RACE BANYON
RATKING
ROYAL BLOOD
RUSTIE
SOHN
ST VINCENT
TINY RUINS
VIC MENSA

Never been to a Laneway before (hate myself for it too, having missed Feist, M83 & Chvrches) but there's no way in hell I'm passing this one up.

Anybody else considering going? Anybody else COMPLETELY f***ing stoked and still waiting to wake up from this dream?

http://auckland.lane...estival.com.au/

Edited by Super-Pangolin, 05 January 2015 - 08:58 PM.

#2 Discordia

Discordia

SmashKing

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 764 posts
  • PSN:Banzai777
  • Wii:DiscordianFate

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

Yasssssssssssss to BANKS, Little Dragon and Lykke Li....

Don't care about the rest,

#3 strawpeople

strawpeople

trash queen

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3202 posts
  • PSN:rebskee

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

I just want to see flylo tho........... but $$$

#4 Super-Pangolin

Super-Pangolin
  • Steam ID:superpangolin
  • PSN:Super-Pangolin
  • Xbox Live:Super Pangolin

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

Little Dragon and Lykke Li....

Pretty much exactly who I'm shitting my pants for, also St. Vincent & FKA Twigs.

Banks & Flying Lotus I will definitely check out, and will probably see Jakob again cause they're a fantastic NZ band.

Don't care about the rest,

I am not making this mistake... give each artist on the lineup a small listen, cause chances are you may actually really enjoy some of them. Happened to me with Chvrches, M83 & HAIM after their Laneway appearances of past, when it was too late  :hmm:

#5 Super-Pangolin

Super-Pangolin

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

Flying Lotus should be interesting at least - a friend linked me this. Trippy sh*t

#6 Syn-Ryn

Syn-Ryn

Scrublord

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• 8278 posts
  • Steam ID:steamcommunity.com/id/MADSUPERVILLAIN
  • Xbox Live:Blale

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:04 PM

There are very few artists I'd like to see live more than FlyLo.

St Vincent, Little Dragon, Lykke Li and Vic Mensa make for a pretty damn good lineup. Nowhere near as goods as this years though, imo.

#7 pullabuckie

pullabuckie
  • Steam ID:Pullabuckie
  • PSN:Pullabuckie
  • Xbox Live:PullABuckie

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:35 PM

I'm pretty stoked about the line-up bit gutted Raury isn't making it over to NZ, I wana see Ratking, Vic Mensa, Flylo, Sohn, Jon Hopkins, Jungle, Little Dragon again, Rustie and Royal Blood. Hopefully I manage to but they will most likely clash.

#8 Chris Redfield

Chris Redfield

Don't stop now I am make cumming.

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 18074 posts
  • Steam ID:Nims_is_te_Man
  • Wii:666
  • Xbox Live:lol nah

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:48 PM

Perfect Pussy guys, f***ing rad band. 

#9 Sp3kt0r

Sp3kt0r

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:02 PM

FlyLo, Vic Mensa and Ratking aghh. If Chance was going it would be perfect. Actually considering going again!

#10 Super-Pangolin

Super-Pangolin

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

Perfect Pussy guys, f***ing rad band. 

Haha I've heard good things... may have been from you actually. They're another on the radar.

#11 EonKid

EonKid

The Chef

• NZGamer.com VIP Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • PSN:X-KittyOnCrack-X
  • Xbox Live:HolsteredKnight

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:20 AM

Sweet line-up. I'd be pretty keen on seeing Jakob, Perfect Pussy and Royal Blood but I can't justify paying all that for 3 bands. So I'm gonna stick with Westfest, more bang my buck.

#12 PotatoLegs

PotatoLegs
  • Steam ID:Postindirty
  • Xbox Live:POOVOM69

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

Westfest? yuck. 

Laneways will be boss; there's plenty of stuff to draw me, and more for me to explore and discover. 

Perfect Pussy, Lykke Li, St Vincent and Jakob ftw

STOAKED

Edited by PotatoLegs, 21 October 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#13 PotatoLegs

PotatoLegs
  • Steam ID:Postindirty
  • Xbox Live:POOVOM69

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

oh and Eagulls yeuh yeuh yeuh

#14 Super-Pangolin

Super-Pangolin

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:21 AM

God damn, I went and listened to all the artists and bought/pirated a bunch of albums... am now stoked as hell to see BANKS, Rustie, Flying Lotus, Perfect Pussy, Mac DeMarco, Jon Hopkins, Ratking and Eagulls as well as the afformentioned FKA twigs, Lykke Li, Jakob, Little Dragon and St. Vincent.

What are the timetables usually like? What are the chances of clashes?

#15 Super-Pangolin

Super-Pangolin

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

NO MORE LYKKE LI

;~;

Dan Deacon, Iceage and Ariel Pink instead... eh

#16 AudaciousGnome

AudaciousGnome

Trigger me Timbers

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6651 posts
  • Steam ID:AudaciousGnome
  • PSN:AudaciousGnome

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

Royal Blood! Worth the price of admission alone.

#17 Super-Pangolin

Super-Pangolin

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

Their live performance always looks kinda... boring

#18 Super-Pangolin

Super-Pangolin

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

Well that was... a day.

Perfect Pussy: sounded shite. Kinda assumed they'd sound a bit like they do recorded, since their recordings sound like other bands do live... but it was just reverberating fuzz & feedback with a drumbeat, nothing much to actually listen to. And I'm pretty sure I recognized half the drum patterns, just couldn't be certain of the songs cause everything else was indiscernible. I know they love their noise, but they tried WAY too hard. Came off as pretentious - fans were complaining to the sound desk that nobody could hear sh*t and apparently they were responding with "that's how they want to sound".

Mac DeMarco: good, chill vibes, and entertainingly weird. Seems like a genuinely cool guy. Sounded a bit less psychedelic live, more raw rock n roll, but was still all good and dat live bass made it more danceable. Played some damn good songs, and got the power shut off right before his final chorus (he'd been going too long) so they kept playing anyway and he gestured the crowd to help him sing out the end (which we did, suck it management). Len Brown endorsed.

Rustie: I feel like somewhere in this guy there's an intelligent composer & producer. But I don't know if he's a bit of a dudebro himself, or if he just knows that's hip and sells well, because he panders to the brostep crowd too much. Still, when he played his really funky, 80's-synthy wonky stuff it was awesome.

Jon Hopkins: wasn't expecting to be at the front for this, but the ladyfriend wanted to secure a spot at the barrier for Banks. Still, kinda glad I was cause I got to appreciate the art of live electronics (I'm sure Rustie was embarrassed getting schooled by a veteran producer) and how complicated and precise everything he did was. Bass & beat were the focus and there was less of his ambient side, but that was to be expected. There was a decent crowd and people kept whooping EVERY time it went quiet, and he would look up with this silly grin that said "wtf why are these people so excited it's just me". Crowd was having a good time which made him have a good time which made us all have a better time.

Banks: probably highlight of the day. Mix was WAY too quiet and some dumb b*tches next to me thought it was karaoke night and had to scream all the words and keep drowning her out, but what I could hear was phenomenal. I wasn't expecting her to be so good live, and for the emotion of the recording to traverse to a live setting so well. She was all serious & sombre (as the music would suggest) until a couple songs in where she paused to say a few words... but was stopped in her tracks by an apeshit crowd that refused to stop whooping, screaming and celebrating. She clearly wasn't expecting hundreds/thousands of people in NZ to give a sh*t, and was taken aback with a sweet little embarrassed smile... she looked like she was about to burst into tears. She was so stoked & humble, and that set the tone for what continued to be a fantastic set (she played ALL THE BEST STUFF). She exited the stage to roaring fanfare, and left off saying something along the lines of "New Zealand, you're my f***ing favourite!"

Sohn: was full. Sadface. Sat outside and could almost hear some but it wasn't worth staying for.

Little Dragon: packed the sh*t out of that stage area. This was the point I became disillusioned and realised how shitty Laneway is and how shitty a venue Silo Park is, because even though we got there to see them start we were f***ing MILES away and couldn't see sh*t for the goddamned silos and trees and people standing on benches. Had to make do with that giant screen broadcasting the live performance down the street, and even though we were hearing the performance live first-hand it's just not the same unless you can witness it too. I only have a couple albums so they played mostly stuff I didn't know, and we left after a half-hourish to get to twigs.

FKA twigs: ladyfriend's friends were out of it, and dragged us deep into the pit... in that awkward spot where you're not close enough to get a good view, but close enough that you can't see sh*t for the giant f***ers and hand waving. The pitfalls of a shitty crowd aside, twigs was kinda excellent. Her 3-piece band with a bunch of electronic tech managed to capture the experience of her recorded production quite well, and she herself was a better performer live than I was expecting. Seemed to do a bunch of misc. interludes and stuff from EPs I didn't know, but got Pendulum and Two Weeks, so cool.

St. Vincent: showed up late having finished up twigs, but managed to get closer than we did for Little Dragon (and were able to keep edging our way closer). Must've had about a half hour with her in which she only played one song I knew and could sing along to (Cheerleader... damn I needed to get that latest album), but even the stuff I didn't know was hugely enjoyable. More danceable and heavy than I was expecting (kinda like DeMarco), and she performs flawlessly live. Not much crowd interaction but still enjoyable, good way to see the night off.

Would have loved to see Jakob (again), Sohn, Eagulls and Ratking but they clashed with other stuff. Will probably just go see FlyLo on Wednesday night.

EDIT: am definitely seeing FlyLo tomorrow night.

EDIT EDIT: Flying Lotus 28/01 side show: legit, holy crap. Better than I was expecting. Music sounded great, visuals were mesmerizing and he's just a good-humored, entertaining guy. Got nearly a whole hour & a half to himself, glad I missed him for St. Vincent at Laneway cause I'm sure this was a better show.

Edited by Super-Pangolin, 29 January 2015 - 12:10 AM.

#19 birdman

birdman

[NZGR]

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4064 posts
  • PSN:quackdog

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

Nice man, sure jealous of that line up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users