The Weekend Chat: Gaming Habits

The Weekend Chat. Weekend Chat gaming community have your say

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NZGamer

NZGamer

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

10857-standout.jpg

We’ve talked about what games you’ve managed to cross off your backlog as we enter 2017 – which, by all accounts isn’t as many games as some of you would like.

But as people make (and break) resolutions as a New Year rolls out, does any of that mentality extend to your gaming habits? This week, we ask you:

What are some gaming habits you want to break, change, or give up as 2017 progresses?

Maybe playing more support roles in MOBAs or team-based shooters? Testing the waters with more indie games? Giving up on rage quitting?

Let us know in the comments on NZGamer.com, or in the thread below!

#2 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10985 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

I would like to insert another 24 hours in every day so I can game more, as most of the current 24 are filled with adult stuff like work and chores.

#3 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 2003 posts
  • Steam ID:iludez
  • PSN:iludez
  • Xbox Live:iludez

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

What drunk said!

#4 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• Members
  • 3580 posts
  • PSN:Dvst8u

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

I also concur

#5 Metdevil

Metdevil
  • PSN:metdevil678

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

I have a couple of habits I'm trying to break this year. First, I want to mix up the games I play, but I also want to put considerable time into them. I've tried this before and went through a phase of just playing any game for the sake of it, but I rarely played more than a few hours of them.

Second, I need to stop drinking while I play. The three or so cans I can go through each night of gaming adds up really fast. I have to go back to only drinking socially. Getting drunk on my own in the dark with Cindy from FFXV as my only company won't help my image :P

#6 NZBuc

NZBuc
  • Xbox Live:NZ Buc

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

I'm going to stop doing all campaigns on hard, so I can finish them quicker and be able to play more of my collection

#7 BigC

BigC
  • PSN:NZBigC

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

I'm going to stop doing all campaigns on hard, so I can finish them quicker and be able to play more of my collection

You're not really playing a game if it isn't on the hardest difficulty... I hate people who say stuff like this. I play on easy/medium difficulty all the time to enjoy the story and finish the game quicker.

I hope I will stop buying games that go on sale as I know I will end up not playing 80% of them.

#8 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• Members
  • 4417 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:44 AM

Re difficulty it depends on the game really, and what difference it makes.

If like Civilization or Age of Empires, harder means that the AI cheats quite hardcore, then no, I don't think it is necessary, or often even fun, to play hardest. In both of these cases it is also quite blatantly the case to cover up poor AI programming, as has been shown with the improvements in AoE2 HD on steam, and as is far too obvious and quite disgraceful in Civ VI.

By contrast, if it means that the enemy builds up quicker but at least seemingly without cheating, and uses better tactics in combat, à la StarCraft II, then I think it is good as a challenge, to a point. At least now there are videos of people completing such difficulties, and in that sort of game it usually isn't too hard to perform similarly - the campaigns don't require -that- high APM. My favourite example of that was learning to finish the last Wings of Liberty mission on Brutal, the no air version, by just building 50 or so siege tanks. Good times.

If like in older FPS games harder means tougher enemies but no additional ammo or health, then I think that the easier difficulties are there for us to learn the maps, and where secrets and such are, so that harder difficulties are possible and even fun. Marathon is my prime example; I've been doing yet another playthrough on Total Carnage and very much realising that I only really get through it because I know about all the secret ammo caches, weapons, and powerups along the way. Yes there are people that can do the whole thing with the magnum, or even fists only, but one of those I am not. But I like that design, because it increases replay value significantly, and you really become a student of the game.

By contrast if it means mainly that enemies are far more alert, better at aiming, and better at hiding, and tend to snipe you before you can even see them, à la Halo, then no, I don't think it is necessary or fun to play hardest. Sure people can, and I would like to be able to, but apart from anything else, I'm too old for this sh*t :)

#9 Mafivee

Mafivee

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

As for difficulty, it depends on the game

I like to play on easy because I find it more fun. I game to have fun, not to rage. Playing on easy allows me to take in more of the story and atmosphere rather than wondering when I'm gonna die. I also like it as it means I can get through and enjoy the game quicker (that allows me to play more/different games) without frustratingly grinding through a level or something learning and strategising all for that ego boost to prove how good I am, then brag to everyone about it.

As for sports games like Madden or NBA 2K, I like to play on the hardest or one notch below hardest as it provides a more realistic experience due to me preferring simball play.

Re difficulty it depends on the game really, and what difference it makes.

If like Civilization or Age of Empires, harder means that the AI cheats quite hardcore, then no, I don't think it is necessary, or often even fun, to play hardest. In both of these cases it is also quite blatantly the case to cover up poor AI programming, as has been shown with the improvements in AoE2 HD on steam, and as is far too obvious and quite disgraceful in Civ VI.

By contrast, if it means that the enemy builds up quicker but at least seemingly without cheating, and uses better tactics in combat, à la StarCraft II, then I think it is good as a challenge, to a point. At least now there are videos of people completing such difficulties, and in that sort of game it usually isn't too hard to perform similarly - the campaigns don't require -that- high APM. My favourite example of that was learning to finish the last Wings of Liberty mission on Brutal, the no air version, by just building 50 or so siege tanks. Good times.

AoE2/AoE2 HD difficulty always got me. One difficulty was too easy and the difficulty above that was too hard. I found that hard/hardest was doable with say a treaty that gave me a chance to set up first as I am rather slow to gather everything and by the time I'm ready the AI had already amassed a sizeable force and was ready to attack or attacking well before that. If given 60-90 minutes to prepare, I found the harder difficulties a good quality battle that could go either way for hours.

Edited by Mafivee, 11 January 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#10 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• Members
  • 4417 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

Right. I played a whole lot when AoE2 first came out and got to ~18 minute Castle Age times, which is usually enough for Hard; hardest requires more defensive play than I can usually be bothered with.

Edit: Having said that, when it first came out, some of the campaign scenarios were crazy difficult and required hours of defensive play - I got the clock up to over 8 hours on the second Saladin mission for instance, at 2x speed, and killed more than 4,000 units. Somewhere along the line that changed, plus I got better, but still wouldn't really bother with the campaign missions on hard.

Another example is WarCraft III, where for campaign play the options were "normal" and "hard". Hard meant you would only get through by the skin of your teeth at best, especially on the insane "survive x minutes" missions, which I wish they had never come up with the idea of. One of them I only completed by distracting the enemies with one fast unit for the last two minutes, and after a few loads that worked lol. The very last mission in Reign of Chaos I never finished on hard, and I think I gave up on TFT after about 4 missions - that hard was too hard. The WC3 AI was also way too hard in skirmish play, even when they eventually added 'easy', it wasn't always comfortable.

I also forgot one really obvious but slightly different area of difficulty: racing games! There I don't bother going manual - not driving IRL I don't have a feel for gearing at all, so it just makes it easier to go automatic. As for difficulty, it really depends. I was getting it up to Highly Skilled on FM6 but couldn't quite hack Expert, even with my tendency to use rewind plenty. It required 3rd placing at least in every race for "progression" and was enough of a grind without making that any harder for myself, but that is clearly why I perform much worse online :D

In Horizon I typically rock Above Average, but with the objectives on Blizzard Mountain I brought it back lower just to make things easier - yet again rushed through things in that game, but with absolutely zero motivation to try for the objectives again, it isn't so important. It doesn't even tell you what the objectives are once you've achieved them - that was all for the achievements and little else TBH.

Edited by mvon007, 11 January 2017 - 03:45 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Weekend Chat., Weekend Chat, gaming, community, have your say

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users