Nintendo Switch Presentation 13 Jan 5PM NZT

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

I think the price issue is $300 being converted to $550. $500 would be more acceptable I think.
I mean it's $100 cheaper in the states, so it should clearly be more than $100 cheaper here in relation to PS4 etc

Edited by AdamC, 14 January 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#22 CloudAxel16

CloudAxel16
  • Steam ID:Cloudaxel16
  • PSN:Krish123
  • Xbox Live:Cloudaxel16

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

I think the price issue is $300 being converted to $550. $500 would be more acceptable I think.
I mean it's $100 cheaper in the states, so it should clearly be more than $100 cheaper here in relation to PS4 etc

PS4 Slim US RRP is $300 and RRP for NZ is $489 

Nintendo Switch is also $470 in Australia. Which is around $500 for NZ. 

So I totally agree, why isn't it $500? We'll probably get the exact same box as Australia. 

Also the accessories seem to be quite expensive. $80 US for the Joy-Con controllers.

#23 Jenesyde

Jenesyde
  • Xbox Live:Jenesyde

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

I was pretty pumped for this, but that launch lineup is a joke. Four games on release, and only one of them worth buying.

Think I'll wait a while now.

#24 czk51

czk51
  • PSN:cheradenineZ

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

Happy to stick to my 3ds. By March 3 I'll still be playing zelda ocarina of time.

#25 Jonathan-OverWorld

Jonathan-OverWorld
  • Steam ID:link_nz
  • PSN:LinkNZ
  • Wii:SW-4823-5180-3430 (Switch)
  • Xbox Live:Linkx NZ

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

Too expensive for what it offers here in NZ, I can't see it doing well at all. Which is a damn shame, it annoys me cause Zelda looks to be fricking amazing and should be played by everyone! I guess there is still the Wii U version for those that aren't getting a Switch.

Right now it doesn't feel like the next Nintendo handheld, it just feels like the next Nintendo console that you can also take around with you. Not what I was expecting, I was hoping for an all-in-one Nintendo future.

It honestly feels right now like they're still planning to release a 3DS successor as well, splitting the development divisions again which makes NO SENSE.

Edited by Jonathan-OverWorld, 14 January 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#26 Ubercuber

Ubercuber

Runner up Best Ubercuber

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4068 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

The logo looks like someone with a lazy eye. I can't unsee it anymore.

#27 Koopa18

Koopa18
  • PSN:galaxiid
  • Wii:galaxiid (nintendo network id)
  • Xbox Live:gravitygrace

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

Totally unprecedented move to not make the price a straight conversion from USD. Every other product does! Outrageous.

#28 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10706 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

The logo looks like someone with a lazy eye. I can't unsee it anymore.

Why did you do that to me? I thought it was alright before, now that's all I see.

#29 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10706 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

Obviously I'd prefer it to be cheaper so more money for games but it seems about right for me.

My concern is if it's a tablet with a tablets battery then that may be porked in a couple years like nearly every tablet I've seen ever.

If you only get 2 years out of it then 550 is steep. If you get 4+ it seems reasonable to me.

Comparing to US I kinda get but comparing to Aus is dumb IMO. Exchange rates vary, A LOT. If you saved $500 because that's the price, and thanks to exchange rates it bumps to $620 there would be a lot of complaining. Then if a month after the 620 purchase it dropped to 480 there would be more b*tching.

Plus if the prices changed that much most retailers would jack the prices up a little to protect themselves financially so it would cost a little more.

We always want more for less, the price is what it is, buy it or wait 12 months and get it cheaper with games.

I hope I can afford to get one as I am SO intrigued.

#30 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

We always want more for less, the price is what it is, buy it or wait 12 months and get it cheaper with games.

If everybody had that attitude the Xbox would still be online only with all its DRM. There is nothing wrong with people querying where an additionaly $70ish gets bumped onto the price after allowing for tax. Expecially when compared to the Yen its even more than that.

Zelda does look really good though, but I think I'll be waiting for a Xenoblade bundle. And then it depends on how 3rd pt support goes too maybe.

#31 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10706 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

If everybody had that attitude the Xbox would still be online only with all its DRM. There is nothing wrong with people querying where an additionaly $70ish gets bumped onto the price after allowing for tax. Expecially when compared to the Yen its even more than that.

Zelda does look really good though, but I think I'll be waiting for a Xenoblade bundle. And then it depends on how 3rd pt support goes too maybe.

Except I'm literally talking about using the exchange rate as a guide for what things cost in NZD.

Did the DRM change from country to country in relation to how DRM works in that country? And did it result in everyone just adopting the US's one?

How have you broken the pricing down?
What are the infrastructure costs in NZ and have you confirmed its the same per capita costs as the US and Aus? Because Nintendo will need to recoup that cost.

How does the price discrepancy compare to other products available in those countries?
Up the top, near the middle or at the bottom?
Sources please.

What's the prices of living in comparison to the income like?
I.e. Who has the most disposable income?

What are all the prices including taxes? I.e. Could some people in the US pay more than us based on county and state tax?

Would you be happy with the console prices changing weekly based on the exchange rate?
I.e. Would you prefer to pay 700 for a switch if it was based on exchange rates instead of 550 in NZ based on the NZ market?

I personally think Nintendo basing a price on the market instead of the exchange rate makes total sense, isn't anti-consumer at all like DRM.

#32 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

Did you read cloud axels post? Specifically the part where PS4 price is $300 there and only $489 here.
Is it that unreasonable to think the switch should be coming in around the same price?

#33 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10706 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

Did you read cloud axels post? Specifically the part where PS4 price is $300 there and only $489 here.
Is it that unreasonable to think the switch should be coming in around the same price?

You mean the one where he uses the second to most recent ps4 so not Apples to Apples and doesn't touch on any of the variables I have asked about.

What are Sony's NZ infrastructure costs and Nintendos expected NZ infrastructure costs? How does that work out to expected units sold?

These are all factors for a regions pricing which I hope you've accounted for.

Is it safe to assume that from avoiding the question that you wouldn't want to to pay more based on the exchange rate when it's bad for us? Just when it works in our favour?

#34 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

Sorry I didnt bother answering your question about paying direct exchange rate price because I thought it was obvious... I would much rather pay that for games/consoles. There is a reason people make US accounts to buy games. In almost all circumstances its cheaper barring sales.

Re- second to most recent ps4 so not Apples to Apples

Its a $300 Console in america with a RRP of $489 in NZ. The Nintendo is a $300 Console in america and EB is saying its $550 in nz. (Not sure if thats from Nintendo or just EB) How is that not apples to apples. One being a newer model doesnt justify a price difference here when there is not in america.

And if its Infrastructure costs as you are asking about, then maybe they should look into that when both Microsoft and Sony seem to be on a better competitive footing?

Do you honestly believe the price difference to be justified? If so why?

#35 FreddlePopGameS

FreddlePopGameS

Hero of Time

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • PSN:II_SanD_CameL
  • Wii:SW-6107-0369-3801
  • Xbox Live:FreddlePopGameS

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

I personally have no problem with the price and I think it's pretty damn good for what you're getting in the box granted a packaged game would have made it more appealing.

Do I wish it was cheaper? absolutely, but I can tell Nintendo did their best to find the middle ground when determining it's power and affordability.

If it was to be as powerful as a PS4 then there is no denying it would be a bloody impressive piece of tech, but it would cost it too and people would still complain due to how insatiable we are and are never satisfied..

All I know is that it is a very capable console for what it is and what it can do and it will have amazing games whether with or without 3rd party support. (I'm hoping with 3rd party support)

I did a little review of how I saw the conference and read into it here: 

Despite the poor conference I feel positive about the console and think it's pretty nifty piece of tech and I'm betting this will be big in Japan and will slowly grow in the west with more updates as the year goes on.

I'm also predicting we will get a true Metroid game and that it will be running on Unreal Engine 4 and may even get a glimpse of this at E3 this year. (Retro Studios a couple years back hired some graphics engineers who specialize using Unreal Engine 4)

I feel because a lot of us grew up in the late 80's/90's and had a Nintendo console and loved it we feel the need to criticize Nintendo more because of the amazing feels their games and consoles gave us in our younger years. I understand that and feel it sometimes too but I would hate a gaming landscape without Nintendo and for Nintendo to try be anything else but Nintendo. They're weird and sometimes crazy but they occasionally pull of amazing things. I hope this will be one of them.

Edited by FreddlePopGameS, 15 January 2017 - 04:26 PM.

#36 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

Dont get me wrong, I think the $300 US price is great. I just dont like how EB have it advertised at almost double that here.

#37 FreddlePopGameS

FreddlePopGameS

Hero of Time

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • PSN:II_SanD_CameL
  • Wii:SW-6107-0369-3801
  • Xbox Live:FreddlePopGameS

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

Dont get me wrong, I think the $300 US price is great. I just dont like how EB have it advertised at almost double that here.

Sony's consoles have always been the most overpriced gaming consoles in NZ but due to NZ's fanboyism with PlayStation no one hardly bats an eyelid.

I suppose they just get too hyped for a new Killzone and Ridgeracer to notice.

I know exactly where you're coming from when comparing prices to other countries but there is sooooo much more that goes into determining a price other than simple exchange rates. If NZ loved Nintendo and a huge percentage of money spent on gaming was Nintendo related then the price would be cheaper. Shipping, marketing, Aus/NZ box art etc all come into it and Nintendo has already said it would not sell at a loss. A lot of things determine price but it's just that AUS and NZ are simply not a big market for them and a cheaper price means less for them and the retailers they deal through hence the price for Aus and NZ.

#38 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

Xbox 1s $300 US $499 NZ

PS4 Slim? $300 US $489 NZ

Nintendo $300 US $550 NZ

Its not about exchange rates or what country does what, considering all of them need diff box art etc. Don't forget those US prices already include markup and profit, packaging costs.

I can understand why people dont like the NZ price. If the 2 other companies can get it here for that, whats nintendo doing wrong/inneffeciently? Or is it just straight profit markup for the hell of it. I am curious to know.

Edited by AdamC, 15 January 2017 - 05:58 PM.

#39 whatsupmyninja

whatsupmyninja
  • PSN:SizeNZ

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

Does anyone know whether we're likely to be able to create a US account and buy games digitally via Amazon to play on our NZ accounts? I've saved a lot of money doing this on PS4 and would love to do the same for Switch - will make that NZ console price hurt less.

Edited by whatsupmyninja, 15 January 2017 - 06:45 PM.

#40 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10706 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Sorry I didnt bother answering your question about paying direct exchange rate price because I thought it was obvious... I would much rather pay that for games/consoles. There is a reason people make US accounts to buy games. In almost all circumstances its cheaper barring sales.

So if the economy swings the other way you'd be happy paying 600? And be chuffed that it's 50 bucks more? Because many others would be b*tching.

Why don't you buy it from the US? Or Australia? You have those options and it sounds like it would suit you best.

Re- second to most recent ps4 so not Apples to Apples
Its a $300 Console in america with a RRP of $489 in NZ. The Nintendo is a $300 Console in america and EB is saying its $550 in nz. (Not sure if thats from Nintendo or just EB) How is that not apples to apples. One being a newer model doesnt justify a price difference here when there is not in america.

Because the ps4 slim is the lower powered of the 2 options and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is taking a hit on prices in areas knowing there are the two options available and just moving units depending on the regions sales, market patterns etc.

With the PS4 being out for years there is a lot of market dictations on price.

And if its Infrastructure costs as you are asking about, then maybe they should look into that when both Microsoft and Sony seem to be on a better competitive footing?
Do you honestly believe the price difference to be justified? If so why?

You see Microsoft and Sony have quite a selection of products in NZ, and have had so for longer than they have had consoles here.

Take the person who fills in paperwork behind the scenes.

They hire an office, a desk, a pc, a PO box etc.

Now let's say Sony starts with TV's and Stereos and those costs are in place. They then sell a gaming console, and have to hire another person for the increase in workload, hire a pc, maybe a desk, or 2 desks between 3 will work, but they already have office space.

The cost for Nintendo almost completely (if not completely) to operate out of NZ needs to be paid for by console and game sales meaning they have more NZ costs to cover.

Microsoft is in an interesting situation where they have a cloud solutions platform available to NZ called Azure. Naturally this is going to make significant savings for tech infrastructure that companies like Sony and Nintendo don't have.

Nintendo need to cover all their NZ costs from game sales and it's not surprising it's going to be more.

I'm not saying I have that info so I don't know if it's justified or not. If you are saying it isn't justified then I'm asking you for that info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users