• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 woollywol

woollywol
  • Steam ID:PoodleDjinn
  • PSN:wilywol60
  • Wii:woollywol60

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

I finished Birthright and thought I might jump straight into Conquest. Haha! My brain was still wired for Hoshido and I simply couldn't make the mental and emotional transition to Nohr. Weird feeling for sure.
So I need to give it a rest.
May play Awakening in the meantime.

Edited by woollywol, 23 August 2016 - 10:18 AM.

#22 Xaphriel

Xaphriel

Chaos Wizard

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Steam ID:Xaphriel
  • PSN:Xaphriel

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

Awakening has the accessibility of Birthright, and most of the classes of Nohr. Good way to go.

#23 woollywol

woollywol

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

Awakening has the accessibility of Birthright, and most of the classes of Nohr. Good way to go.

Another plus is that I love the Awakening characters and music.

#24 Silvon

Silvon
  • Steam ID:Silvonvalar
  • PSN:Valarze

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:36 PM

Another plus is that I love the Awakening characters and music.

I always love the characters in FE games, they are done so well and there's such a good mix of different personalities and a lot of humour to the interactions.  

It's great when you can enjoy all facets of the game and not wishing combat would end so you can get back to the story or vice versa.

#25 ChaosButterfly

ChaosButterfly
  • PSN:ChaosButterfly

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:05 AM

It's so funny me and another friend playing Awakening seem to be levelling up entirely opposite characters, he hates SUlly but I've super levelled her up and he never bothered with Virion until I mentioned how awesome he is levelled up.  What characters are you guys nurturing? Been finding it hard to level Donnel especially at the start you have to pair him up alot or he dies to a stiff breeze. I like Panne, been trying to get a Lonqu, Miriel combo going on.

#26 woollywol

woollywol

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

Ah, I miss the immersion and fun of Fire Emblem. Must finish PoPoLoCrois first but then it's time for Awakening.
That's the brilliant thing: you can play these games do many ways!

#27 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:11 AM

We just buried Virion :( I only met him 2 battles ago too

Edited by AdamC, 30 August 2016 - 10:12 AM.

#28 ChaosButterfly

ChaosButterfly
  • PSN:ChaosButterfly

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:07 AM

Being new I'm not playing Classic mode yet otherwise almost everyone would be dead by now lol

#29 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

Being new I'm not playing Classic mode yet otherwise almost everyone would be dead by now lol

I have never played it before either, first game of its kind to be honest. Hard classic seems pretty damn fun and challenging. I have wiped a couple of times already

#30 AdamC

AdamC

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:46 PM

Ok I started wiping a Hell of alot lol, ended up going Normal difficulty classic, But now I have the hang of the combat, classes etc, its such an amazing game. Up to chapter 12 now! Favourite RPG in a long ass time. I might try FF Tactics if its similar gameplay. This is great.

Edited by AdamC, 26 September 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#31 Jaz

Jaz

#SILVERSCUM

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4318 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:00 AM

Get the triple pack with Birthright, Conquest and I think Revelations.

#32 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3202 posts
  • PSN:rebskee

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:18 AM

Ok I started wiping a Hell of alot lol, ended up going Normal difficulty classic, But now I have the hang of the combat, classes etc, its such an amazing game. Up to chapter 12 now! Favourite RPG in a long ass time. I might try FF Tactics if its similar gameplay. This is great.

FF Tactics Advance is one of my favorite handheld games, its sequel is pretty good too (FFTA2). The original FFT is more of a challenge than A and A2 imo (I guess more comparable to old school FE), but all three have solid stories!

#33 czk51

czk51
  • PSN:cheradenineZ

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:10 PM

Wasn't sure where to ask this so this is probably the best thread..

everywhere I turn, the FE series is highly regarded and many consider it an essential game for 3ds owners. 

Twice now I've downloaded the demo for Awakening, and it just does nothing for me. I don't enjoy the turn based combat at all. This is coming from FFXV and Xenoblade Chronicles where I really like the open style combat over turn-based. 

So normally I'd just turf it aside and say 'the game is not for me' however it's still hard to ignore the constant suggestion and recommendations. It's also very hard to judge just on a demo.

If anyone has tried the demo then later the full game, does it give a fair representation of the overall game? Obviously the turn based combat will persist however the characters, interactions, the child system etc is really intriguing. 

It's actually a toss up between FE and Fantasy Life which looks pretty accessible and neat, got some really good reviews, also has open style combat.

Plz halp.

#34 Xaphriel

Xaphriel

Chaos Wizard

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Steam ID:Xaphriel
  • PSN:Xaphriel

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

Fantasy Life is garbage.

Sorry, but it really is, I played 3 days of that and hated almost all of that.

Never tried the demo, but FE is great. Bought Awakening on a whim because it was like $25 on TradeMe, loved it. Slow to start, but once you get into the hardcore strategy and waifu catching it crystallises. 

I say get it from EB, and if you hate it then use their change of mind week to bring it back. No harm done.

#35 czk51

czk51

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:49 PM

noted, ta. The other one I was looking into was final fantasy explorers which looks interesting but some pretty terrible feedback (boring, too easy). I should stick to monster hunter gens for that but honestly that's getting a tad repetitive in that it takes so long to grind enough mats for new gear. Every time I join a session everyone else has the most baddass interesting gear and I walk in wearing a potato sack wielding a sharpened spatula. So I guess while I love the game I'm definitely after something that rewards short plays rather than massive investment. 

Aaaaaaaanyway I'm totally digressing here. I think I will try out FE: A thanks :) 

#36 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan
  • Steam ID:Monkeyman_707
  • PSN:Monkeyman_707
  • Xbox Live:MonkeyManRacing

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

Idk if you don't like the turn based strategy of it then well that's the entire game. Personally Fire Emblem is one of my favourite series but if your not into that style then idk man. I haven't tried the demo so can't comment on how well it reflects the actual game.

But actually I still haven't got fates... considering asking for it for christmas but I still don't know which I want to get  :unsure: I might just play through the original again this summer

#37 czk51

czk51

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

taken a big punt here and went for Birthright. Been looking at vids, reviews, pros, cons of all FE games and decided on this one. Plus it comes with an Ike amiibo so I can train him up in Smash Bros :D 

#38 czk51

czk51

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:46 AM

Played through the first 5 chapters and really enjoying it! I think the biggest improvement over the Awakening demo (different games I know) is the phasing into the battle mode - seems less disconnected in the game, and the background suits where you are on the battlefield. In the Awakening demo it seemed like there was a template background that would display regardless of where you are on the battlefield. 

I know it's only a visual thing and shouldn't affect the actual gameplay but in a way like this it 'seems' less turn based for me. Really liked that I could melt entire mountains and within the first 5 chapters my character turns into a freaking

Spoiler

(yeah I tagged that as even though it's early on and still really part of a greater tutorial, it was a whole dimension to the game I wasn't expecting and was pleasantly surprised!) 

So today hopefully I'll have build my base and will be able to visit others. Was this a thing on Awakening? It was one of the deciding factors for me. 

#39 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan
  • Steam ID:Monkeyman_707
  • PSN:Monkeyman_707
  • Xbox Live:MonkeyManRacing

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

Played through the first 5 chapters and really enjoying it! I think the biggest improvement over the Awakening demo (different games I know) is the phasing into the battle mode - seems less disconnected in the game, and the background suits where you are on the battlefield. In the Awakening demo it seemed like there was a template background that would display regardless of where you are on the battlefield. 

I know it's only a visual thing and shouldn't affect the actual gameplay but in a way like this it 'seems' less turn based for me. Really liked that I could melt entire mountains and within the first 5 chapters my character turns into a freaking

Spoiler

(yeah I tagged that as even though it's early on and still really part of a greater tutorial, it was a whole dimension to the game I wasn't expecting and was pleasantly surprised!) 

So today hopefully I'll have build my base and will be able to visit others. Was this a thing on Awakening? It was one of the deciding factors for me. 

The backgrounds in fight scenes of previous games have been limited to a set few eg if your in a castle you get the generic castle background or on a mountain there is a mountain background, did they change that to being the actual map their on? Yeah the spoiler you have there is something that has been included throughout the series, gotta love the badass moments like that, I also love the critical hit animations, always crazy. No base building wasnt a thing in awakening. Reading your hype has got me hype for this again, writing fates on my christmas list right now

#40 woollywol

woollywol

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

taken a big punt here and went for Birthright. Been looking at vids, reviews, pros, cons of all FE games and decided on this one. Plus it comes with an Ike amiibo so I can train him up in Smash Bros :D

Coming in a bit late on this one ... but I'm glad you are giving FE a go and are enjoying it.

As to the other games mentioned: FF Explorers is horrible, all the bad feedback is sadly right. But Fantasy Life is a big favourite of mine. Granted, it's not a deep game, like the FE series, but rather very light-hearted. It's absolutely chocka with content and you can choose which way you want to develop your character. I found it very addictive and totally charming. After the initial scenarios, the enemies become very strong and often challenging indeed. This game is really built for multiplayer (you can take up to 2 friends into a quest with you) so you can progress without the delays that a single player campaign would entail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users