• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan
  • Steam ID:Monkeyman_707
  • PSN:Monkeyman_707
  • Xbox Live:MonkeyManRacing

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

Basically Motorsport is my favourite thing in life so why not chat to all you guys about it

This thread is for any king of actual racing and racing games so just jump in with anything about any kind of motorsport.

Hopefully it doesn't end up with just me posting but ill start us off...

Bloody McLaughlin is a champ, gutted that fool in a Nissan took him out yesterday I wanted to see the battle between those two and the dominating red bull cars.

And speaking of kiwis doing well Hadden Paddon is representing us well in the WRC. Hopefully he can Finnish strong in finland  (pun intended :lol: )

Any one else here follow motorsport? Or even compete themselves?

#2 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5924 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

I like watching, don't really follow tho; was thinking about racing decided couldn't afford, still considering maybee one day have the vehicle but need some gear & then there's the ongoing costs... but LOVE driving, will become an "outlaw" when they ban manually controlled vehicles & occasionally get down to watch the local races (when I can get up early enough & the boys sorted)

#3 sakuraba

sakuraba

I know what you did last summer

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1521 posts
  • PSN:subtime
  • Xbox Live:subtime

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

I dont really get into motorsport as in the actual lap racing but love hearing when kiwis are doing well like that kid that gave it some jandal driving the volvo in the v8`s. Now drag racing thats what i love any tuned skyline or supercharged old school ss camaro or dodge charger now that makes my knees wobbly. I used to be really anti muscle cars till i went to meremere and watched the imports vs the v8s and saw and heard for myself how fast and reliable a v8 can be. Id still buy a gtr if i won lotto though haha.

#4 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

Man that v8 race made me sad.
I support McLaughlin who got a flat tyre.
I also support Winterbottom who got a flat tyre :/
Good to see someone beating the red bulls though. And the nissans looking competitive. I love some close racing

#5 Knightrider

Knightrider
  • PSN:KnightRider_69
  • Xbox Live:InfamousGamerNZ

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

I like going to drags and drifting events , wish I had a race car to compete still attend meet ups and crusies from time to time

#6 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

Gutted that hadden padden keeps having problems.
On for 6th then power steering issues drop him to 8th, must of been bloody hard driving a wrc without proper power steering.
I really want to see haddeb paddon do well. Bring on rally australia

#7 ArchSerpo

ArchSerpo
  • Steam ID:ArchSerpo
  • PSN:ArchSerpo

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

Mitch Evans and Richie Stanaway are doing well in the GP2/GP3 too. Always some good racing in those series

#8 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Always following Mitch Evens as I went to school with him. Good to see him getting wins in gp2 :)

#9 YobboNZ

YobboNZ

Punk's not dead.

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Steam ID:Yobbo NZ
  • PSN:Yobbo_NZ
  • Xbox Live:Yobbo NZ

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:03 PM

I used to compete for 10 years, gave up 8 years ago.
Just club events, using mainly my roadcar and on some occasions, my brother's rally car when he was feeling generous. I gave up due to losing interest and the cost was getting too high.I looked up the Canterbury car club website a few weeks back and saw that speed events,which is what I mainly used to do, is up to $120! When I started, they were $30.I've started to get some interest back in motorsport again,but I don't think I'll be competing again unless I win lotto.

Edited by YobboNZ, 09 August 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#10 ArchSerpo

ArchSerpo

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

Did anyone else watch the Formula E race? Bloody stupid swerve by Prost cutting Heidfeld off coming up to the last corner of the race... Glad to see he's okay, could've been much much worse

http://gfycat.com/Re...icHypacrosaurus

Edited by ArchSerpo, 13 September 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#11 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5924 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:17 AM

Did anyone else watch the Formula E race? Bloody stupid swerve by Prost cutting Heidfeld off coming up to the last corner of the race... Glad to see he's okay, could've been much much worse

I won't lie, I had to search what "Formula E" was

#12 Antmannz

Antmannz
  • Steam ID:SirAntmannz
  • Xbox Live:Antmannz

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

Yes !!!

OMG, that could have gone so badly and Heidfeld was pretty lucky his car didn't get more air and end up on the fence.

Something needs to be done with those kerb types though, especially in street races where they seem to be favoured to create chicanes; as this was what made the collision much worse. You see it in V8 Supercars too. It's particularly bad when the vehicle hits the kerb side on as there's no aero effect / downforce to keep the car on the ground, usually resulting in a flip.

#13 ArchSerpo

ArchSerpo

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

Yeah got to agree on those kerbs, a GP3 car went flying (really not an exaggeration) at Spa a month ago too

Its horrifying to think had Heidfeld's car been rotated a bit more so that the rollhoop and his helmet impacted the tecpro barriers he could at the very least be paralysed right now

#14 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

So did they literally change car in the formulae E race? I remember talk of it ages ago and they planned to do that, sounds hilarious. 

Hadden Paddon is going well in the WRC, glad to see he kicked Chris Atkinsons ass. He is still a long way from the leader though, not sure how much of that is the car.

Also here's a vid I made of the 2kCup which I race in if anyone is interested :) (Skip through a bit if you want to see the actual racing)

#15 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5924 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

Also here's a vid I made of the 2kCup which I race in if anyone is interested :) (Skip through a bit if you want to see the actual racing)

What was that white car ahead of (presumedly) you at the 2:15 mark? He had some up & go off the line

Also what cam you run? GoPro?

#16 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

Hey Scuba, It wont let me qoute you for some reason but hopefully you see this

The white car is another MR2 but in that footage he jumped the start (so did the car in front of him)

Im using some eXtreme thing which is a crap copy of a gopro (video not so bad but battery life is crap and often runs out on race day)

#17 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5924 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

The white car is another MR2 but in that footage he jumped the start (so did the car in front of him)

Im using some eXtreme thing which is a crap copy of a gopro (video not so bad but battery life is crap and often runs out on race day)

Yep seen it lol

Ah that'd explain it, he just takes off in that vid, thought maybee he was rollin 4wd or somethin

If you goto upgrade you cam at some stage I'd recommend the Sony over the GoPro, I spent literally years studying the cameras (as I was saving for one) before deciding the Sony. IMO (& on paper) it trumps the GoPro (& pretty much all others) in many areas & steadyshot is f***ing awesome for sh*t like this, it takes out the bumps

#18 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

Yep seen it lol

Ah that'd explain it, he just takes off in that vid, thought maybee he was rollin 4wd or somethin

If you goto upgrade you cam at some stage I'd recommend the Sony over the GoPro, I spent literally years studying the cameras (as I was saving for one) before deciding the Sony. IMO (& on paper) it trumps the GoPro (& pretty much all others) in many areas & steadyshot is f***ing awesome for sh*t like this, it takes out the bumps

Cheers for the heads up, actually we did borrow a gopro for part of that video (all the stuff filmed from on the roof) and it was awesome to be able to control it from a smartphone

Edit: what sony camera r u talking about, im not really up with the play when it comes to cameras

Oh and also one of the 2kcup guys has a camera that films in two directions at once, so he can film whats in front and behind him with one camera, that is rather cool

Edited by MonkeyMan, 25 September 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#19 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5924 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

Edit: what sony camera r u talking about, im not really up with the play when it comes to cameras

Oh and also one of the 2kcup guys has a camera that films in two directions at once, so he can film whats in front and behind him with one camera, that is rather cool

The latest model is HDR-AS100VR & HDR-AZ1 (which is the same camera but smaller)

Both come with a wrist screen thing that you can use to control the cam, it'll also hook upto smartyphone/tablet to do the same.

I've seen the dual direction cam before it's kinda cool but restricted in useable applications, I think Oregon Scientific might make it?

Edit:  The latter Sony cam might not be on the market yet? It was only revealed recently-ish

Edited by Scuba_Steve, 25 September 2014 - 09:55 PM.

#20 Antmannz

Antmannz
  • Steam ID:SirAntmannz
  • Xbox Live:Antmannz

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

Today I learn 2k cup racers may possibly spend more on their cameras than their cars.  :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Monkeys, Motorsport, racing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users