oconnomiyaki

Iconoclast

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3759 posts
  • PSN:Donutta
  • Xbox Live:oconnomiyaki

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

We've done so very well the last few lots of games. This is disappointing on that note. At least our media are not as bloodthirsty as the AUS media when their people don't perform. We certainly outperform a lot of larger countries though, so I think there's plenty of room for pride. I definitely don't think there's a need to discourage people.

I don't want to discourage the athletes, just any needless sense of ego. I saw someone saying before the opening ceremony "And now the beginning of NZ having the most medals per capita." Just that sort of expectancy. I find it arrogant.

#22 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5317 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

It is arrogant but it's patriotic. It's supposed to inspire, in fact i think it's necessary to have an overly strong sense of national pride to inspire the people to compete for the pride of winning.
It's about the NZ brand too, I guess. Our national identity is kind of that if an underdog which punches above its weight and the media want to reinforce that to play to our identity.

What's up with all the other countries' swimmers being terrible sports about losing to the chinese guy though, it's disgraceful.

#23 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10905 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Someone as in media or person / commenter?

I think it's cool to have some pride in how we do for our wee nation, but the NZ is a sports country does get tiring, most countries are sports counties, just different sports.

#24 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5317 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

If we had a choice between being seen as good at sports or good at farming, I'd rather the former.
There's not much else you could say this country's known as good at, is there? Aside from cheap land ripe for investment.

#25 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

Does this mean we can stop jerking ourselves off about what a great sporting nation we are? I mean, I feel for the people who have trained for years only to sputter when the big day comes as no one wants to go through that, but maybe this will mean we end with the charade that we're God's chosen people when it comes to sports.

But NZ is a great sporting nation......NZ has the most dominant sporting team of all time in all sports......

#26 oconnomiyaki

oconnomiyaki

Iconoclast

• Members
  • 3759 posts
  • PSN:Donutta
  • Xbox Live:oconnomiyaki

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

Does this mean we can stop jerking ourselves off about what a great sporting nation we are? I mean, I feel for the people who have trained for years only to sputter when the big day comes as no one wants to go through that, but maybe this will mean we end with the charade that we're God's chosen people when it comes to sports.

But NZ is a great sporting nation......NZ has the most dominant sporting team of all time in all sports......

Sure, but rugby is still a niche sport and only at the top of the pecking order in a handful of countries. It's not justification for the myth we cling to. Most of our national sports teams are consistently average at best, if not downright poor at times. It's why we cling to sh*t like rowing.

But what do I know? I can't stand the Olympics. It's a pick 'n' mix of sports that no one gives a sh*t about usually. I dunno why once every four years we kid ourselves that discus is suddenly a big deal.

Ho hum.

#27 Dodgykiwi

Dodgykiwi

Decal King

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1757 posts
  • Steam ID:dodgykiwi
  • PSN:Dodgy Kiwi
  • Xbox Live:Dodgy Kiwi

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

Well what a disappointment the men's 7s were couldn't beat Great Britain scraped through because Fiji beat USA & then got beaten 12-7 by Fiji.

For once some swimmers got through their heats. Swimming semifinals and finals including Kiwis Corey Main and Bradlee Ashby

Black Sticks Women beat Spain 2-1

Interesting that Kuwait for someone reason is suspended by the IOC but 8 of their athletes are allowed to compete & two of them won gold in Men's double trap shooting.

#28 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Undeniably Caffienated.

• Members
  • 2346 posts
  • PSN:DocChrisNZ

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

Team GB not doing to badly and man that was a close 7's match. Our cyclist aren't doing too well so far and that our usual group to get medals from. Cant believe a Diving Gold. 

#29 sassydot

sassydot

Queen of Forza

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Gaming Night Host
  • 3843 posts
  • Steam ID:sassydot
  • Xbox Live:sassydot

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

Cody Miller (100m breaststroke, bronze)
http://imgur.com/gallery/ifoQX#EgeU6Gz

#30 PE0PLEKN0WME

PE0PLEKN0WME

When will Faye Lau's leg be fixed?

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 2422 posts
  • Xbox Live:PE0PLE KN0W ME

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

How about our 7's performances? Ha! gutted man.

#31 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Undeniably Caffienated.

• Members
  • 2346 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

The women's team did a great job getting the silver. True the men's team were not as successful but the Fijians were pretty darn good and team GB have been doing okay.

#32 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Undeniably Caffienated.

• Members
  • 2346 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:39 PM

And Japan have been playing their socks off

#33 Bunnny

Bunnny

Member Since 23 Nov 2006

• Tester
  • 6144 posts
  • Steam ID:BuNNNy_
  • PSN:BuNNNy_
  • Xbox Live:BuNNNy

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

Guys and girls lets cheer on D4nzy's brother!

Aaron Gate in the Men's team pursuit.

Sitting 4th so far after qualifications.

#34 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10905 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:24 PM

"And now the beginning of NZ having the most medals per capita."

We had better win some more medals as we are third in that list :P

#35 that_black_guy

that_black_guy
  • PSN:that_black_guy

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

Sure, but rugby is still a niche sport and only at the top of the pecking order in a handful of countries. It's not justification for the myth we cling to. Most of our national sports teams are consistently average at best, if not downright poor at times. It's why we cling to sh*t like rowing.

But what do I know? I can't stand the Olympics. It's a pick 'n' mix of sports that no one gives a sh*t about usually. I dunno why once every four years we kid ourselves that discus is suddenly a big deal.

Ho hum.

Don't quote me, but I think the rugby world cup is the 2nd biggest world cup event in sports?

And consistently average is still a pretty big achievement for such a small nation. I mean the fact that a team like the Black Caps can even earn the right to share a field with a team like India... I mean India isn't just a sport that plays cricket, it's a nation that lives and breathes it. The main problem with New Zealand sports is our unrealistic expectations. We take sporting excellence for granted and we're quick to bandwagon. That last parts kind of irrelevant, but it's still something that kind of bugs me.

I'm the opposite, I love the Olympics. And I love it for the same reason you hate it. These sports that get little to zero exposure, these athletes who are otherwise everyday people you wouldn't look twice at if you pass him on the street. Once every four years they get a chance to showcase their passion and hard work

#36 polarbear

polarbear
  • PSN:Just ask!

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

Ho hum.

Don't quote me, but I think the rugby world cup is the 2nd biggest world cup event in sports?

And consistently average is still a pretty big achievement for such a small nation. I mean the fact that a team like the Black Caps can even earn the right to share a field with a team like India... I mean India isn't just a sport that plays cricket, it's a nation that lives and breathes it. The main problem with New Zealand sports is our unrealistic expectations. We take sporting excellence for granted and we're quick to bandwagon. That last parts kind of irrelevant, but it's still something that kind of bugs me.

I'm the opposite, I love the Olympics. And I love it for the same reason you hate it. These sports that get little to zero exposure, these athletes who are otherwise everyday people you wouldn't look twice at if you pass him on the street. Once every four years they get a chance to showcase their passion and hard work

Bang on mate. 

Bit unfounded that Rugby is a niche sport. He is right, the Rugby World Cup is the second most lucrative, watched and attended sports event in the world behind the FIFA World Cup (obv excl Olympics), and it on the rise in terms of playing numbers. We have achieved some remarkable things in Sport for such a tiny nation. 

#37 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

+1

#38 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10905 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

Bit unfounded that Rugby is a niche sport. He is right, the Rugby World Cup is the second most lucrative, watched and attended sports event in the world behind the FIFA World Cup (obv excl Olympics), and it on the rise in terms of playing numbers. We have achieved some remarkable things in Sport for such a tiny nation.

Please show your working.

I thought I remember that number bouncing around when we hosted the WC but it being debunked but I'm struggling to find viewership numbers, and definitely struggling to find accurate financial details.

#39 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Undeniably Caffienated.

• Members
  • 2346 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:08 AM

Anyone else find the Chinese womens sprint rider's helmet with the face on it slightly disturbing.

Good morning for team GB 2 golds and 2 silvers. I never saw the trampolining in the olympics before. 

#40 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Undeniably Caffienated.

• Members
  • 2346 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

Wow that was an awesome team pursuit final. Ozzie put a decent fight but team GB were awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users