again I think. Its the only reason I got a U lol. If it gets good 3rd PT support sooner Ill get it, as I like the concept, but not If I need to buy my main games for PS4 anyway. (GTA, Red Dead, Mass Effect, etc)

#55 Spidey

Spidey

My Spidey Sense is Tiggling.

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Bronze VIP

• Tester
  • 586 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

Pre-ordered with Neon, Zelda, and hoping like hell snipperclips follows not too soon after.

Hugely excited about it! 

Also for the people that are arguing the cost compared to Australia, and the states, factor in that we have slight difference in GST when it enters our borders. In the US each State has sales tax added on top, in Australia $470 + 5% tax (difference between NZ 15% and AU 10%) gives you roughly $495 AUD, then do your currency conversion and its $535 NZD. And before you say, well 495 AUD in NZD when I searched on google = $515, please find me a bank that will do currency conversation at the Google rate.

The price is more reasonable than you think.

#56 siamese

siamese

siamesedreams

• Members
  • 1623 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

Pre-ordered with Neon, Zelda, and hoping like hell snipperclips follows not too soon after.

Hugely excited about it! 

Also for the people that are arguing the cost compared to Australia, and the states, factor in that we have slight difference in GST when it enters our borders. In the US each State has sales tax added on top, in Australia $470 + 5% tax (difference between NZ 15% and AU 10%) gives you roughly $495 AUD, then do your currency conversion and its $535 NZD. And before you say, well 495 AUD in NZD when I searched on google = $515, please find me a bank that will do currency conversation at the Google rate.

The price is more reasonable than you think.

I'm more complaining that there is no packaged game with it, also not much worth picking up yet.

I got my Wii U Pro for about $350 with Nintendoland and New Super Mario Bros included a few months before Super Mario 3D World came out.  

My library consists of:

Nintendoland

New Super Mario Bros

Super Mario 3D World

Mario Kart 8

Yoshis Woolly World

Legend of Zelda Windwaker

and thats it.   I was interested in Splatoon, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Captain Toads Treasure Tracker but I never caught them on sale.  

I'm definitely keen on a switch for the first party Nintendo offerings, but I'll definitely be waiting until there is more on offer.  Really not stoked on the pay for multiplayer either.  Mario Kart is only fun for me online as its too easy against the AI.

Edited by siamese, 27 January 2017 - 07:23 AM.

#57 czk51

czk51
  • PSN:cheradenineZ

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

Honestly if anything it's got me interested in picking up a cheap Wii U. I'm certainly not preordering but will keep my options open between a second hand wii u for Zelda or grabbing a switch later in the year on sale. 

#58 whatsupmyninja

whatsupmyninja

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

Getting a cheap WiiU (that $150 EB sale sounded nuts) would be the more financially sound idea, but the appeal for the shiny and new is too much for me this time round. I'm ready for some Nintendo goodness after close to a decade away (and now in HD! And no mandatory motion controls!). 

#59 siamese

siamese

siamesedreams

• Members
  • 1623 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:25 AM

Getting a cheap WiiU (that $150 EB sale sounded nuts) would be the more financially sound idea, but the appeal for the shiny and new is too much for me this time round. I'm ready for some Nintendo goodness after close to a decade away (and now in HD! And no mandatory motion controls!). 

I'd recommend playing Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 if you have been away that long.  Epic games.  Shame they aren't HD but until an HD remake is done on them its the best you'll get.

#60 whatsupmyninja

whatsupmyninja

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:02 AM

Good recommendations, cheers. I do have Super Mario Galaxy, and have tried revisiting it recently. The music is so good. However, I’m not graphics obsessed, but having been used to PS4 games recently, the visual fuzziness of Galaxy on my tv isn’t too enjoyable (though the art style is obviously amazing). I also just don’t enjoy the Wiimote/nunchuck controls. Really looking forward to another sandbox-style, classicly-controlled, HD Mario with Odyssey, as Super Mario 64 is possibly my favourite game ever.

Edited by whatsupmyninja, 27 January 2017 - 08:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users