The Weekend Chat: The Year in Review

The Weekend Chat Weekend Chat 2016 year

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NZGamer

NZGamer

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

10852-standout.jpg

We saw some experimental approaches to games this year. The likes of Hitman tried out the episodic model, MOBAs like League of Legends and DOTA saw significant changes to their core systems, and titles like Battlefield 1 took the action to a challenging time-era.

As we make our way into 2017, we ask you:

What would you like to see more or less of in 2017?

Games with broader, more inclusive casts of characters? Maybe fewer micro-transactions in full-priced retail releases?

Let us know in the comments on NZGamer.com, or in the thread below!

#2 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

I think this year has been amazing for gaming, and its only going to get better. I would however love to see companies get there $#@! togethere and sort out getting a game fixed befor its launched. Day 1 patches, etc, are getting out of controll. Hell SE released a game where the story is not even finished... And I only buy FF for the damn story! Still really enjoying it, but still I dont know if I should carry on, or wait!

#3 SpawnSeekSlay

SpawnSeekSlay

Filthy Casual Console Peasant

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1407 posts
  • Steam ID:SpawnSeekSlay
  • PSN:SpawnSeekSlay

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

More honest marketing - in the likes of No Man's Sky being the obvious one.  I think thats why I prefer the Bethesda softworks style of just announcing it within 6 months of it releasing and showing it with ingame powered cutscenes and gameplay. Sean Murray and Hello Games dig themselves deeper and deeper into a hole with the early purpose built trailers and discussed features that they couldnt deliver on.

Less Micro-transactions for sure.

Less expensive Season Passes...  

Less buggy released games ..

Because of all of the above Im not pe-ordering and simply waiting for a GOTY version or major discount sale to grab it. That way you get the season pass built in or can by the game and SP still cheaper than if you bought day 1, and the servers and bugs are usually patched and improved so you get a more solid version.

#4 czk51

czk51
  • PSN:cheradenineZ

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

Less toxic, entitled gaming community. YouTube comments section I'm looking at you.

Gaming-wise I'm looking forward to sequels like Destiny 2 and also improvements and dlc for existing games such as The Division, Battleborn, FFXV (co-op monster hunting let's go)

Really interested to see if PSVR takes off as well. I was on the fence but at the moment I'm not seeing the titles to warrant purchase.

Edited by czk51, 23 December 2016 - 05:31 PM.

#5 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10985 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:05 PM

More: games
Less: not games

#6 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5349 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:08 PM

More working, complete, well built games, that's all I ask! If there were quarter as many games but just a few really good, polished ones I'd be happy. With no microtransactions.

I'm still playing old games though so whatever.

#7 atipuss

atipuss
  • Steam ID:atimewmew
  • PSN:atipuss
  • Xbox Live:atipuss

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:42 AM

2016 is great (been amazing since 2013 for me) and 2017 looks to be awesome too!! :D yayyy for games

#8 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 2003 posts
  • Steam ID:iludez
  • PSN:iludez
  • Xbox Live:iludez

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:37 AM

2016 has been a pretty stellar year for gaming, though i have only played a few i have watched a bunch. Would be cool too see some new proper survival games

#9 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

Oh the pay more to get your game earlier crap needs to go too. Unless it's a free to play game like never winter. Games like forza or any full price game etc it's just dirty money grubbing imo.

#10 iludez

iludez

Just the best

• Members
  • 2003 posts
  • Steam ID:iludez
  • PSN:iludez
  • Xbox Live:iludez

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

Would love to see more companies follow suit of how the witcher devs apply their dlcs etc, bloody great they did that big expansion free

#11 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• Members
  • 4417 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:21 PM

Yep not very impressed with this year, keep realising I've hardly played any of its titles, and really didn't intend to much, and the preorder lists for 2017 have absolutely nothing of interest. Clearly there will be another forza, and while that is indeed now a sheer cash cow that should just be a platform that grows rather than continued full price releases, I'm sure I will keep suckling at that cow, even after the disappointing Horizon 3, but can't really imagine anything else in the AAAs taking my fancy, and at least won't be sucked in by the Forza early access packs again either.

#12 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5349 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:47 PM

Yep not very impressed with this year, keep realising I've hardly played any of its titles, and really didn't intend to much, and the preorder lists for 2017 have absolutely nothing of interest. Clearly there will be another forza, and while that is indeed now a sheer cash cow that should just be a platform that grows rather than continued full price releases, I'm sure I will keep suckling at that cow, even after the disappointing Horizon 3, but can't really imagine anything else in the AAAs taking my fancy, and at least won't be sucked in by the Forza early access packs again either.

Nah Forza went well downhill from FM3 onwards. Let it go, there's no point buying the next ones when you know they'll be the same disappointment.

That's another thing: more new and interesting games. Less franchise shovelware plz.

#13 BigC

BigC
  • PSN:NZBigC

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

2016 - shitty ps+ games
2017 - better ps+ games

#14 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

Armchair Developer

• Members
  • 1890 posts
  • Xbox Live:ChieftaiNZ

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

2017 is the 10th Anniversary of Halo 3 Anniversary.

All I want is Halo 3 Anniversary.

plz, i want classic halo for once.

#15 Mafivee

Mafivee

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

I know I won't be getting the next Forza Motorsport. Have hardly played FM6 enough to justify the next one. Not much improves from title to title except a few shiny visuals, 1 or 2 new(ish) tracks, a few new(ish) cars and one hell of a grind. I'll just stick with the more enjoyable Horizon every 2 years.

Edit: I'm more into the MP side of Forza, but that has become stale and meh.

Edited by Mafivee, 25 December 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#16 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5349 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:00 AM

I was with you until Horizon. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Weekend Chat, Weekend Chat, 2016, year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users