#1 Mjolnir_64

Mjolnir_64
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Steam ID:Mjolnir_64
  • PSN:Mjolnir_64

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:34 PM

Planning on building a new gaming rig and trying to get info on some cases,

Im loving the look of the Cooler Master Cosmos II, however its lack of a window on the side seems to be a big letdown on an expensive system (If im spending thousands on a PC, I wanna see the components at work)

Anyone know of a good case thats practical and is good for keeping the system cool while still looking great.  

#2 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5982 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

Powermac G5... my kinda sexy (some modification needed)

IMG_0907.JPG

#3 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:04 PM

I would recommend the NZXT 440 series. I have a black/red colour scheme and love it. 

See post #137 in this thread for a completed build using the case

http://forums.nzgame...your-rig/page-7

large_14078e181af9c7e4.jpg

https://www.nzxt.com.../h440-black-red

Edited by AudaciousGnome, 19 January 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#4 MeshDTD

MeshDTD

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:01 PM

I was looking at making a new rig, This case is small but I am thinking of toning down my rig next build.

It might fit what you are looking for.

Air_240_Arctic_Black.jpg

Edited by MeshDTD, 20 January 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#5 Ronsoak

Ronsoak

Please cut up my Credit Cards

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Steam ID:http://steamcommunity.com/id/ronsoak
  • PSN:exekias

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

OMG FINALLY A POST I AM QUALIFIED FOR, I am on my 9th case in 2 years and so let me speak.

If you like the look of the cosmos but want a side window I really recommend the Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 its about  $300 sold by PB mainly. It has that same CM design language as the cosmos and has the side window.

Its an amazing case for cooling with support for 140mm fans in all of its slots or support for 240mm rads in front or top. If you are wanting to optimize cooling the 5.25 bay can be removed as well as the HDD bay and you can create a un-obstructed wind tunnel. This will still leave you with 2 HDD rack in the bottom compartment and 2 SSD slots either on the rear or on top of the shroud divider. Bear in mind with high airflow is high dust build up but the case was super easy to clean out.

Another case with good airflow with a side window would be the Corsair Air 540 or 240 pictured in this thread. Though this case has been reviewed as being flimsy in build quality (see Hardware Cunucks )  and of course its a 2 compartment cube so some parts don't fit. Not to mention the 340 only takes 80mm fans in the back and unless you want to buy really expensive 80mm fans from Noctua don't bother 80mm fans are loud.

Fractal design makes great cases that fit your criteria. The Define series has been refined over 4 years now and its really a delight to build in. Just like the Mastercase, the Define R5, you will get a side window with a view of your gear and the cases are great for airflow. The only down side is that divided cases are 'in' at the moment (and my pref) and the Fractal cases don't have em so your guna see your PSU through the window and the nest of cables. Alternatively on these same lines the Corsair 350d and 750d are in the same field as the Define R5

Avoid NZXT if your wanting airflow. The S340 is a CHEAP case brilliant case to work in but the very definition of cheap and if your building big you dont want to cheap. the H440 is an amazing case but as its more focuses on silence the airflow suffers, this is my current case and while my parts are not overheating ambient temperature  is higher than when i was in my Mastercase and it takes longer to vent.

Phanteks Cases are great, they often come with a 200mm fan in the front which is great for airflow. I would avoid the older EVOLV models they all had 1 thing which wasn't quite right but the late 2015 model really hit the nail on the head. Also very fun to build in. But the Enthoo cases are very elegant and a good choice for a high end build - The deluxe comes with built in LEDs.

#6 Mjolnir_64

Mjolnir_64
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Steam ID:Mjolnir_64
  • PSN:Mjolnir_64

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

Went with the NZXT 440 in the end, looked at the pros and cons of it and decided its a good case for now. If ultimately the airflow causes issues I can upgrade again in future. Saw the Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 today in PB Tech as well and that looks much better in front of me then that photos did, might try that for my next full build. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users