• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MrThankYou-

MrThankYou-
  • Members
  • 126 posts
  • PSN:MrThankYou-

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

So what do people think of SAO. Im currently on week to week and all i can think is how cool would the VR system be with a Destiny style game. 

#2 Silvon

Silvon
  • Steam ID:Silvonvalar
  • PSN:Valarze

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

I love SAO, definitely an anime I make sure to watch every week.  It would be amazing to have a VR system like that, but until then I'll just enjoy SAO, really loving the latest arc.

#3 PandaJenkins

PandaJenkins

Otherwise known as 'Pandy Wandy'

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 6123 posts
  • Steam ID:Pandajenkees
  • PSN:Pandajenkins
  • Xbox Live:Panda Jenkins

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

I'm one of the few people who thinks it is terrible, but I dunno it's ridiculously popular. I'm sure you don't want to hear me rant about it ahaha.

I think VR in a game like that is way too impossible to consider atm. I can see why people are appealed by the idea but I'm mainly keen to see what comes out of VR in the next few years (within realistic expectations)

#4 acedumbunny

acedumbunny

For science.

• Members
  • 3463 posts
  • Steam ID:Acedumbunny
  • PSN:Acedumbunny
  • Xbox Live:Acedumbunny

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

The SAO abridged series is one of my favourite abridged series.

#5 Littlelah

Littlelah
  • PSN:Lah-Lah4

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:26 PM

I love SAO, i'm up to date at the moment

#6 Silvon

Silvon

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:53 AM

I'm one of the few people who thinks it is terrible, but I dunno it's ridiculously popular. I'm sure you don't want to hear me rant about it ahaha.

I think VR in a game like that is way too impossible to consider atm. I can see why people are appealed by the idea but I'm mainly keen to see what comes out of VR in the next few years (within realistic expectations)

I'm really excited as well to see what we can realistically do with VR in the near future, but the idea of full immersion like SAO is still a rather exciting notion.  

Without starting you on a rant, what is it about SAO that puts you off the most?  I know a few people who dislike SAO for various reasons, just curious why you do. :)

#7 PandaJenkins

PandaJenkins

Otherwise known as 'Pandy Wandy'

• Members
  • 6123 posts
  • Steam ID:Pandajenkees
  • PSN:Pandajenkins
  • Xbox Live:Panda Jenkins

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:25 AM

I'm really excited as well to see what we can realistically do with VR in the near future, but the idea of full immersion like SAO is still a rather exciting notion.

Without starting you on a rant, what is it about SAO that puts you off the most? I know a few people who dislike SAO for various reasons, just curious why you do. :)
Bad writing is my biggest peeve with a lot of anime. The character writing In SAO is particularly bad. The author implemented some poor ideas to try and make Kirito essentially not a Mary Sue (Gary Stu or whatever).

The series on a whole pretty much is written as a teenage boys fantasy (and why I was not surprised to find out the author came up with the story in High school). I stopped half way through and heard many things about what it does to get worse later on....

#8 Silvon

Silvon

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

Bad writing is my biggest peeve with a lot of anime. The character writing In SAO is particularly bad. The author implemented some poor ideas to try and make Kirito essentially not a Mary Sue (Gary Stu or whatever).

The series on a whole pretty much is written as a teenage boys fantasy (and why I was not surprised to find out the author came up with the story in High school). I stopped half way through and heard many things about what it does to get worse later on....

That's fair, there's a few things with some of the character writing I've had some issues with, and I can understand your view on the rest of what you mentioned.

I haven't heard or seen anything about what happens later on, I'm enjoying it at the moment though so hopefully it doesn't get so bad that I'll have to stop haha.

#9 darkap

darkap

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

I rekon once they get the equipment for thought controlled robots better and alot cheaper, someone will try make VR gaming with it. All they'll have to do is instead of the thought controlling the robot it would control the character rig in the game and combined that with something like the oculus rift and you'll pretty much have SAO. Something like that will take quite some time to develop though. And im guessing it would take a long time to calibrate to be able to get into the game. Im not really sure how thought control stuff works but pretty much you have to think about moving something a certain way and then it copies your thought pattern and so when you repeat it that will trigger the robot to move. So you'd have to go a think about moving each individual body part to calibrate it first.

As for the anime, I liked the story at first but now I just watch it for the fight scenes.

#10 oconnomiyaki

oconnomiyaki

Iconoclast

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 3759 posts
  • PSN:Donutta
  • Xbox Live:oconnomiyaki

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

Thread necro, but I'm thinking about getting back into this. Just a couple of things bugged me. The whole incest angle and the fact they totally nerfed Asuna from kick-ass stomper to someone who literally cooks for the hero and then needs rescuing in the second act. I mean people should know I'm not any kind of raging SJW but that just felt sooooo wrong and really unnecessary. I mean she's the best character, far better than bloody Kirito, and they basically made her his b*tch. :angry:

#11 Silvon

Silvon

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

Thread necro, but I'm thinking about getting back into this. Just a couple of things bugged me. The whole incest angle and the fact they totally nerfed Asuna from kick-ass stomper to someone who literally cooks for the hero and then needs rescuing in the second act. I mean people should know I'm not any kind of raging SJW but that just felt sooooo wrong and really unnecessary. I mean she's the best character, far better than bloody Kirito, and they basically made her his b*tch. :angry:

I can definitely see why you feel like that about Asuna, but she gets back to being pretty kick-ass later on.  The most recent arc features Asuna a lot more than Kirito and shows just how awesome she is again.  

Something to keep in mind with Asuna is that in the first two arcs you see two completely different sides of her.  In the first arc you see who she became out of necessity and in the second what she became after everything she went through at the end of the first arc.  

If her character stayed helpless and dependent on Kirito after the second arc I would have been irritated about it too but as the story goes on you'll see more about her character development and more about her life outside of VR games and she definitely continues being an awesome character.

That's my opinion on it anyway!

#12 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5201 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:00 PM

I havent seen it, is it good?

#13 citysoldier

citysoldier
  • Steam ID:Citysoldier01
  • PSN:Citysoldier

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:16 PM

Look up and you will get an impression.  Watch it.  Its not for everyone but most will probably enjoy it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users