• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CloudAxel16

CloudAxel16
  • Steam ID:Cloudaxel16
  • PSN:Krish123
  • Xbox Live:Cloudaxel16

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking to travel in the next few months and was thinking about getting a PSVita for the long plane rides.

To my surprise, I can't find any online NZ store that is still selling new Vitas. I've searched Mighty Ape, EBGames, The Warehouse, JB Hi FI and Harvey Norman.

So I'm guessing the best option is to import it. Which stores would be the best for it?

#2 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10703 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:21 PM

Holy sh*t you are right. That's insane.

If visiting an EB is out of the question and so is used out of the question I'd go NZGameshop.

#3 woollywol

woollywol
  • Steam ID:PoodleDjinn
  • PSN:wilywol60
  • Wii:woollywol60

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

I don't think NZG have any either? Haven't seen Vitas listed in some time there.
I'd look at importing from Play-Asia.
Or else the simple route is secondhand from EB.

#4 Silvon

Silvon
  • Steam ID:Silvonvalar
  • PSN:Valarze

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:58 PM

I don't think NZG have any either? Haven't seen Vitas listed in some time there.

I'd probably actually try Amazon, Play-Asia seems to be pretty expensive at around $280 NZD not including shipping.  Amazon do though seem to have them at $150 USD right now (or around $210 NZD) which isn't a terribly bad price, although then there's the shipping costs to get it back here.

Amazon also have reasonably priced 32gb memory cards too at $57 USD (or about $78 NZD) which again you'd have to add shipping costs onto, but it's cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.

Whatever the case though there are avenues available still to get it though it looks like unfortunately nothing in NZ apart from as woolly said to go preowned at EB or on Trademe perhaps.

#5 woollywol

woollywol

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

I'd probably actually try Amazon, Play-Asia seems to be pretty expensive at around $280 NZD not including shipping.  Amazon do though seem to have them at $150 USD right now (or around $210 NZD) which isn't a terribly bad price, although then there's the shipping costs to get it back here.

Oh, that does sound like a good price!

That's temptation, that is ...!  :evil:

The only reason I'd hesitate to order an American Vita is the whole electrical/power thing (?). They have totally different voltage from us and EU.

Their charger would be different too, therefore, I reckon.

If anyone can clarify this issue for me, I'd appreciate it.

#6 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10703 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

You'd have to use an adapter for anywhere but basically here and Aus I believe.

#7 CloudAxel16

CloudAxel16

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

Amazon also have reasonably priced 32gb memory cards too at $57 USD (or about $78 NZD) which again you'd have to add shipping costs onto, but it's cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.

Whatever the case though there are avenues available still to get it though it looks like unfortunately nothing in NZ apart from as woolly said to go preowned at EB or on Trademe perhaps.

Looks like amazon is the best place to get it. Looks like around $245 with shipping. The Warehouse use to sell it for $289 so its still cheaper. Thanks.

Anyone import things from Amazon before? How's the packaging and how would the warranty work? 

Also I was wondering if I should at least wait for the PlayStation conferences to happen next week. Just in case. I've already waited this long, I guess I can wait a extra week and a half lol

#8 woollywol

woollywol

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:29 PM

I would wait for the conferences. It's of course incredibly unlikely that Sony will announce anything about an updated Vita version - but there has been persistent speculation (based on highly circumstantial evidence).

Warranty for overseas purchases is always very awkward I think. I have heard of people shipping stuff back to the US for warranty, but that's not a cheap or desirable option IMO.
EB do give a short warranty on their pre-owned units.

#9 xmorph

xmorph

Praise the Derp

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • Steam ID:Xen0m0rph3
  • PSN:GingerLeopard
  • Wii:Xen0m0rph3
  • Xbox Live:Xen0m0rph3

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

I have an American Vita (Bought second hand from someone I know so I couldn't tell you where it was originally purchased from.) and all you need is a NZ/AUS adapter and it will charge just as a NZ/AUS Vita would in our powerpoints.

#10 woollywol

woollywol

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:32 PM

Good to know, thanks xmorph.

#11 CloudAxel16

CloudAxel16

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

I would wait for the conferences. It's of course incredibly unlikely that Sony will announce anything about an updated Vita version - but there has been persistent speculation (based on highly circumstantial evidence).

Warranty for overseas purchases is always very awkward I think. I have heard of people shipping stuff back to the US for warranty, but that's not a cheap or desirable option IMO.

I'm sure we'll get some Vita news at their TGS conference so I guess I'll just wait.

I guess I'll just have to hope it doesn't break then. 

Yeah I think Eb has 3 months warranty on pre-owned goods. But I don't think they have any stock in stores near me and I would rather see and hold it before buying.

I have an American Vita (Bought second hand from someone I know so I couldn't tell you where it was originally purchased from.) and all you need is a NZ/AUS adapter and it will charge just as a NZ/AUS Vita would in our powerpoints.

That's good to hear. The charger is it basically the same as the PS4/ PS3 connector or would a micro USB charger work fine?

#12 Silvon

Silvon
  • Steam ID:Silvonvalar
  • PSN:Valarze

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:37 PM

I'm sure we'll get some Vita news at their TGS conference so I guess I'll just wait.

I guess I'll just have to hope it doesn't break then. 

Yeah I think Eb has 3 months warranty on pre-owned goods. But I don't think they have any stock in stores near me and I would rather see and hold it before buying.

That's good to hear. The charger is it basically the same as the PS4/ PS3 connector or would a micro USB charger work fine?

The charger is specific to the Vita, so a proprietary cable.  You could charge the Vita via USB with absolutely no problems, if you wanted to plug it into the wall you would need the adapter.

Alternatively just the power cord from the AC adapter to the wall would be the problem and more specifically just the part that plugs into the wall (I assume the voltage on the AC adapter between the US and NZ versions is the same) so you could just use the same power cable that's used for an NZ PS2, PS3 or PS4 if you have one of those or can get one easily, plug that into the AC adapter then into the wall and you're set.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users