• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MJK

MJK
  • Steam ID:mjk333
  • Xbox Live:MJKooter1

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:36 AM

Hey Guys,

So I'm looking to build my first Gaming PC, and I was hoping to get some advice.

My aim is to get the PC running current and upcoming games smoothly at 1080P in High/Ultra settings, without having to upgrade to many parts in the future.

I play for pure enjoyment, not competitive fps.

Let me know what you guys think of my current setup:

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/pvWfTW

Too much? Too little? What should I change?

#2 GAMER_MATTY

GAMER_MATTY

GAMER_MATTY

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • PSN:GAMER_MATTY

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

thats a great build the only things  i would change is the gigabyte motherboard as i've heard quite a few bad things about them you could instead get a ASUS motherboard they are excellent, for the RAM you can go less than 16GB 8GB is enough for gaming 16GB would be ideal if you are editing gaming video's, capturing gameplay etc and lots of multitasking and for storage instead of a 500GB SSD you could get a 250GB SSD for your OS maybe have a few games installed on it for faster loading times and then go for a 1TB or 2TB HDD for storing all your games and any other stuff you want on that 2TB is enough really unless you plan on having sh*t loads of games then you could go more higher than 2TB it depends really on your needs, Corsair is probably the best option for your Power Supply the 650w 80+ will be all sweet :-) 

I just recently got a gaming pc built and i love it :-) heres my build

CPU - Intel Core I5 4690K 3.50Ghz

Motherboard - ASUS Z97-K

SSD - Samsung 850 250GB

HDD - Western Digital 2TB

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212X

Graphics Card - ASUS Strix GTX 980

RAM - Kingston 8GB 1600MHZ

Optical Drive - ASUS DRW-24D3ST

Power Supply - Corsair CS750M 80+ Gold

Case - Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Mid Tower

#3 GAMER_MATTY

GAMER_MATTY

GAMER_MATTY

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

my rig pretty much handles any game with no problems at all 1080p with every setting the highest possible and 60FPS way better performance than my PS4 thats for sure :-) in the future ill go SLI and do 4K gaming but in the mean time i'm sticking with my single 980 graphics card its all really i need right now :-)

#4 GAMER_MATTY

GAMER_MATTY

GAMER_MATTY

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

ohh forgot to mention the 970 you have in your build has been advertised being a 4GB graphics card but really its 3.5GB its worth reading up on it, thats why i went with the 980 for my build but its a bit more money if you can afford it even if you get the 970 you have still got a great graphics card :-) 

Here's some videos on the 970 you should know:

#5 MJK

MJK
  • Steam ID:mjk333
  • Xbox Live:MJKooter1

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:13 PM

Great reply. I've was gone for a few days, but I never expected such a fast response. I'll definitely take into account some of the changes you mentioned.

Those videos really make be want to get a 980 now, especially for future proofing, but it's just so much more expensive. How much did your build cost in the end as I'll probably follow a similar build.

What did you get as your monitor? I know the gaming standard is a TN monitor, but IPS just looks nicer. I'm worried thought that if my gtx980 is cranking out 127 fps, and my monitor is only 60hz, it might look bad. Any experience with this?

#6 GAMER_MATTY

GAMER_MATTY

GAMER_MATTY

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:09 AM

I'm gaming on just a normal 32 inch Full HD Sony tv lol which is just only 60 HZ so the max fps i get is 60 FPS and i enable V-SYNC because my tv can only handle 60 FPS but the 980 can handle more frames than 60 but i just don't have monitor to support those extra frames but i'm not worried at all about it 60 FPS is fine since i've had my pc i have never played a game lower than 60 FPS i've actually forgotten what its like to game at 30 FPS like on console lol, my build cost me around $2558 i didn't build it myself though someone built it for me but i picked all the parts for it then i had to pay for warranty, labour and etc..... so building the pc yourself will be much cheaper for sure, i wanted my pc to be future proof that i made sure my pc was a really good pc build :-)

#7 PeanutButterCup

PeanutButterCup
  • PSN:El_indian

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:38 AM

Are you also video editing? If not, as Matty has suggested, go for the i5 4690K. 

If you're not overclocking (which you won't need to with a 970 at 1080p), consider the i5 4690 for ~$30/40 less...This is exactly the same as the above K chip except you won't be able to overclock it. 

I say go with the 970. I think it's the best GPU for the money right now, a great card for your first build. You can worry about upgrades later on.

Here's a list of PSU's to consider: http://www.overclock...-power-supplies

^^ Go with something in the 550-699 range that you can find for the best price. Don't buy a cheap off-brand PSU!

Do you currently have an IPS monitor? Have you heard of G-Sync/FreeSync monitors? Something to consider for the future.

Even with a 970, you'll likely be above 60fps (what sort of games are you playing)? But don't worry, turn on V-Sync in game and it'll limit the frames to 60...Should be smooth. Problem with fixed refresh rate monitors arise when you fall below 60fps, the GPU has to draw the same frame again so you get stutter/lag. Hey, you may not even notice it as long as you don't fall below 30/35fps.

G-Sync/FreeSync panels have variable refresh rates, so it'll sync the refresh rate of the monitor to whatever the GPU is capable of. E.g. If GPU is cranking out 127fps, the monitor will be 127Hz. If fps drops to 60 (because explosions everywhere) the refresh rate will be 60Hz, etc. etc.  

Yeah it's pretty amazing (especially with the newer 144Hz panels we're seeing now); it essentially means butter smooth gameplay. 

...Something to consider for next year/Christmas. I say focus on your PC for now....

I'm a fan of incremental upgrades; rather than buying all the latest sh*t now (which ironically i did for my build), use what you have, and then when you do upgrade you'll really notice the difference! 

-------

end

Edited by PeanutButterCup, 27 September 2015 - 12:46 AM.

#8 ThatUndeadLegacy

ThatUndeadLegacy

Everyone thinks i am a troll but i am dead serious

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Steam ID:ThatUndeadLegacy
  • PSN:ThatUndeadLegacy
  • Xbox Live:ThatUDLegacy

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

I would recommend playtech if you want to just buy one, but your build looks good to me :D if its compatible 

Edited by ThatUndeadLegacy, 19 January 2016 - 11:46 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rig, Gaming, PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users