#41 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3202 posts
  • PSN:rebskee

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

I come bearing more links to other blogs I frequent!

• Amuse Your Bouche - Vegetarian. Big fan of this blog, plus the author is from the UK so measurements/temperatures are what I'm used to and I don't have to awkwardly convert anything in the middle of cooking. She does handy monthly recipe round ups like this. The blog's tagline is "simple vegetarian recipes" which gets a thumbs up in my books  :thumbsup:
  • The Fig Tree - Vegetarian & vegan. Recipes inspired from worldwide cuisine! I think one of the great things about vegetarianism is the fact that it does introduce you to a lot of cuisine you'd maybe not try e.g. I've tried African soups, traditional Jewish stews and I probably wouldn't have even thought about trying them before. You can filter posts by country / ingredient / season etc. and also check out vegan recipes separately. I'm a stew fiend so here's something that caught my eye.
  • Yup It's Vegan - Vegan. Does what it says on the tin. Good range of accessible recipes.
  • Vegalicious - Vegetarian & vegan. It's a paid membership website if you want to remove ads or be able to download PDFs of the recipes, but other than that it's a decent little resource (I can't see that not being a member blocks you from anything?), broken up into meal and ingredient categories. Really simple step-by-step instructions - very foolproof that makes me feel confident that I won't screw anything up too badly, lol.
  • Beard + Bonnet - Vegetarian & gluten free. I'm guessing there's a few of you who eat GF as it's quite common nowadays, and there's some really good looking recipes on here. This is what lead me there, yet to try it but sounds gr8.
  • Damn Delicious - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I've used heaps of recipes from this blog (although it's not a strictly veg blog). Quick and easy meals, one pot meals, snacks, comfort food... you name it, it's here. She does good round ups of her recipes every so often - like this one. Or this one. A bit of ingredient swapping and substituting is needed to get things vegetarian or vegan, but I promise you it'll be worth it. 
  • Minimalist Baker - Often vegetarian, vegan or gluten free. I also really dig this blog - recipes are 10 ingredients or less! Look at this! And I just really love their photography, it's nooooice. 

I'm super hungry now after looking at all that food :P

#42 tom_nz

tom_nz
  • Steam ID:tom_nzl
  • PSN:tom_nzl
  • Xbox Live:Tom nz

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:33 AM

Damn Straw! So awesome!

I've added all the blogs to the OP. I've also put that rice pilaf in the recipes section too, have you got a little personal experience sentence to go next to it please?

#43 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• 12417 posts
  • PSN:foxymcstupid

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

nice one straw, i lost a good lookig onion gravy recipe in there somewhere though lol. looking forward to making it some point.

also feel like making breads n shiz. get pita, corn tortilla and chapati down next i think.

#44 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• Members
  • 3202 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:02 AM

friends got KFC + pizza tonight (kindly got a vege pizza for me)

I was super keen for the KFC gravy + mash but I figured their gravy prob has some chicken-y remnants in it so didn't have any but had a hard time explaining why to one of my friends - I said I figured it prob had animal products in it, so she said "are you vegan?" and I was like nah I just don't want meaty gravy, her: "doesn't that make you vegan?" me: "noooo I'm currently still eating cheese honey etc" her: "I'm confused, doesn't not eating gravy make you vegan? what happens if you eat meat? when I eat it I just digest it" me: "yes me too but I don't support the industries behind it blah blah"

idk does anyone have a simple way of explaining it?? like this friend's sister lives a "vegan lifestyle" yet still eats cheese so I think friend is a bit confused and I was/am too drunk to explain well :/
how do I avoid 101 questions about vegetarianism at social gatherings?? I literally told everyone it's my personal choice and left it at that bc I could tell some ppl were fishing for an argument

edit: tl;dr baby vege who has evolved from vege for health reasons to vege for ethical reasons (+ is now a wannabe vegan) doesn't know what to say when ppl ask "why"

Edited by strawpeople, 23 November 2014 - 01:03 AM.

#45 Antmannz

Antmannz
  • Steam ID:SirAntmannz
  • Xbox Live:Antmannz

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:01 AM

friends got KFC + pizza tonight (kindly got a vege pizza for me)

I was super keen for the KFC gravy + mash but I figured their gravy prob has some chicken-y remnants in it so didn't have any but had a hard time explaining why to one of my friends - I said I figured it prob had animal products in it, so she said "are you vegan?" and I was like nah I just don't want meaty gravy, her: "doesn't that make you vegan?" me: "noooo I'm currently still eating cheese honey etc" her: "I'm confused, doesn't not eating gravy make you vegan? what happens if you eat meat? when I eat it I just digest it" me: "yes me too but I don't support the industries behind it blah blah"

idk does anyone have a simple way of explaining it?? like this friend's sister lives a "vegan lifestyle" yet still eats cheese so I think friend is a bit confused and I was/am too drunk to explain well :/
how do I avoid 101 questions about vegetarianism at social gatherings?? I literally told everyone it's my personal choice and left it at that bc I could tell some ppl were fishing for an argument

edit: tl;dr baby vege who has evolved from vege for health reasons to vege for ethical reasons (+ is now a wannabe vegan) doesn't know what to say when ppl ask "why"

Your tldr is the perfect explanation. Perhaps with a wee extrapolation on why the current food is a no go; eg. KFC gravy likely has chicken in it.

#46 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• Members
  • 3202 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:25 AM

i tried to tell my friend that but she was like "can't you eat it though? it's not ACTUALLY meat"

despite me trying to tell her that it probably had meat in it she just didn't understand lol, I didn't think it was that hard a concept to grasp *flips table*

Edited by strawpeople, 23 November 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#47 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5918 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

Just FYI; KFC gravy hasn't had chicken in it for years now

I know this isn't the point of your post but it might help with future encounters with the gravy

#48 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5200 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:31 AM

I have a hard time explaining it to myself sometimes! "Vegetarians" and "vegans" can't really be pigoenholed - it's more of a sliding scale with many different kinds of people on it.

#49 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5200 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

and also the whole weird crossover between anti-cruelty vegans, health diet vegans and people who just don't like eating or using animal products. It's all pretty weird how everyone has their own reasons and rules.

I noticed today that one particular brand of white vinegar (I was shopping for cake ingredients, not having much baking basics in the cupboards) was derived from milk products, which was a surprise to me. Internet tells me it's usually wheat or corn based, but I guess NZ is a bit special.

Anyway my Vegan Gingerbread Pear Bundt Cake with Caramel Sauce is in the oven and I am looking forward to trying it. Baking is weird.

#50 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• Members
  • 3202 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

yeah I honestly thought that "I'm vegetarian" would cover it but the amount of people who keep trying to give me chicken to eat?!? did something change and is chicken suddenly not meat idk

there's so many bundt cakes i want to make but I no longer have a bundt tin! I hope that turns out fab coz it looks and sounds super awesome

oh and PSA - on KFC NZ's allergens list, I was surprised to see that their chips contain traces of crustaceans/molluscs! how! why!

#51 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5918 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:28 PM

yeah I honestly thought that "I'm vegetarian" would cover it but the amount of people who keep trying to give me chicken to eat?!? did something change and is chicken suddenly not meat idk

oh and PSA - on KFC NZ's allergens list, I was surprised to see that their chips contain traces of crustaceans/molluscs! how! why!

It's probably because being "vegetarian" has long been a "health craze" only most peoples version of "vegetarian" included chicken & fish

Weird on the chips tho, if it helps to know they're Mr Chips chips cooked in Canola-Sunflower oil only thing not "off the shelf" is the chicken salt... so maybee it's part of that flavour?

#52 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5200 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

Yah maybe the processing plant which freezes and bags the potatoes also freezes and bags shrimp or something.

dunno about vege chickens.

#53 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12417 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:40 PM

made veg fajitas tonight. were pretty good!

#54 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• Members
  • 3202 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:01 PM

went to Hector's at the Heritage (Auckland city) which is really well known as a good vegan/veg restaurant - I think it was even voted best vegan restaurant in Oceania?

but like, half the veg was served with the meat... I don't want to eat veges swimming in bloody juices or rolling around with chicken :/ I was really disappointed in how they served the stuff :(

the stuff I did have was really nice though! + maybe it was just a bit funny coz it was xmas, maybe the normal dinners are laid out better...? (but tbh, if you were vegan you'd probably be going hungry after that xmas dinner)

just a heads up in case anyone is looking for vegan restaurants!

#55 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• Members
  • 3202 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

I've invited my parents around for dinner tomorrow night and was telling my workmates this when discussing long weekend plans - cue "omg but they're not vegetarian, how will they eat??", "don't you have to cook meat for them though??" etc. If you accept an invitation to eat at my house, you're gonna be eating vegetarian food, and that's not reaaaaaaally a big deal and not going to harm you. It's 2015 and people still think it's all flavourless slop or something? People were acting as if my parents are going to be experiencing some sort of hardship by having me cook and prepare dinner for them...

For the record, this is what I'm serving:

Lebanese lemon-parsley bean salad

Skinny alfredo penne pasta

+ gonna chuck something together like stewed rhubarb/apple and ice cream or something ('cept soy ice cream = $$$$$$$)

Why do people think I only eat sh*t like lentils 24/7 ;_______;

#56 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12417 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:10 PM

...i like lentils. last night i combind the following recipes along with alterations and my own chili con queso and made 16 burritos. there are surprisingly still some left.

Mexican Rice, Black Beans (w/ only 5 cups water added), tortillas served with a side of pickled onions.

#57 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• Members
  • 3202 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, I love lentils too! but people are so overly concerned about what I eat or ask me what "weird" thing I'm eating today now that I'm vegetarian (whereas I thought it was supposed to be the vegetarian that was obnoxious about food lmao)

ooo black bean recipe looks good - i'm yet to find dried black beans tho :/

#58 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5200 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

Ohhhhh burritos... I'm hungry now.

I have been meaning to look up how to soak and cook beans myself too; it's got to be a lot cheaper (and better?) than buying them canned.

I think normal people think soy ice cream tastes gross.

#59 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12417 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

i'm yet to find dried black beans tho :/

i find mine at moore wilsons, which is like more of a food warehouse kind of deal (not sure if you have em at yours).

I have been meaning to look up how to soak and cook beans myself too; it's got to be a lot cheaper (and better?) than buying them canned.

for $6 i got a kilo of black beans, which make two big pots. cooking them is super easy, and no brine or whatevs involved if you care about that kind of thing.

#60 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5200 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:27 PM

I care about nutritional value, taste, convenience, cost and a lack of cruelty involved... I've never heard of caring about brine, aside from a general awareness that less sodium may be beneficial, in general. I should so get black beans, I could smash a pot of them after a good run or bike ride.

I have eight enchiladas in the oven right now, gonna smash them too. Vege hulk is in the house! Well, in the kitchen really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users