sassydot

Queen of Forza

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Gaming Night Host
  • 3730 posts
  • Steam ID:sassydot
  • Xbox Live:sassydot

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

I'm on the fence about this game, might get it as a treat for myself for my birthday coming up in a few weeks, but I've played a bit at friends (he has the PC version) and it felt kind of like a really generic RPG, and i got the feeling that, yes although this is an Elder Scrolls game, and has all the elements of one, it still didn't really feel like one, although I did play it for only an hour or two on his pre-made character, I don't really like critizing a game and making full decisions on purchases without doing more research and playing for longer periods

I asked a friend Monday if he was getting it, and he has the PC version and said he probably won't and that it was disappointing too.

I've probably only put 20 or so hours into Skyrim, and that's it for the franchise, so I don't really have much to compare this to and as such am assuming I won't be disappointed in it doing being very ES-ish.

I read a lot of debate on whether this is dumbed-down or not.  Probably suits me as a relative beginner, if it is (or if I have the option to make it so)

#42 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4193 posts
  • Steam ID:mvon007
  • PSN:mvon007
  • Xbox Live:mvon007

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, quite happy for something dumbed down from the likes of Skyrim, and also happy enough to have something mainly for the community aspect. So you all have to keep playing it for a while, y'hear :)?

#43 Mafivee

Mafivee

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

As I'm a huge fan of the elder scrolls I'm fully aware that this is going to be nothing like the single player elder scrolls and am keen to see what it's all about and PvP aspect of it. The lore and story will be interesting aswell.,

#44 RKO_NZ

RKO_NZ

www.obsrv.org

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • Steam ID:Fnpwnage
  • PSN:NiueanNemesis
  • Xbox Live:TERMINATOR NZL

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

I'm on the fence about this game, might get it as a treat for myself for my birthday coming up in a few weeks, but I've played a bit at friends (he has the PC version) and it felt kind of like a really generic RPG, and i got the feeling that, yes although this is an Elder Scrolls game, and has all the elements of one, it still didn't really feel like one, although I did play it for only an hour or two on his pre-made character, I don't really like critizing a game and making full decisions on purchases without doing more research and playing for longer periods

I asked a friend Monday if he was getting it, and he has the PC version and said he probably won't and that it was disappointing too.

I've probably only put 20 or so hours into Skyrim, and that's it for the franchise, so I don't really have much to compare this to and as such am assuming I won't be disappointed in it doing being very ES-ish.

I read a lot of debate on whether this is dumbed-down or not.  Probably suits me as a relative beginner, if it is (or if I have the option to make it so)

It's really dumbed down from the standard series, but a bit too much, thus why it felt generic to me, I'm always keen for a good online mmo though, so thats what is pulling me toward buying it, because Iately I've just got sick of playing the same type of games over and over again (sports and Fps's) and the games I really want like Until Dawn don't come out for another few months, so it will be good to have a game variant to look to from time to time

#45 Mafivee

Mafivee

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

I'm slightly sick of sports and really sick fps (for some time now). Coming into winter I just feel like getting absorbed into a good rpg.

#46 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• Members
  • 4193 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

I'm slightly sick of sports and really sick fps (for some time now). Coming into winter I just feel like getting absorbed into a good rpg.

I'll take that fps thing into account if we get to playing Halo this evening ;).

#47 womz

womz
  • Steam ID:womzz
  • Xbox Live:Womz

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

I'm slightly sick of sports and really sick fps (for some time now). Coming into winter I just feel like getting absorbed into a good rpg.

yea I'm on a RPG buzz at the moment, finished Dragon Age, now on Witcher 3, next up ESO

#48 sassydot

sassydot

Queen of Forza

• Gaming Night Host
  • 3730 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

Ahhhhhh... OK, I thought one needed the Imperial ed. to go any race, any alliance, but now that I learn how to read properly, I see you only need the explorer's pack.

Won't be bothering with Imperial, then.

#49 Mafivee

Mafivee

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

I'll take that fps thing into account if we get to playing Halo this evening ;).

Maybe the word "sick" was a bit harsh and "burnt out" would be more appropriate. I still like playing them on a casual basis, say in co-op campaign or mucking around on a saturday night with the NZG crew. The burning out phase was due to playing nothing but online competitve FPS like Halo 3, MW2 and MW3 pretty much day in day out which lead to an overdose of it. However, after over a year of limited time with them (a detox), it's safe to say that I will regain interest in FPS, especially playing along side you fine people :thumbsup:

I'm slightly sick of sports and really sick fps (for some time now). Coming into winter I just feel like getting absorbed into a good rpg.

yea I'm on a RPG buzz at the moment, finished Dragon Age, now on Witcher 3, next up ESO

I've been meaning to get into DA 1 & 2 on 360, but can't be bothered and have been looking at DA:I which I'll wait a bit more. I played Witcher 2 on 360 as it was with GwG to see what it was all about before Witcher 3 and it didn't appeal to me as much as I thought it would. Can't wait to get into a deep current gen RPG.

Ahhhhhh... OK, I thought one needed the Imperial ed. to go any race, any alliance, but now that I learn how to read properly, I see you only need the explorer's pack.

Won't be bothering with Imperial, then.

Neither. I'll probably never go an Imperial and the saving on the horse would be nice at the start, but I'm sure saving up here and there for one won't be too difficult, unless gold is really scarce. The other things are a bit meh and probably don't warrant an extra $20 imo.

#50 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• Members
  • 4193 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:16 PM

Heh, we -are- fine people ;).

I feel like I save a lot by generally not being that interested in RPGs ... but WoW has probably more than made up for that over the years. It too was at first because people I knew were playing - my nephews - but then they went off to uni and never returned to the game, and I kept going mainly because of time invested ... and the odd unreliable friend. To me these MMOs are first and foremost about the community, and that is what WoW has lost, and its loss is my gain HERE.

As for the gold thing, from what I'm reading, one should have enough to buy a slower horse by level 15-20 but one should rather save for a faster one. Guess we'll see how we go! Back in the day you had to get to level 40 in WoW, and -then- the chances of having saved 90 gold were practically zero. One of the things I really liked about it then was that you could grind for stuff that was actually not common, and actually useful, without having to go to the massive raids that just did not appeal.

#51 Mafivee

Mafivee

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

I'm not too sure with the horses in this game, but horses have generally handled very poor and combat has always been annoying. It was always annoying with the whole get on the horse, ride off then come across an enemy, hop of horse fight, get back on horse and continue. I'd much rather run everywhere for thorough exploration and battling.

#52 sassydot

sassydot

Queen of Forza

• Gaming Night Host
  • 3730 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

Yeah I like the exploring on foot!

I hate my horse in DA:I and use it as little as possible.

#53 RKO_NZ

RKO_NZ

www.obsrv.org

• Members
  • 1376 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:21 PM

So does this game have any mount combat? or is it still the ride on/off? I'm like most of you, I prefer walking, I do enjoy having an alternative version of transport if need be, but you tend to notice more features and finer touches to the game when you take it slower pace, I never used horses in Oblivion or Skyrim, and always opted to walk, the only time I recall using horses was when I got the undead horse mount from the DLCs.

#54 Mafivee

Mafivee

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:22 AM

There still doesn't appear to be mounted combat. I can't help but search everything so riding on a horse would make it a little difficult and inconvenient. If I needed to get somewhere quickly and didn't need to loot I'd probably pull out the horse.

Edited by Mafivee, 29 May 2015 - 06:23 AM.

#55 Meanvision

Meanvision
  • Steam ID:Meanvision
  • PSN:Meanvision
  • Xbox Live:Meanviz

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:26 PM

It would be ok if the did the mounts like on neverwinter, although abit unrealistic it works well. There's not really an animation for getting on the horse, it's just done in a second with a puff off smoke, so you can ride into combat and as soon as you hit the attack button your pretty much on the ground fighting, it doesn't look the best but it's more practical.

Edited by Meanvision, 29 May 2015 - 01:27 PM.

#56 RKO_NZ

RKO_NZ

www.obsrv.org

• Members
  • 1376 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

It would be ok if the did the mounts like on neverwinter, although abit unrealistic it works well. There's not really an animation for getting on the horse, it's just done in a second with a puff off smoke, so you can ride into combat and as soon as you hit the attack button your pretty much on the ground fighting, it doesn't look the best but it's more practical.

They could always code/design a skill or something thats dedicated to mounted combat, and when you level up your effectiveness in mount combat would be improved, along with horse handling, so say add a extra skill or speciality to a skill tree, so that when the skill is improved, the players character could mount/dismount faster by using unique animations when they reach certain levels, like a Legolas type mount where he would grab the side of the horse and flip to the other side and get up on the horse, or a Dynasty style mount where the character could do a running flip onto the horse/ flip off the horse. Its not like something like this is required for the game, but I think it would be appreciated more if there was something like this in the game, as a mandatory feature or all characters or as a special skill for a race or skill tree

#57 oconnomiyaki

oconnomiyaki

Iconoclast

• Members
  • 3759 posts
  • PSN:Donutta
  • Xbox Live:oconnomiyaki

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

Bethesda better send me my bloody code.

#58 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• Members
  • 4193 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

Sorted out an external drive and did the pre-order, mainly because I had loads of GBs left in my month that finished yesterday. Seems to be a very slow download; got 1/3 done last night and another 17% in 3 hours this morning. Will be good to have it all ready I guess lol.

#59 Mafivee

Mafivee

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:13 AM

Nice. Will be preordering mine tomorrow and will take about 10 hours to download I'd imagine.

Any idea on what you'll be playing as yet? I'm feeling a Khajiit night blade at the moment. The melee criticals, health regeneration during combat and sneak radius sounds decent. Got the skills to do most things, especially with this justice system. A lot of stealing and sneaking might be at hand.

Edited by Mafivee, 03 June 2015 - 11:14 AM.

#60 mvon007

mvon007

Ex Forza Whore

• Members
  • 4193 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

Well if we're going with this cat army thing, I guess a Khajiit something else; you know I'm not much of a sneaker :D. And I also don't know what the options are lol ... what would be most similar to a warrior or mage? :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users