#21 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3202 posts
  • PSN:rebskee

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

Here's some links to share with anyone who has some time on their hands/wants to look at pretty food pictures :D

General food websites I check nearly daily:

• Oh My Veggies - vegetarian and vegan recipes, and a great 'potluck' section which is essentially reader contributed recipes. Potluck links go to the author's blog, so it's a great way to find more veg blogs to follow. They have tips and general knowledge stuff that can help out baby veges, too.
  • Yummly - not exclusively veg. Huge site that is essentially a database of a whole heap of recipes on the web. I've signed up so I can save things to my collections and so that any results are tailored for me (e.g. I only get vegetarian results). I use it a lot to search by ingredient - really helpful if I have heaps of something that I wanna use up, or am thinking if a combo will work, or just where to go starting with "broad beans" and then filtering with "breakfast" or "lunch". It's even has drinks, so you can work on your bartender game.
  • Food52 - not exclusively veg. Nice little articles, links, recipes, products/homewares. Recipes are sorted by collections (often user-created, so no two collections will be the same). They have weekly column of veg/vegan food, but it can take a little bit of digging to find some stuff, but this has never worried me coz half the fun is getting distracted by pretty food photos and finding unexpected inspiration.
  • The Kitchn - not exclusively veg. One of the first foodie websites I started following. I rely on it a lot for tips and hints and just general knowledge. I like their spotlight articles on certain ingredients and the community seems really helpful in answering questions. Sister site is Apartment Therapy which promotes house envy but is still nice to browse :D
  • Healthy Food Guide - I use a lot of their recipes as starting points, also has interesting and relevant articles and product reviews etc., as it is a New Zealand magazine/site. If you're looking to lose weight or improve health, I think that the nutritionists they have writing for them have some really great sensible advice and there is a whole wealth of articles, incl. quite a few about veg-related stuff (e.g. help my teenager is becoming vegetarian!), and recipes that address gluten intolerances and other allergies.

Blogs I like to creep on:

• Budget Bytes - not exclusively veg, but has some really amazing basic recipes (one pot pastas! Yes! Whoever invented one pot meals is awesome)! Recipes are typically basic enough to be easily customisable and there is a 'vegetarian' tag. I love this blog so much that I'm seriously considering buying her book. This is one of the recipes that I fell in love with.
  • Finding Vegan - nice little vegan recipe database (recipes link back to original author's blog). Handy to search and just look through and cry over the mouthwatering photos. I think they do a monthly digest newsletter.
  • Post Punk Kitchen - if you don't know who Isa Chandra is then we need to have a little chat. Accessible vegan cooking presented with a sense of humour (because it is a big, scary leap at first when you realise that, no way - there's no eggs or dairy or anything??? Maybe no white sugar?!?) from a super badass lady. Her cookbook, Isa Does It, is frickin' amazing and beautiful and big and has the best ever curried peanut sauce recipe in it. She taught me how to prep and cook tofu :')
  • Oh She Glows - pretty well known vegan blog. Lots of GF recipes, too.
  • Love and Lemons - primarily vegetarian or vegan recipes. Very pretty. Makes me jealous that my food never looks that good.

I obviously really enjoying thinking about food :P sorry some of the links aren't to veg only sites, but it's easy to chop and change recipes that are meaty, or just filter them out via tags etc.

edit: I just remembered I follow a few vegan blogs on tumblr! I'll have a look when I can be bothered and post links to those too :) 

Edited by strawpeople, 04 November 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#22 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5203 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:42 PM

Thanks so much for this thread! I am an ultra lazy vege, normally living on avocado toast or hummus sandwiches, so simple, convenient vegan recipes are a life saver. :)

Currently enjoying a vegan burger from Velvet Burger here in chch - they do two-for-one Tuesdays. Everyone wins.

#23 supermario

supermario

Hail Xenu!

• Members
  • 9413 posts
  • Steam ID:BanalityDUFF

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:02 PM

• Post Punk Kitchen - if you don't know who Isa Chandra is then we need to have a little chat. Accessible vegan cooking presented with a sense of humour (because it is a big, scary leap at first when you realise that, no way - there's no eggs or dairy or anything??? Maybe no white sugar?!?) from a super badass lady. Her cookbook, Isa Does It, is frickin' amazing and beautiful and big and has the best ever curried peanut sauce recipe in it. She taught me how to prep and cook tofu :')

as a very happy owner of the veganomicon, vegan cupcakes take over the world and vegan cookies invade your cookie jar I can attest to this lady knowing how to deliver deliciousness.

if you can get hold of gluten flour (not flour with gluten, but flour that is 100% gluten) then i highly recommend the Chickpea Cutlets from the Veganominicon (just google veganominicon chickpea cutlets because the internet is awesome and most of the recipes are online these days).

and would pretend that i'm going to look at your guys links but i totally wont. i just google food based on what i have in my fridge at the time :D

#24 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12418 posts
  • PSN:foxymcstupid

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

We're gonna get some hens (3 or 4), egg problem solved. Going to get hens saved from battery farms so feel like that will be doing double goodness.

jealous, id love a few chooks. just dont have a fence and live in a poor neighbourhood, so therefore have a roaming dog issue.

#25 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12418 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:44 PM

well, feel like playing with food so will be making a spring tabouleh, and trying this recipe.

also, doing some online shopping:

Search results for "vegan"

You might like... Dilmah Tea Leaves Ceylon Vaccum Pack 250g

pretty much what i expected from countdown porirua.

#26 tom_nz

tom_nz
  • Steam ID:tom_nzl
  • PSN:tom_nzl
  • Xbox Live:Tom nz

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:52 PM

Oh damn! That's a bit rough. Do the stores update their online inventories themselves?

Chickens are very easy to look after. Just give them enough space and they pretty much look after themselves. The roaming dogs thing is a bit tricky though. We've got two chickens at the moment. They're pretty funny. Just watching them is like watching a mini T-Rex or something. It's the little things. Haha.

#27 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12418 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

Oh damn! That's a bit rough. Do the stores update their online inventories themselves?

no idea. all good, we usually work with *relatively* common ingredients, but if we need anything specific my gf works in town and i can send her on a commonsnse organics run. want me some savoury yeast flakes dammit!

#28 tom_nz

tom_nz
  • Steam ID:tom_nzl
  • PSN:tom_nzl
  • Xbox Live:Tom nz

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

I wonder what Cambridge will be like for catering to almost vegans. Definitely not far from Hamilton so if we need anything we can just go for a tiki tour or I can pick it up before, during or after work.

#29 tuftsdude

tuftsdude
  • Steam ID:Tuftsdude
  • PSN:Tuftsdude
  • Xbox Live:Achedmars64

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:40 PM

I'm not exactly vegetarian, but borderline I guess. I don't eat chicken, fish, pork. Only (shish) kebab cause its the only thing thats tastes nice. Any other meat, I'll probably puke. Family only eats halal meat.

Also, when it comes to food, I'm not fussy at all. Eat rice pretty much everyday. Eggs in the morning, sometimes skip dinner, but I'm never fussy about food.

Edited by tuftsdude, 06 November 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#30 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• Members
  • 3202 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:04 AM

Does anyone know where you can get tempeh other than the cruelty free shop?

#31 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12418 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:26 AM

you can find it in some new worlds by the tofu.

#32 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• Members
  • 3202 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:53 AM

you can find it in some new worlds by the tofu.
ah, okay - I never look at the tofu at the supermarket coz I buy mine at fruit world but I'll have a look today!

#33 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12418 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

https://www.cookiped...pinach_stew_(V)

tried this tonight, was a solid dish! i upped the cumin and added some lemon juice and diced tomato, just needed some cream and more flat leaf parsley. super healthy, cheap, and mostly made of store cupboard items. im sold.

#34 Rapidity

Rapidity

• [NZGR] - Clan Killzone 2
  • 2320 posts
  • PSN:Cruise_Elroy
  • Xbox Live:Cruise Elroy

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

https://www.cookiped...pinach_stew_(V)

tried this tonight, was a solid dish! i upped the cumin and added some lemon juice and diced tomato, just needed some cream and more flat leaf parsley. super healthy, cheap, and mostly made of store cupboard items. im sold.

That is definitely going on the menu for next week!

Here's one of my fav's lentil lasagne
Also if anyone's looking for a healthy snack, I've been roasting chickpea's lately. They're so much tastier and healthier than peanuts.

#35 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12418 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

so moore wilsons doesnt have nutritional yeast either. looks like im off to commonsense...

#36 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• Members
  • 3202 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:35 AM

so moore wilsons doesnt have nutritional yeast either. looks like im off to commonsense...

do you have a Hardy's health store near you? they have it in the downtown centre one here in AKL, I think it's $16 for a little box or something

#37 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12418 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:13 AM

do you have a Hardy's health store near you? they have it in the downtown centre one here in AKL, I think it's $16 for a little box or something

ooo we do. good idea straw thanks!

#38 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Undeniably Caffienated.

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 2218 posts
  • PSN:DocChrisNZ

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:10 AM

Another favourite of mine is the falafel fajitas from Jamie Oliver which can be made vegan if you find an alternative for the cottage cheese topping. 

http://www.jamieoliv...lled-veg-salsa/

Nice, healthy and relatively fast. I do however find that with 15 or 30 minute recipe book you end up doubling the pre and cleanup times than normal meals!

#39 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5203 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

I made a previously mentioned moroccan chickpea spinach stew. It was as easy to prepare (dice onion, open cans, cook) and as tasty as the photos looked! I am impressed and kind of wondering why I don't cook properly more often. :king:  Thanks, ohmyveggies.com.

Oh yah and even with mostly canned ingredients it came out to around $7.50 all up, for what would be two huge servings with rice. Yah pretty decent.

Edited by emetic, 14 November 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#40 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12418 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:03 AM

I made a previously mentioned moroccan chickpea spinach stew. It was as easy to prepare (dice onion, open cans, cook) and as tasty as the photos looked! I am impressed and kind of wondering why I don't cook properly more often. :king:  Thanks, ohmyveggies.com.

nice, i did a similar one recently, and will definitely be making it again. gotta say, its a pretty sweet site man! will br trying a few of those recipes - got my eye on the onion gravy one first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users