The Weekend Chat: Sales, Sales, Sales

The Weekend Chat Weekend Chat community sales steam PSN Xbox Live Black Friday

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NZGamer

NZGamer

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:00 PM

10759-standout.jpg

Everyone loves a good bargain. Whether or not you have any disposable income, saving money is always great. This week marked the start of substantial sales on games, with Steam, Sony, and Microsoft all joining in on the Black Friday fun.

While sales are good for your wallet, they might not be good for your backlog. Your library grows, with more-and-more titles added to your ever-expanding list of things you’ll rarely find time to play. So this week we ask you:

Do sales hurt the way we approach playing games?

Does having a breadth of things to play dilute the enjoyment you could have by playing one game? Do you abstain from sales because of these concerns, or do you dive in?

Let us know in the comments below!

Let us know in the comments on NZGamer.com, or in the thread below!

#2 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4416 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:38 PM

I bit in Steam sales several years ago - had plans to play Borderlands 2 with a friend, as well as Dawn of War 2 and other such things that were heavily discounted from time to time. We played each of those together ... once lol. And I couldn't really get into either, but then didn't feel at all bad about leaving them to rest.

And so it goes for various other things on Steam ... but then I just stopped even looking, and ended up on Xbox mainly. Sales are way smaller scale and less frequent, but there are also far fewer games I really have any interest in, so it all evens out. It helps having no attachment to franchises and such, definitely. But I do feel that 2017 is going to be a great opportunity for a lot of people to catch up on the backlog, as there is very little of note coming down the line. This could be a very good thing for the industry.

As for how we play games, I think the advent of achievements did a lot more damage to how we play games than do sales. They make people play in specific ways, and make them think they've finished with games much sooner than would have been the case ... unless they have really long-winded ones, but that seems to be going out of style.

#3 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10980 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:49 PM

While sales are good for your wallet

HA good for the wallet. Tell that to my partner, preferably before I get home so I don't get in trouble for buying dishonoured 2, mgs5, gears 4 and Virginia.

#4 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5348 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:28 PM

Nah they're great. I rarely buy a game that isn't on sale. When the sales appear I look at my watchlist and stock up on a few games to last me until the next sale.

And.... yeh there are quite a few I haven't played yet >_> But I have the option to play them when I want to so it's all good.

#5 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5348 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:31 PM

Oh right so to answer the question: no. Dev studios spamming game franchises dilutes the enjoyment. I aim for games which I expect to get 100+ hours out of, or just super cheap casual games to pass the time with something new.

#6 polarbear

polarbear
  • PSN:Just ask!

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:56 PM

I bit in the black friday sales this year. I think it depends on your backlog and why you are buying the game. Regardless of price, you shouldnt buy games you wont want to play. Probably couldnt stress that more. Whats a $10-40 saving if you play the game a couple of times and don't enjoy it. I'd much rather spend $100 full price and play the sh*t out of a game.

Same goes with clothes. You've probably got heaps in the wardrobe you bought but dont wear, just cause the price was good. 

#7 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:50 AM

Same goes with clothes. You've probably got heaps in the wardrobe you bought but dont wear, just cause the price was good. 

Tell that to the wife! lol.

But yea, Sales to me are a great chance to try that game you wouldnt pay full price for. Some times it works out, I spent $400 on Wii U Xenoblade bundle down from $600, and damn I spent over 150 hours so far and dont see that slowing down any time soon. Sales gave me an amazing game! (Still expensive considering Wii U Stigma though)

#8 Mafivee

Mafivee

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:00 AM

These days I only buy a few games a year that I'm really interested in and rarely buy anything else even when on sale as I'll get to it when I get to it. I used to snap up the deals all the time years ago and that's how my backlogs got out of control, but with priorities now, I'm more reserved

#9 atipuss

atipuss
  • Steam ID:atimewmew
  • PSN:atipuss
  • Xbox Live:atipuss

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:08 AM

Usually just buy games when I want to play it so don't mind that skyrim is half price now.. Supporting Bethesda!! :D same with bf1 and tf2..

#10 dontboszit

dontboszit

Sleeper

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Gaming Night Host
  • 919 posts
  • Steam ID:dontboszit
  • PSN:DontBoszit
  • Xbox Live:Dont Bosz it

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

its great its like 

"LOOK AT ALL THESE GAMES THAT ARE ON SALE.... to bad i got no money to buy them"

but when i do buy some they usually end up on my back burner  :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:

#11 SkylineObsession

SkylineObsession

Expert daydreamer

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • Steam ID:mustang-man
  • PSN:SkylineObsession
  • Xbox Live:Mangosaurus

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:57 AM

Yeah because i've gotten so many good deals on PS Store etc over the past year or more i find that i now don't like paying over $30 for any PS or Xbox game even if its a big one (picked up Mad Max for $25 the other week on Mighty Ape).

Exclusions being franchises i'm very familiar with (Forza Horizon 3, Gran Turismo, GTA etc).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Weekend Chat, Weekend Chat, community, sales, steam, PSN, Xbox Live, Black Friday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users