#2 Syn-Ryn

Syn-Ryn

Scrublord

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• 8287 posts
  • Steam ID:steamcommunity.com/id/MADSUPERVILLAIN
  • Xbox Live:Blale

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

Some pretty questionable decisions, no non-stock cooling on any rig less than 2.8 grand?

I quickly pricespy'd an equivalent machine to their $2.2k Razorback, came out at $1850, including OS. Definitely room to make improvements for the same price, even if you have to pay a PC shop to build it for you.

#3 Outlaw213

Outlaw213

Ghost of Sparta

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • Steam ID:Outlaw213
  • PSN:Outlaw213

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:57 PM

I think it'll work out cheaper to pick the parts yourself and then have the PC Shop build it for you, I'd recommend Computer Lounge

#4 JDogg

JDogg

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4863 posts
  • PSN:JorDogg

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:22 PM

+1 comments above, I compared the $2k version and I didn't rate it above mine which was about that price. Not great looking too if you ask me, a bit tacky but that's just a personal preference.

#5 Mongrel_Rob

Mongrel_Rob

Riding eternal, shiny and gilded

• 4141 posts
  • Xbox Live:Aviatora

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:25 PM

How about the rigs at PB Tech? They've recently opened  branch in Christchurch, and I was thinking of eventually buying a new PC there.

#6 Syn-Ryn

Syn-Ryn

Scrublord

• 8287 posts
  • Steam ID:steamcommunity.com/id/MADSUPERVILLAIN
  • Xbox Live:Blale

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:45 PM

How about the rigs at PB Tech? They've recently opened  branch in Christchurch, and I was thinking of eventually buying a new PC there.

Not that I've looked at their rigs, but getting PB to build you a machine to your specifications is probably the way to go.

#7 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

Not that I've looked at their rigs, but getting PB to build you a machine to your specifications is probably the way to go.

I did this. They were great. I would recommend this. 

#8 Eddie_Boy

Eddie_Boy
  • Steam ID:Eddie Boy
  • PSN:Mr__Robo

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:11 PM

Check out trade me too definitely find better value there. That's where I got mine, worked out cheaper than I could find sourcing the parts and building it myself

#9 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

ok guys thanks for the input Ill definately  check out PB and Computer Lounge.

#10 tuftsdude

tuftsdude
  • Steam ID:Tuftsdude
  • PSN:Tuftsdude
  • Xbox Live:Achedmars64

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:35 PM

How about the rigs at PB Tech? They've recently opened branch in Christchurch, and I was thinking of eventually buying a new PC there.

I did this. They were great. I would recommend this.
This. I bought all my parts from PB Tech but put everything together at home. PB Tech have good prices and there’s always room to bargain. My Findian best friend at the time said “leave the bargaining to me”, managed to knock of $150 I think ;)

#11 JDogg

JDogg

[NZGR]

• Members
  • 4863 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:11 PM

Yep same here, brought all parts through PB then put it together myself but I hear they have good rates to put it together for you too.

#12 SpawnSeekSlay

SpawnSeekSlay

Filthy Casual Console Peasant

• Members
  • 1393 posts
  • Steam ID:SpawnSeekSlay
  • PSN:SpawnSeekSlay

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

Talking about PB Tech - obviously they have sales on as much as Kathmandu, but when have people found to be the best time or best sales they have to buy parts or a rig.

Black Friday sale is coming up and I cant remember if I told myself to wait for the Black Friday or the New Year sale from them because I found the deals previously better in last 2 years with those particular sales. Just wanted others opinions?

#13 JDogg

JDogg

[NZGR]

• Members
  • 4863 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:06 AM

You thinking of getting a PC Spawn?

#14 SpawnSeekSlay

SpawnSeekSlay

• Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:07 AM

You thinking of getting a PC Spawn?

Yeah been on the cards for years, wife and I need one for some work and would like to get back to a bit of PC gaming now and then (not much though)

Once I get the spare room painted, and been on trademe looking for a desk, Ill be good to go. My chair arrived yesterday so thats a start.

#15 JDogg

JDogg

[NZGR]

• Members
  • 4863 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:34 AM

Nice nice. If you have the time, a friend of mine was picking up parts over half a year to a year during sales. He saved his GPU and CPU until last to make sure he had the newest model. You dont want to build yourself?

#16 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

I built mine myself In June and it is pretty easy it just took me about 8 hours because I was being very cautious as I’d never done anything like it before. It came in abit cheaper but the main thing is it was fun and I learnt a lot.
It was very daunting and intimidating though. I got all the parts from pb tech and asked for a discount at the counter and he knocked another $300 off so that was cool
Saying that though a prebuilt would be a lot less stress haha.

Edited by AdamC, 07 November 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#17 SpawnSeekSlay

SpawnSeekSlay

• Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

Yeah been there done it all before.

Ive built my past 2 computers, last being in 2005 though. HDD failed in 2009 when I came back from the UK and havent bothered with it since, because I had a better laptop that I had in the UK and so just been using that and then another laptop since, till now , but its starting to have the slow downs , even formatting and starting again isnt helping now really. So thought time to go back to the desktop (because I want to play some high spec games now too which cant on this laptop) and Im settled in a house now where kids will grow up, so can dedicate a space for a 1500x1500 desk and a desktop rig.

Im at a time with kids and house and job etc I dont really want to bother with another build if I can just get the guys at PB to put it together for me for $50-100, I'd rather do that. Got way to many DIY and maintenance things to do at home and on the property, so trying to free things up and not add another task for me to do.

Damn getting a $300 discount just on asking for one is crazy. How much did you spend for him to give that sort of discount?

So anyone had any experience on when the best sale is for PB Tech? As I said I remember last few years thinking the Black Friday had the best deals, but might be getting mixed up with New Years.

Also anyone got any websites that check benchmarks?

Would like to ideally run a 1440p 144hz GSync monitor. Would a 1070 be ok with 1440p >100fps? or would only a 1080 hit that, or is it overkill. 

I wanna go highish spec but not blow the bank out

Also what have people liked more out of 1440p >100fps compared to 4k 60fps? 

And when do GPU models come out each year? Will a 1180 come out soon so Id be better to wait and pick up a discounted 1080?

Edited by SpawnSeekSlay, 07 November 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#18 JDogg

JDogg

[NZGR]

• Members
  • 4863 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

1440p >100fps over 4k for me all the way.

Benchmarking will be pretty subjective. I have a 1080ti running a 1440p 165hz G-sync and for Destiny i get over 100 on ultra, PUBG only 80-100, Mass Effect i had to turn some settings down to get a high FPS. all games will be different and as new games come out you will always be lowering your settings or lowering your FPS.

Unsure when the new cards will be coming out, but when they do the 1080ti should drop in price.

Not sure about the sales aye, i generally have a list on pricespy with a build i want and then wait tk be notified of price drops.

#19 SpawnSeekSlay

SpawnSeekSlay

• Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

Isnt a 1080Ti a bit overkill for 1440p though? Seems to be more for 4k...  From the benchmarks I was looking it seems so, but I guess you are future proofing yourself :)

Some games seem to hit 80fps on Ultra at 1440p on a 1070 compared to 100fps on a 1080 for example, Would you really notice a difference from 80fps compared to 100fps if they were both keeping solid to their respective fps?

I mean Ill likely be mixing it up on Steam backlog (alot of it collected over the last 10 years), some retro stuff like Baldurs Gate, Morrowind etc. But would like to mix in the newer stuff ie modded Skyrim, The Witcher etc, and some FPS maybe like Destiny 2 down the line when the Collection/GOTY version drops in a few years. So im not looking to hit AAA games all the time in Ultra if you know what I mean :)

Also whats the order of priority in components. GPU obviously number 1, but what about CPU and Ram, SSD drives and Motherboard?

CPU is more the confusing one to me, does it cause a bottleneck? because why are people choosing to run an i5 over an i7 for example?

#20 SpawnSeekSlay

SpawnSeekSlay

• Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

Also is any of the companies typically better with graphics cards.

I used to like Gigabyte stuff back in the day. Then ASUS was the good stuff, and as a few years ago I hear EVGA were marking the better GPUs.  Anyone have an opinion on this now? any manufacturer better than another?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users