#1 Rapidity

Rapidity
  • NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• [NZGR] - Clan Killzone 2
  • 2325 posts
  • PSN:Cruise_Elroy
  • Xbox Live:Cruise Elroy

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

Here's the article I read recently which mentions how Sky Sport is basically dictating when Leeds United can play there matches, often changing the date and time of matches at the last minute to suit themselves. http://www.radionz.c...-over-tv-orders

Sky are obviouslyy pulling the same sh*t here for example now would have been the best time to hold our domestic Twenty20 cricket, crowds would have been big with holiday goers etc. however Sky pretty much dictated that it had to be held in November/December as they didn't want it competing with the Big Bash in Aus and the Blackcaps which in my opinion is complete horsesh*t.

Discuss.

Edited by Rapidity, 08 January 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#2 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3555 posts
  • PSN:Dvst8u

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

imo the big bash and our 20/20 arent even worth comparing. much much bigger stage. but i agree , it should of been held over the past 3 weeks or so. especially afternoon games would of been good for the game to try and build something of substance. were never gonna get 10,000 people crowds let alone 75k+ in australia (in comparison). sky have the monopoly and thats the way it is for now. look at the rugby world cup when it was here , kick offs at 9 etc , thats only for the other world to have desirable times for kick off so the tv companys and get the advertising money etc , and with professionalism now its tv that pays the wages

#3 Rapidity

Rapidity

• 2325 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

Yeah I guess we'll never get close to the Aussie crowds unfortunately. I went to a couple of the Kings games in December here in Chch and there would have been maybe 350ish people there max, if it was held now though surely we would have gotten 3 or 4 thousand.

#4 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10907 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

Someone has to pay the bills, and crowd attendances rarely do. Players need to get paid somehow.

#5 Dvst8u

Dvst8u

Dvst8u

• Members
  • 3555 posts
  • PSN:Dvst8u

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

Yeah I guess we'll never get close to the Aussie crowds unfortunately. I went to a couple of the Kings games in December here in Chch and there would have been maybe 350ish people there max, if it was held now though surely we would have gotten 3 or 4 thousand.

i didnt go to any games when they were played here at yarrow stadium inc semis and finals , i wanted to but with a young family it was hard to go at 7 at night. also , when the final was at 7 on a sunday? thats super crazy imo again.

also central wernt there so its all relative.

Edited by Dvst8u, 08 January 2016 - 02:15 PM.

#6 Rapidity

Rapidity

• 2325 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

i didnt go to any games when they were played here at yarrow stadium inc semis and finals , i wanted to but with a young family it was hard to go at 7 at night. also , when the final was at 7 on a sunday? thats super crazy imo again.

also central wernt there so its all relative.

We had the opposite problem down here, they all started at 3.30pm-4pm, great time for the kids but tough for anyone working. I managed to book a couple half days well in advance so was pretty lucky.

Yeah I didn't quite understand the decision to hold the final there or anywhere that isn't the home town of one of the finalists for that matter.

#7 oconnomiyaki

oconnomiyaki

Iconoclast

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3759 posts
  • PSN:Donutta
  • Xbox Live:oconnomiyaki

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:28 PM

Someone has to pay the bills, and crowd attendances rarely do. Players need to get paid somehow.

Might not be such an issue if society wasn't willing to reward sports players with obscenely high salaries.

#8 Rocky1986

Rocky1986
  • Steam ID:seamus33

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:23 AM

I can see everyones points, but yea its all about the money, they are all buisnesses and they kind of need each other, if there was another main broadcaster that might change things up. My oldman being from england still remembers in the day the first footballer to be earning 100 pounds a week and how ridiculous it was, oh how times have changed haha

#9 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10907 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:27 AM

Might not be such an issue if society wasn't willing to reward sports players with obscenely high salaries.

Fair, I'm not actually sure how much we pay our highest paid cricket players.

But I'd hate for them to cut finding and our top tourno go semi - pro.

#10 Rocky1986

Rocky1986
  • Steam ID:seamus33

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

im pretty sure our black caps get around $150 000 then extra for tests and odi etc not sure about domestic

Fair, I'm not actually sure how much we pay our highest paid cricket players.

But I'd hate for them to cut finding and our top tourno go semi - pro.

#11 NZBuc

NZBuc
  • Xbox Live:NZ Buc

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:41 PM

It's something that will always be discussed - tv rights (well broadcast) to most sports generate more money than tickets, but both need each other (NFL with redzone questioning how to make attending games more appealing when the tv product is so good).

#12 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:21 PM

Its not ideal but its a necessary evil.

How many people have come to games to watch them live after seeing them on tv and being interested in it? I'd say a few. From personal experience, when I heard what NRL was about I thought it sounded meh(no NRL in SA) . Then after watching it on tv and learning the rules, I actually enjoyed it and now I try and attend some live games every year. If it wasn't on tv, I probably wouldn't have ever given it a chance. 

#13 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

The Premier League has promised to see what can be done to help fans affected by the decision to move Arsenal's home game against Leicester for TV coverage at short notice.

The top-of-the-table clash has been moved back 24 hours -- to Valentine's Day -- just three weeks before it was due to be played to accommodate broadcast by Sky.

All home and away tickets have been sold out based upon the game being played at 3 p.m. GMT on Saturday, Feb. 13, but it will now be played at noon the following day.

http://www.espnfc.co...er-moved-for-tv

Edited by AudaciousGnome, 23 January 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#14 Rapidity

Rapidity

• 2325 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

Fans just need to say enough is enough and band together to boycott games right across the league until teams stand up against the Premiere League and Sky. I know Leeds are trying through court action but it doesn't seem to be making much difference at the moment.

#15 Altom905

Altom905
  • PSN:altom14

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:33 AM

I can see everyones points, but yea its all about the money, they are all buisnesses and they kind of need each other, if there was another main broadcaster that might change things up. My oldman being from england still remembers in the day the first footballer to be earning 100 pounds a week and how ridiculous it was, oh how times have changed haha

I'm woouldnt say the pay they get pay ridiculous . In the EPL most top teams play close to 60 games a season, in front of crowds of 50k+ paying £30+ for cheap seats, then tv audiences, sponsors, and also these guys are on contract and can be sold / loaned to other teams .
I remember watching a doco on Ice hockey in the USA , where the owners on the league had two sets of books one for the shareholders and one for players, players were getting the sack for wanting to count the seats in the stadiums because the figures didn't match up to what they thought. The owners had a free ride for years and made huge profits and the players basically played for the love of the game.

#16 souljah685

souljah685
  • PSN:souljah685

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:12 PM

Sky TV is a monopoly it will broadcast whatever it can depending on what rights and contracts they have with other broadcasting companies and they all have time frames on them.. Sucks cause at the end of the day it's all about making money cause it is a business yet it's the customers/clientele that suffer majority of their business decisions..

EDIT: at least we not like Aussie with Foxtel their broadcasting rights is worse than Sky TV

Edited by souljah685, 02 April 2016 - 11:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users