Photo

HDMI "No Signal" Problem

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ironfist92

ironfist92
  • PSN:ironfist92

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:55 AM

For some reason late last night my PS3 decided not to display anything on my TV. I tried a different HDMI cable, no results. I tried a different TV, same issue. I tried resetting the video MULTIPLE times, and still doesnt show anything. I've tried my SD AV cable and that shows SD resolution display on the TV. But whenever I try to switch over to HDMI, it still states "No Signal" on my Samsung TV.

Its not the TV, its not the HDMI cable, and its not the PS3 itself (as it shows video through AV, but not HDMI), so I dont know what the problem is, or how to fix it.

Any help, suggestions or solutions are welcome.

#2 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5921 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

Sounds like the PS3's HDMI port is f***ed... HDMI & standard AV cables use diff ports & video output so it's easily possible for 1 to work & not the other

#3 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10694 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

Check the display settings on the ps3.

I remember something like it having that issue if it was set to the wrong settings on the PS3.

If it's not that your hdmi port is probably parked like scuba said.

#4 ironfist92

ironfist92

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:06 PM

Any idea how much it costs to get it repaired by Sony? Warranty ended back in 2012.

#5 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5921 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

Any idea how much it costs to get it repaired by Sony? Warranty ended back in 2012.

they do a standard fee, used to be 250 not sure what it is now, be probably cheaper to find a av repair person willing to do it

#6 Killjoy

Killjoy

life is killing me👌

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Steam ID:Killjoy1690

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:22 AM

I've had the same thing happen many times before, I always fiddled with the HDMI cord and sometimes it would go but eventually it'd stop working.  Maybe try buying a new HDMI cord first, I can't even remember the number of those I've gone through on my PS3.  Ones from The Warehouse don't seem to last long, I bought a $3 HDMI cord on Ebay and it's lasted longer than any other one.

#7 ironfist92

ironfist92

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

they do a standard fee, used to be 250 not sure what it is now, be probably cheaper to find a av repair person willing to do it

Would it be safe to send it to third party to fix it tho? Because for that Price, might as well buy a new PS3.

#8 ironfist92

ironfist92

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

I've had the same thing happen many times before, I always fiddled with the HDMI cord and sometimes it would go but eventually it'd stop working.  Maybe try buying a new HDMI cord first, I can't even remember the number of those I've gone through on my PS3.  Ones from The Warehouse don't seem to last long, I bought a $3 HDMI cord on Ebay and it's lasted longer than any other one.

"I tried a different HDMI cable, no results."

#9 tuftsdude

tuftsdude
  • Steam ID:Tuftsdude
  • PSN:Tuftsdude
  • Xbox Live:Achedmars64

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

Try it on another t.v. A 1080p one if yours isn't. If it still doesn't work, then yeah, what Scuba said.

#10 Killjoy

Killjoy

life is killing me👌

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Steam ID:Killjoy1690

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

I know, just saying at least from my experience they don't seem to last long.  So that one could be broken too, try buying a NEW HDMI cable.

#11 xmorph

xmorph

Praise the Derp

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • Steam ID:Xen0m0rph3
  • PSN:GingerLeopard
  • Wii:Xen0m0rph3
  • Xbox Live:Xen0m0rph3

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

Did the problem occur after switching from AVI? I know that swtiching between the two sometimes requires you to hold the on/off button for a while for it to configure back to the other.

#12 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5921 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

Would it be safe to send it to third party to fix it tho? Because for that Price, might as well buy a new PS3.

at this stage in the game it's probably gonna be better to buy then fix, but that's just guessing as tech tend to charge 30-60/hr+

Could give Sony a call see what their fee is now, I wouldn't think it'd still be 250; that price was from back when PS3's were 600

#13 sheng_long

sheng_long

Super villain in training

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • PSN:Rautz_213
  • Xbox Live:Rautz213

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

If you remove and connect the HDMI cable quite frequently maybe some debris became lodged in the port and destroyed/damaged a pin? Take a look at the port and decide for yourself if it looks damaged. If it is then you can try straightening the pin or just acquire a dead motherboard from trademe and get someone to remove and then solder in the donor HDMI port.

If the port looks fine then it likely be the HDMI transmitter which is a chip in between the path running from RSX(PS3 graphics chip) to the hdmi port. You could look on trademe again for a motherboard to gain a donor transmitter chip but you would need to make sure you had the correct chip since there 2 different chips released.

If you can borrow a set of component cables give them a try and see if the 720p/1080i picture quality is good enough for you to warrant purchasing a set. Would be a cheap option compared to fixing or buying a new console

#14 ironfist92

ironfist92

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:18 AM

Try it on another t.v. A 1080p one if yours isn't. If it still doesn't work, then yeah, what Scuba said.

All 3 of my TVs are 1080p. It's been working fine on the same TV for over 2 years now. 

#15 ironfist92

ironfist92

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:19 AM

I know, just saying at least from my experience they don't seem to last long.  So that one could be broken too, try buying a NEW HDMI cable.

Ive got a HDMI cable from 6 months ago which works perfect for the PS4, but not with the PS3

#16 ironfist92

ironfist92

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

Did the problem occur after switching from AVI? I know that swtiching between the two sometimes requires you to hold the on/off button for a while for it to configure back to the other.

I never used AV beforehand. Its only when I went to AV after the problem started that I can only view the display from the AV cable, but not the HDMI.

#17 ironfist92

ironfist92

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

If you remove and connect the HDMI cable quite frequently maybe some debris became lodged in the port and destroyed/damaged a pin? Take a look at the port and decide for yourself if it looks damaged. If it is then you can try straightening the pin or just acquire a dead motherboard from trademe and get someone to remove and then solder in the donor HDMI port.

If the port looks fine then it likely be the HDMI transmitter which is a chip in between the path running from RSX(PS3 graphics chip) to the hdmi port. You could look on trademe again for a motherboard to gain a donor transmitter chip but you would need to make sure you had the correct chip since there 2 different chips released.

If you can borrow a set of component cables give them a try and see if the 720p/1080i picture quality is good enough for you to warrant purchasing a set. Would be a cheap option compared to fixing or buying a new console

Yeah, bought Component AV cables off TM as I figure no point spending all that money buying a new console or getting it fixed as I was hoping to finish all my PS3 games this year. If problems persist, I suppose I'll have to choose wither fix or replace.

Any other fixes helpful though, but I dont feel safe with all this technical modifications and soldering and whatnot. Would end up doing more damage than fixes.

#18 oh2bme

oh2bme

Average

• Members
  • 2613 posts
  • PSN:oh2bme
  • Xbox Live:SwimmingEmu3894

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

Is your cable into the ps3 more than 12 inches away from the tv? I remember back in the beginning of ps3 that it used to be a bit of a problem.

#19 ironfist92

ironfist92

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:16 PM

Is your cable into the ps3 more than 12 inches away from the tv? I remember back in the beginning of ps3 that it used to be a bit of a problem.

No, its right next to it. And it was working perfectly for the past two years, so not sure why it would start causing a problem now.

#20 oh2bme

oh2bme

Average

• Members
  • 2613 posts
  • PSN:oh2bme
  • Xbox Live:SwimmingEmu3894

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

That was the problem though one day it would be fine and the next there would be no signal there should be some info in the ps3 help thread but I can't find that thread. I just know that after moving the cable a certain distance it would sometimes fix the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users