#1 Wozza

Wozza

The next test is impossible

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5796 posts
  • Xbox Live:Wozza NZGamer

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:43 PM

So I realised pretty much everything I listen to is from the 90's (ish), or bands that are still going from the 90's. I need to mix it up with some new exciting bands from the last 5 years, so post your recommendations here!

To give you an idea, here's some stuff I love:

Rock:
Radiohead
Faith No More
Nirvana
Sonic Youth
Soundgarden
Queens of the Stoneage

Trip-hop:
Portishead
Massive Attack
Tricky
Unkle

Metal:
Dream Theatre
NIN
Opeth

Punk:
NOFX
Rancid

Electronic:
Chemical Bros
Daft Punk
DJ Shadow
Z-Trip
Chicane

And probably a lot more but that's a quickie post. Love a lot of stuff older than that too of course.

#2 Super-Pangolin

Super-Pangolin
  • Steam ID:superpangolin
  • PSN:Super-Pangolin
  • Xbox Live:Super Pangolin

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:35 PM

CAN DO. You could always check the "similar artists" on any artist's last.fm page, but I hope I can also point you in the direction of some stuff you might like. Gonna keep it somewhat mainstream (proportionately), will try my best...

Trip-hop:
Portishead
Massive Attack
Tricky
Unkle

Electronic:
Chemical Bros
Daft Punk
DJ Shadow
Z-Trip
Chicane

Can kinda mix these two. Starting with trip, Tricky put an album out recently! Ninja Tune are still a decent label to check out. Try Flying Lotus or anything from his label Brainfeeder (TOKiMONSTA is my fav). Maybe stuff like The Acid, Stateless, Little Dragon, Fever Ray... also maybe the downtempo RnB-influenced stuff like FKA twigs, James Blake, BANKS, Jamie Woon, SOHN, or The Weeknd? More electronic, you may like Burial, Grimes, SBTRKT, Mux Mool, Squarepusher...

Metal:
Dream Theatre
NIN
Opeth

TesseracT, Animals as Leaders, Periphery, or recent The Faceless or The Contortionist are pretty good prog-oriented stuff (seems to be your jam).

Punk:
NOFX
Rancid

Pennywise or Rise Against would be the obvious, both having had plenty of airtime here. Bad Religion, Less Than Jake, Strike Anywhere, A Wilhelm Scream, The Menzingers, or pretty much anything off Fat Mike's (yup, from NOFX) label Fat Wreck Chords. Nitro (started by a dude from the Offspring) and Epitaph records have good stuff, those 3 labels cover most of what's here, and most all are still releasing music. I haven't checked those labels, or ones like Side One Dummy or Hellcat or really kept up with what's new in "punk" for years at all... the best I could offer there would be PUP.

Edited by Super-Pangolin, 29 March 2015 - 11:02 PM.

#3 Xenojay

Xenojay

Subliminal. Liminal. And Superliminal.

• Tester
  • 11920 posts
  • Steam ID:N/A
  • PSN:Xenojay
  • Wii:N/A
  • Xbox Live:Xenojay

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:46 AM

Can kinda mix these two. Starting with trip, Tricky put an album out recently! Ninja Tune are still a decent label to check out. Try Flying Lotus or anything from his label Brainfeeder (TOKiMONSTA is my fav). Maybe stuff like The Acid, Stateless, Little Dragon, Fever Ray... also maybe the downtempo RnB-influenced stuff like FKA twigs, James Blake, BANKS, Jamie Woon, SOHN, or The Weeknd? More electronic, you may like Burial, Grimes, SBTRKT, Mux Mool, Squarepusher...

F*cking AMMMMAAAZZZIIINNNGGGG selection...hnnnnnngggggg...

Also Wozza, why not play video games with soundtracks? I find awesome stuff in there all the time. Will never forget Saints Row: The Third because it helped me find The Dear Hunter who are amazing.

#4 argsy

argsy

aka Mr Grumpy

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 2010 posts
  • Steam ID:argsy_nz
  • PSN:argsy

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:11 AM

I have found Pandora pretty decent when trying to find some new artists of similar sound to the ones you like - if you rate either up or down the artist it increases or decreases the likelihood of playing that artist or similar again. Can be a bit hit and miss at times and seems to be becoming a bit more mainstream than when it first started but I've still found some new artists through it.

#5 I3ridgeI3urner

I3ridgeI3urner
  • PSN:I3ridgeI3urner
  • Xbox Live:SFX7

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

Loop Troop Rockers

#6 Super-Pangolin

Super-Pangolin
  • Steam ID:superpangolin
  • PSN:Super-Pangolin
  • Xbox Live:Super Pangolin

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

Also Wozza, why not play video games with soundtracks? I find awesome stuff in there all the time. Will never forget Saints Row: The Third because it helped me find The Dear Hunter who are amazing.

YES. Open-world games with a "radio" feature are f***ing fantastic for finding music... Saint's Row 2 & 3 provided me with a f***tonne of stuff, so did Sleeping Dogs. I would probably have gone down a totally different musical route with my life were it not for Skateboard Park Tycoon and Tony Hawk games as a kid.

#7 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5323 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:58 PM

Yeh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users