Photo

Fire Emblem Which one should I get?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosButterfly

ChaosButterfly
  • PSN:ChaosButterfly

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

Should I get Awakening or Birthright?  I haven't played any Fire Emblem games before, Only Advance Wars. Currently both are about the same price if you shop around.

#2 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:28 PM

I'd start with the earlier one if you think you will play both. It's easier advancing in a series gameplay wise than going backwards most times. I still have awakening ready to play myself though. One day I'll find time lol

#3 Xaphriel

Xaphriel

Chaos Wizard

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Steam ID:Xaphriel
  • PSN:Xaphriel

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

Awakening is actually a better game IMO, and you can probably get it cheap somewhere. Definitely go for that before heading into Fates, they look basically the same but Awakening is more straightforward and has better characters and story.

#4 Silvon

Silvon
  • Steam ID:Silvonvalar
  • PSN:Valarze

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:22 PM

Awakening is actually a better game IMO, and you can probably get it cheap somewhere. Definitely go for that before heading into Fates, they look basically the same but Awakening is more straightforward and has better characters and story.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Awakening is "better" personally (I know opinions and all that :) ), but it definitely is more accessible for newcomers to the series.  I'd start with Awakening as well even purely for that reason.

With FE games the gameplay remains generally the same so going back in the series isn't a huge issue but there's no harm in working your way up especially when Awakening really is a very solid and enjoyable game.

#5 Xaphriel

Xaphriel

Chaos Wizard

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Steam ID:Xaphriel
  • PSN:Xaphriel

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:39 AM

I wouldn't necessarily say that Awakening is "better" personally (I know opinions and all that :) ), but it definitely is more accessible for newcomers to the series.  I'd start with Awakening as well even purely for that reason.

With FE games the gameplay remains generally the same so going back in the series isn't a huge issue but there's no harm in working your way up especially when Awakening really is a very solid and enjoyable game.

I was a newcomer when I played it, so there's probably an aspect of that influencing me. It's less complicated than Fates, and a more complete story in one playthrough. Definitely easier for newbies to get into. And I really preferred the characters but hey, that's just me :P

#6 ChaosButterfly

ChaosButterfly

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the input I'm keeping an eye out for Awakening at a decent price tho if I still don't see it in a while or keep losing auctions I might just get Birthright, it doesn't sound that bad from reviews, most of the bad ones are b*tching about censorship.

Edited by ChaosButterfly, 26 July 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#7 woollywol

woollywol
  • Steam ID:PoodleDjinn
  • PSN:wilywol60
  • Wii:woollywol60

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the input I'm keeping an eye out for Awakening at a decent price tho if I still don't see it in a while or keep losing auctions I might just get Birthright, it doesn't sound that bad from reviews, most of the bad ones are b*tching about censorship.

I'm on the last chapter in Birthright and really enjoyed it, even though I don't think the story is spectacular (it's fine) and for once I've actually been skipping through many of the personal chit-chat exchanges between characters (usually I love anything to do with character interaction and VN style). But the battle system is of course the great thing about FE and it's very streamlined in Birthright and great for easing newcomers into it.

I got quite addicted to the game and couldn't put it down; it helped me get through a difficult period of packing up our much-loved old home and moving to the new one.

I have started Awakening - sorta peeking into it - and I think I'll find the story and characters and dialogue more appealing. But that's entirely a personal taste thing. The music is good in Birthright, but I think it's superb in Awakening.

#8 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10707 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

I just bought awakening from nzgameshop for like 60 bucks. Pretty good price for a Nintendo game.

#9 woollywol

woollywol

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:46 AM

I just bought awakening from nzgameshop for like 60 bucks. Pretty good price for a Nintendo game.

I watched the price for a long time before buying it last year, and basically it's never shifted much from that $60 point - NZGS being the cheapest - and I see it continues to stay at that price.

#10 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10707 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:01 PM

It seems like good Nintendo games rarely drop below that price.

#11 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3202 posts
  • PSN:rebskee

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:44 PM

id go with awakening first due to the story as, like others have mentioned, you get a complete story in one purchase whereas with birthright you're gonna want to play the others (and I guess it's a bit shorter)

birthright is super easy tho, if that's of any importance to you!

and I love both sets of characters heaps, they're all pretty cool :)

#12 Rapidity

Rapidity

• [NZGR] - Clan Killzone 2
  • 2320 posts
  • PSN:Cruise_Elroy
  • Xbox Live:Cruise Elroy

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:41 PM

I've only just recently (this weekend) bought a 3ds and am currently playing through Birthright. Which I'm loving by the way, even if I have only just started. What piqued my interest in here though is that Birthright has been mentioned a couple times but Conquest hasn't?

#13 Silvon

Silvon

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:56 AM

I've only just recently (this weekend) bought a 3ds and am currently playing through Birthright. Which I'm loving by the way, even if I have only just started. What piqued my interest in here though is that Birthright has been mentioned a couple times but Conquest hasn't?

Probably just mainly because Birthright is the easier of the two to play through, and I guess what most people (especially those new to the series) should probably be starting with.  

I'd play both to get the full experience of the game and story but if you're new to the series Birthright will definitely be easier to start with than Conquest though both are great games.

#14 Rapidity

Rapidity

• 2320 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:32 AM

Probably just mainly because Birthright is the easier of the two to play through, and I guess what most people (especially those new to the series) should probably be starting with.

I'd play both to get the full experience of the game and story but if you're new to the series Birthright will definitely be easier to start with than Conquest though both are great games.
My bad, I'm playing Awakening not Birthright.

I'm assuming you've played both Birthright and Conquest then? So do the stories expand upon each other enough to warrant playing through both. I'm gathering from your reply that they do?

Edited by Rapidity, 08 August 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#15 Silvon

Silvon

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:12 PM

My bad, I'm playing Awakening not Birthright.

I'm assuming you've played both Birthright and Conquest then? So do the stories expand upon each other enough to warrant playing through both. I'm gathering from your reply that they do?

You do get enough out of it to warrant playing through both Birthright and Conquest yeah and I have played both.  I think though if you're going to buy both I'd get Birthright and play through that, if you find you really enjoy it and want more then get Conquest.  

It's not that I don't think people will enjoy both but since you can buy them separately I'd recommend it, just in case.

#16 ChaosButterfly

ChaosButterfly

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

I mnanaged to get Awakening for $40 finally and I am so addicted (also I would suck if I had to play classic mode, tho also maybe I'd have to play more cautiously) So I then went and managed to find Birthright for $45 it arrived this morning :)

#17 woollywol

woollywol

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

Gee, that's extremely good prices - where did ya buy from?

#18 ChaosButterfly

ChaosButterfly

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:30 AM

Kept an eye on trademe there's been a coupla weeks where there has been a few on sale at the same time so they felt the need to compete.

#19 Rapidity

Rapidity

• 2320 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:44 AM

It's decided, when I finish Awakening I'm going to play through both Birthright and Conquest.

Awakening is just that good, can't get enough of both the story and gameplay!!

Also, Classic mode for life  :karate:

Edited by Rapidity, 23 August 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#20 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:09 AM

I got around to starting this last night. Looks great so fat challenging battles on hard classic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users