I know what you did last summer

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1521 posts
  • PSN:subtime
  • Xbox Live:subtime

Posted Yesterday, 03:26 PM

But seriously he must have had some loose screws to do that

Edited by sakuraba, Yesterday, 03:27 PM.

#6003 womz

womz
  • Steam ID:womzz
  • Xbox Live:Womz

Posted Yesterday, 04:33 PM

I guess I didn't think about the fact that he may have actually been suicidal, then it's just sad.
I just figured it was a stunt for attention. Very stupid.
But under no circumstances would I consider that heroic either way.

Oh I see what you meant. If he lit himself on fire and didn't intend to die then that would be Darwinism.

We won't know his intentions and won't for a while I'd say but that's the crux of the matter.

I'm hesitant to say heroic without absolute specifics but if he is willing to give his life for a cause and hopes to make life better for others by giving the ultimate sacrifice, I can't think of a better word for it.
I wouldn't call suicide bombers heroic
Yes but the protester wasn't trying to kill as many people as possible.

Exactly, he wasn't killing himself to damage or kill as many as possible.

I would call the Tibetan and Buddhist monks that self immolated heroes.

suicide bombers meet your definition though, just their values and ideals are way out of line with what (I assume) all of us here believe

#6004 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

I kill alyens and don't afrayd of anythink

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1794 posts
  • Xbox Live:ChieftaiNZ

Posted Yesterday, 04:47 PM

I guess I didn't think about the fact that he may have actually been suicidal, then it's just sad.

Oh I see what you meant. If he lit himself on fire and didn't intend to die then that would be Darwinism.

We won't know his intentions and won't for a while I'd say but that's the crux of the matter.

I'm hesitant to say heroic without absolute specifics but if he is willing to give his life for a cause and hopes to make life better for others by giving the ultimate sacrifice, I can't think of a better word for it.

suicide bombers meet your definition though, just their values and ideals are way out of line with what (I assume) all of us here believe

Drunk, your original post just says that he's a hero because they gave their life to improve the lives of others. For suicide bombers, that's what they are doing, their bombings are a part of their weird, f***ed up cause and make life better for other muslims (Based on their weird logic that exploding people is good).

We aren't saying that Suicide bombers are heroes, just that your original idea is flawed as it technically makes suicide bombers heroes.

#6005 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10696 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Drunk, your original post just says that he's a hero because they gave their life to improve the lives of others. For suicide bombers, that's what they are doing, their bombings are a part of their weird, f***ed up cause and make life better for other muslims (Based on their weird logic that exploding people is good).

We aren't saying that Suicide bombers are heroes, just that your original idea is flawed as it technically makes suicide bombers heroes.

I said either X or Y.

That doesn't mean X is true, nor does it mean Y is true.  We don't know that facts of the case yet and may never know them.  It could have been just another case of tragic suicide due to mental illness for all we know.

But no suicide bombers are killers.

If you cant tell the difference between sacrificing all of your life to get attention to an issue so everybody can benefit except you, and killing yourself and many others, then I cant help you here.

I also think the soldiers that trudged off to world war 1 knowing they would likely sacrifice their lives to protect people back here are also heroes but they would also be suicide bomber level to you guys too, after all throwing your life away for others is all the same to your twisted views.

#6006 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5924 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Wow this has gotten heavy for a Friday....

Am I rite Scuba??

You're not wrong; Fridays for relaxing, a couple drinks & talking sh*t

If you cant tell the difference between sacrificing all of your life to get attention to an issue so everybody can benefit except you, and killing yourself and many others, then I cant help you here.

So what issue was he bringing to attention? Painful ways to commit suicide? I can't see how many can benefit from that
Cause so far he's no hero, no martyr, just stupid & mentally unstable.

At-least I know what the bombers are doing it for; I don't like or agree with it but I know of their cause. 

#6007 emetic

emetic

felis fortuna adiuvat

• Members
  • 5201 posts
  • Steam ID:highwaygothic

Posted Today, 12:36 AM

Just to wade in here, the suicide bombers are on the same heroism level as any soldier who goes in to battle and gives their lives for the cause. We venerate our country's ones and the others likewise deserve the same respect. Whether it's the clerics or the politicians telling them who to kill shouldn't make much difference.

Of course, ideally diplomacy and peaceful negotiation are where the real heroism is at, but we don't really live in that ideal world.

Edited by emetic, Today, 12:38 AM.

#6008 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted Today, 06:59 AM

Just to wade in here, the suicide bombers are on the same heroism level as any soldier who goes in to battle and gives their lives for the cause. We venerate our country's ones and the others likewise deserve the same respect. Whether it's the clerics or the politicians telling them who to kill shouldn't make much difference.

Of course, ideally diplomacy and peaceful negotiation are where the real heroism is at, but we don't really live in that ideal world.

That's certainly one way to look at it.
I think the difference is killing civilians though.

#6009 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

• Members
  • 1794 posts

Posted Today, 08:29 AM

I don't know. Becoming a soldier and going over seas to fight other armed men to protect your country is a lot more heroic then strapping a bomb on and going to a concert to detonate it and kill a bunch of kids.

#6010 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5924 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted Today, 08:58 AM

I don't know. Becoming a soldier and going over seas to fight other armed men to protect your country is a lot more heroic then strapping a bomb on and going to a concert to detonate it and kill a bunch of kids.

Yes, stealing resources from other countries is so heroic. 

#6011 ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

• Members
  • 1794 posts

Posted Today, 10:48 AM

Yes, stealing resources from other countries is so heroic. 

I'm talking in the context of World War 1/World War 2. Not the modern Oil wars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users