What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10905 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

Valerie only got silver.

Still second best in the world is nothing to sneeze at and she was champ for a fair while.

#42 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

When you are just this good:

13934662_10157188431070461_7761427511445

#43 BigC

BigC
  • PSN:NZBigC

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:56 PM

7712230-3x2-700x467.jpg

North Korean and South Korean gymnasts take selfie together.

RioOlympicsJudoMen_Gree_620x310.jpg

Egyptian refuses to shake hands with Israeli opponent

#44 oconnomiyaki

oconnomiyaki

Iconoclast

• Members
  • 3759 posts
  • PSN:Donutta
  • Xbox Live:oconnomiyaki

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:06 PM

Bit unfounded that Rugby is a niche sport. He is right, the Rugby World Cup is the second most lucrative, watched and attended sports event in the world behind the FIFA World Cup (obv excl Olympics), and it on the rise in terms of playing numbers. We have achieved some remarkable things in Sport for such a tiny nation.

Please show your working.

I thought I remember that number bouncing around when we hosted the WC but it being debunked but I'm struggling to find viewership numbers, and definitely struggling to find accurate financial details.

It's not even true. A quick Google shows the ICC World Cup, UEFA, Tour de France, and others ranking above it, not to mention the FIFA World Cup.

It's that typical kind of myth-embracing that we do to make ourselves feel better as a nation. Even countries who embrace rugby such as Australia and Argentina put it way down the pecking order in terms of important. Hell, the A-League is a bigger deal in Aussie than Union.

Anyway, I see everyone jumped the gun on Adams getting the gold.

#45 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10905 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

It's not even true. A quick Google shows the ICC World Cup, UEFA, Tour de France, and others ranking above it, not to mention the FIFA World Cup.

It's that typical kind of myth-embracing that we do to make ourselves feel better as a nation. Even countries who embrace rugby such as Australia and Argentina put it way down the pecking order in terms of important. Hell, the A-League is a bigger deal in Aussie than Union.

He did say behind the FIFA World Cup.

Of course we do, she's awesome and one of our biggest Olympic champs, some of its just that patriotism, and blind faith, it's what keeps me Warriors faithful even when we look shithouse.

#46 oconnomiyaki

oconnomiyaki

Iconoclast

• Members
  • 3759 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:16 PM

Oh I was more meaning things like Sport NZ tweeting out that she had before all the throws had finished. Made them look a bit silly when they had to sheepishly retract it.

Being humble goes a long way, and I don't think patriotism is always a valid excuse (or even a good thing in general). That Chinese swimmer who didn't realise she won bronze was a great example of how to be. She was just happy she swam really well (I think she broke the Asian record) and then when she found out she got bronze she was elated.

It goes for any country or state or city in any sport, too. One of the reasons I was so happy to see the Carolina Panthers choke so hard at the last Super Bowl was because Cam Newton is everything but humble, be it victory or defeat.

Edited by oconnomiyaki, 13 August 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#47 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10905 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

Oh I was more meaning things like Sport NZ tweeting out that she had before all the throws had finished. Made them look a bit silly when they had to sheepishly retract it.

Oh I didn't know that happened.

#48 oconnomiyaki

oconnomiyaki

Iconoclast

• Members
  • 3759 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

Oh I didn't know that happened.

Yeah, it was Sport NZ and Olympic NZ(?) both, I think. It's on the news sites.

Sucks for Val, although she probably didn't see. And although she must be feeling pretty bummed right now given that it was her best throw in two years, her reaction was pretty nice to see. "That's sport."

#49 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10905 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

Sucks for Val, although she probably didn't see. And although she must be feeling pretty bummed right now given that it was her best throw in two years, her reaction was pretty nice to see. "That's sport."

I think she is one of our best sports people because of her attitude, I think she's just amazing.

Was it last Olympics she got silver which was bumped to gold because of cheating?

#50 that_black_guy

that_black_guy
  • PSN:that_black_guy

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:50 PM

UEFA and Tour de France aren't world cup events though. And, I can't remember where I heard it... or even if it's true. But I think there are more registered club rugby players in Aussie than here. Actually, reading that to myself... even I call bs on that.

But still, why not just be proud of our athletes? Adams would be more disappointed than anyone that she didn't win, but 2 golds and a silver over 12 years is such an amazing feat.

And yea, it was the last olympics where she lost to her Belorussian rival who literally improved tenfold in the space of months

#51 polarbear

polarbear
  • PSN:Just ask!

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

Bit unfounded that Rugby is a niche sport. He is right, the Rugby World Cup is the second most lucrative, watched and attended sports event in the world behind the FIFA World Cup (obv excl Olympics), and it on the rise in terms of playing numbers. We have achieved some remarkable things in Sport for such a tiny nation.

I thought I remember that number bouncing around when we hosted the WC but it being debunked but I'm struggling to find viewership numbers, and definitely struggling to find accurate financial details.

Absolute yarn.

Why are you so eager to put NZ pride in its Rugby down to a myth? And of what relevance is Australia and Argentina's Union popularity to your point? Their sporting preferences have absolutely no bearing on the overall importance of Rugby world wide as a sport. This is a numbers game, and many in Argentina and Australia still support Rugby Union lol.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/30326825

See table. Third biggest in terms of Impact. Just goes to show that the majority of numbers we are represented with are largely true in the way they are represented, however, are provided by those relevant sporting bodies leading to a lack of uniformity. 

#52 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

Hougaard gave his Olympic medal Rugby Sevens medal to Senatla after coming in as an injury replacement:

But that’s exactly what South African rugby sevens star Francois Hougaard did with his bronze medal, handing it to a man he deemed to “deserve it more.”

That man was Seabelo Senatla, who was replaced in the team by Hougaard after suffering a wrist injury.

Hougaard’s selection was not enough to secure the South Africans a spot in the final – they went down 7-5 in the semi to Great Britain – but it was enough for them to win a bronze medal, trumping Japan 54-14. But there would be no medal for Senatla under IOC regulations, despite his involvement in the group matches.

What a stupid rule that a guy that plays in the groups stage matches and then gets injured doesen't get a medal. 

http://www.foxsports...gn=FoxSportsAus

Edited by AudaciousGnome, 14 August 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#53 oconnomiyaki

oconnomiyaki

Iconoclast

• Members
  • 3759 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

Why are you so eager to put NZ pride in its Rugby down to a myth?

Because that pride is obnoxious, and the ridiculous importance New Zealand places on it stops it from being a better country. When people talk about the country slipping into a national depression when we lose and how domestic violence numbers rise all I can think of is "Please get a grip!"

The emphasis New Zealand places on sport is ridiculous and I like sports. And we go around patting ourselves on the back telling ourselves that we so good at sport and how we punch above or weight while ignoring some of the major issues New Zealand has, such as low wages, substandard accommodation, poor infrastructure, over-reliance on precarious exports to a handful of markets, and so on.

In short, every time New Zealand tells itself how amazing it is because it succeeds in a sport that only New Zealand takes that seriously (while middling in other sports) it's lying to itself. An opiate for the masses.

#54 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10905 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

Absolute yarn.

Why are you so eager to put NZ pride in its Rugby down to a myth? And of what relevance is Australia and Argentina's Union popularity to your point? Their sporting preferences have absolutely no bearing on the overall importance of Rugby world wide as a sport. This is a numbers game, and many in Argentina and Australia still support Rugby Union lol.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/30326825

See table. Third biggest in terms of Impact. Just goes to show that the majority of numbers we are represented with are largely true in the way they are represented, however, are provided by those relevant sporting bodies leading to a lack of uniformity. 

" the Rugby World Cup is the second most lucrative, watched and attended sports event in the world " please show your working.

That 2 year old chart doesn't indicate anything about how lucrative the event is in relation to the next top lucrative sport event is, attended is always hard because it doesn't account for the number of games etc.  Best way to measure that would be average attendance, and even then that's limited by stadium size, but viewership numbers I couldn't see much in there.

"And of what relevance is Australia and Argentina's Union popularity to your point?" He said it was a niche sport, which you are challenging.  Something can be a niche product while being available and watched/used in 100 or more countries.  The numbers in those countries relative to others is 100% what makes something niche.

Again you made some claims, please show your working.

#55 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10905 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

Why are you so eager to put NZ pride in its Rugby down to a myth?

Because that pride is obnoxious, and the ridiculous importance New Zealand places on it stops it from being a better country. When people talk about the country slipping into a national depression when we lose and how domestic violence numbers rise all I can think of is "Please get a grip!"

The emphasis New Zealand places on sport is ridiculous and I like sports. And we go around patting ourselves on the back telling ourselves that we so good at sport and how we punch above or weight while ignoring some of the major issues New Zealand has, such as low wages, substandard accommodation, poor infrastructure, over-reliance on precarious exports to a handful of markets, and so on.

In short, every time New Zealand tells itself how amazing it is because it succeeds in a sport that only New Zealand takes that seriously (while middling in other sports) it's lying to itself. An opiate for the masses.

Dude that's every country.  We all wank ourselves off over what we are good at, whether its sport a, sport b, or something else that's not sport, its national pride and it comes in many forms, you don't have to like it but its normal.

A little nation being excellent at a reasonably widespread sport is a big deal and a good source of national pride.

#56 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Undeniably Caffienated.

• Members
  • 2346 posts
  • PSN:DocChrisNZ

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

True national pride comes in all forms and with big sporting events it stirs in a lot of people. In the case of the Olympics It can be a good thing - raising awareness for sports, increasing health and participation in children, infrastructure and jobs.It can improve the general mood of an entire country if we win or do well.  It can be bad - putting countries into massive debt, nationwide depression if they fall way below what is accepted and even mild xenophobia. 

Well a good morning all round, Mahe with that tight win in the single sculls.

Great morning for team GB with more rowing and cycling golds and silvers as well as a confirmed gold+Silver in the mens cycling individual sprint  :thumbsup:

Not having sky was a big worry for me with the Olympics but Prime's coverage has been acceptable. Alas Heptathlon is not being shown that much which is one of my favourites to watch. 

#57 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10905 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

It can be bad - putting countries into massive debt, nationwide depression if they fall way below what is accepted and even mild xenophobia.

The debt is usually host nations overspending isn't it?

#58 Dodgykiwi

Dodgykiwi

Decal King

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1757 posts
  • Steam ID:dodgykiwi
  • PSN:Dodgy Kiwi
  • Xbox Live:Dodgy Kiwi

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

Puerto Rico gets their first Olympic gold medal in the Women's tennis final.

Mahe Drysdale gets the gold in one of the closest finishes.

The other rowing crews finish outside the medals.

Now I think we will be relying on Yachting.

Probably the best story is Del Potro getting through to the men's tennis final to face Andy Murray.

Edited by Dodgykiwi, 14 August 2016 - 11:42 AM.

#59 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Undeniably Caffienated.

• Members
  • 2346 posts
  • PSN:DocChrisNZ

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

It can be bad - putting countries into massive debt, nationwide depression if they fall way below what is accepted and even mild xenophobia.

The debt is usually host nations overspending isn't it?

Yup, if they didn't have the finances to support and olympic games, if there is corruption in fund allocations even down to local councils trying to upgrade services, roads. Look at poor Greece, the games certainly didn't help them. 

Bittersweet win for GB in the gymnastics floor event. Whitlock got gold but the Brazilian croud booing the Japanese and American favourites during their routine in order to put them off. This allowed the Brazilians to have a silver and bronze. Usually gymnastics crowds at these events are pretty decent and just cheer louder for their own team. Kinda wonder how much better those two would have done on an even ground.

#60 BigC

BigC
  • PSN:NZBigC

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

How many times has NZ lost in the dying moments of an event this Olympics lol. Cycling team lost by .102 seconds, Valerie lost on the last throw, and now the Black Sticks lost with 1.5 seconds left in the game. I was actually very surprised that it was Mahe's boat that was ahead when he won the Gold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users