Member Since 23 Nov 2006

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Tester
  • 6144 posts
  • Steam ID:BuNNNy_
  • PSN:BuNNNy_
  • Xbox Live:BuNNNy

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

I just want more info on the Vault, is it like ps+ where once you 'bought' it you have it as long as you maintain your membership?

I wouldn't be surprised with EA being like "Ok, BattleField 4 has had its time in the limelight. Swapping it with this now"

That idea isn't great for NZ with our shity net.

#42 Moeggo

Moeggo
  • Xbox Live:Moeggo

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

The game isn't streamed... Its downloaded. I signed up last night for a month.  I downloaded a full version of Madden 25 to play as I traded in my Disc in last week. There is no difference between the download and the disc. It even reloaded all my MUT players for me.

Yes Bunny thats correct, once your membership is up (thou it will Auto renew as per T&C's) you can not access the games that you download/play.

So the new EA titles like Madden 15, UFC etc are not in the Vault, but I will be picking they will be avaiable once the new improved version annouced the following year. But you do get the 10% off if you do buy them.

Edited by Moeggo, 31 July 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#43 predatorhunter

predatorhunter

Obsessed with Gears of War

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 4454 posts
  • Xbox Live:themainman21

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

seems like it could be good.

#44 LeftoversNZ

LeftoversNZ

It's all in the name

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 2483 posts
  • PSN:LeftoversNZ
  • Wii:What is a Wii?
  • Xbox Live:LeftoversNZ

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

I just want more info on the Vault, is it like ps+ where once you 'bought' it you have it as long as you maintain your membership?

I wouldn't be surprised with EA being like "Ok, BattleField 4 has had its time in the limelight. Swapping it with this now"

That idea isn't great for NZ with our shity net.

I believe the idea is that you also use the program to preview the full version of a game and then purchase it so you own it outright separate from the EA Access vault. For games that you are accessing through the subscription alone then you have access so long as your membership is paid up, the same as how PS+ and GWG work.

I'm sure that if they were to 'remove' a game from the vault there would be decent notice put up and I doubt they would add something in and remove it soon after. I'm sure if a title makes it to the vault then it'd be there for a reasonable time.

#45 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5965 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Sony "not seeing value in it" isn't something unique to Sony, MS has done this lots of times too; In-fact a couple of big sony exclusives came about because MS "didn't see value in them". Also I don't think this has anything to do with PS NOW, if anything it competes more with PS+

Sony's never been big on paid service; PSN was free, PS+ came with games for your moneys, they refused to hide video services etc behind a paywall (forcing MS to do the same with the XB1) so I can see how this doesn't fit with their vision.

I have reservations about the service, these might be quelled with more information, but at this stage I'm still not convinced. So I can't see why the hate for Sony "not seeing value in it"

#46 LeftoversNZ

LeftoversNZ

It's all in the name

• Members
  • 2483 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

From the information we have thus far I feel comparing it to PS Now is much more warranted than comparing it to PS+.

I don't think anyone (here at least) is hating on Sony (Haven't wandered over to the PS threads just yet). In my mind I can see why they wouldn't want it on their system.

Whether they says it's due to PS+ OR PS Now, that aside, it would equate to three paid services on the Playstation eco-system. Sure Sony would make a cut on EA Access but it could also genuinely do harm to Sony's projections for what they expect PS+ and PSNow to achieve.

#47 NZBuc

NZBuc
  • Xbox Live:NZ Buc

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

One thing to bear in mind is what limits are placed on vault games - stuff I've read implies they may not be totally fully featured/unlimited time

#48 Mattress

Mattress

As in the Bed

• NZGamer.com VIP Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1850 posts
  • Steam ID:i_mattress_i
  • Xbox Live:I Mattress I

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

I have reservations about the service, these might be quelled with more information, but at this stage I'm still not convinced. So I can't see why the hate for Sony "not seeing value in it"

I also have reservations about the EA Access service (like when new games will be added and if games will ever be removed), but if you can't see that the Sony statement is just a bunch of PR filled fluff to protect their own services then there is something wrong. It's not that they don't see the value for the customers, who can make their own decisions about value, but that they don't see the value TO THEMSELVES because EA Access would compete with their own services.

I can't remember the precise game but recently, when MS (via Phil Spencer) had talked about passing on a game because they didn't see "value" in it, it has usually come with an apology e.g. "we didn't see value in it, but I wish we had - we don't always get it 100% right".

Edit: I'm not hating on Sony, I just think it is incredibly hypocritical of them to say "there is no value in EA Access and we've decided it's best for our customers not to have the choice to use the service" after all their attacks and jibes at MS about things like bundling in the Kinect at launch. If Sony were TRULY about consumer choice, they would have supported the EA Access bundle. Then whether the subscription service succeeds or not is up to the customers and how much value THEY see in it!

Edited by Mattress, 31 July 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#49 LeftoversNZ

LeftoversNZ

It's all in the name

• Members
  • 2483 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

All this talk of one party not seeing the value in something reminds me of a lil story about a very famous four piece band who were told they had no future by one record label and then went on to be the biggest band in history.

...Not really related but kinda is.

Edited by LeftoversNZ, 31 July 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#50 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5965 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

Well until full details are released the customer statement will always be guesswork, however I guess I was always looking at the "not seeing value" as to Sony, Sony didn't see value in it I ignored the customer part.

You gotta remember both XB1 & PS4 are closed ecosystems MS & Sony make decisions they think are best for their customers like what Apple is hated on for in the tablet space, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but it is their decision not ours they're the ones who wear the cost in the backend to deliver these things.

#51 Mattress

Mattress

As in the Bed

• Members
  • 1850 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

All this talk of one party not seeing the value in something reminds me of a lil story about a very famous four piece band who were told they had no future by one record label and then went on to be the biggest band in history.

...Not really related but kinda is in a distant way.

This is precisely the point! It is up to us, the consumers, as to whether something has value - not Sony or Microsoft.

Microsoft got burnt on this very point with the Kinect and have now had to backtrack on the decision to bundle it in. In my particular situation, they were just lucky that I saw "value" in the Kinect. A lot of people didn't, hence why PS4 got off to such a great start because the Kinect made the X1 more expensive than the PS4.

Sony attacked MS repeatedly over this decision shouting "consumer choice" from the rooftops. And now they come out with this PR nonsense about it having "no value" when it clearly does because people on this forum have already signed up and the general internet consensus is largely supportive, though still wary, of the initiative (a very rare thing for an EA project).

#52 Mattress

Mattress

As in the Bed

• Members
  • 1850 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

You gotta remember both XB1 & PS4 are closed ecosystems MS & Sony make decisions they think are best for their customers like what Apple is hated on for in the tablet space, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but it is their decision not ours they're the ones who wear the cost in the backend to deliver these things.

I agree with this but of course Sony were going to recoup their costs in this context. Regardless of whether you and I personally like EA and their practices, the sales figures do not lie and it is clear that EA are one of the biggest (if not the biggest) publisher in the world who creates the BEST sports games. All Sony has done by not having this deal on PS consoles is provide a huge incentive to anyone who does play sports games to go and buy an X1 instead of a PS4. I think that is a mistake.

Edit: Sorry for double post but I wanted to respond to both Leftovers and Steve because both raise interesting points and I find all this nonsense fascinating!

Edited by Mattress, 31 July 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#53 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5965 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

All Sony has done by not having this deal on PS consoles is provide a huge incentive to anyone who does play sports games to go and buy an X1 instead of a PS4. I think that is a mistake.

Edit: Sorry for double post but I wanted to respond to both Leftovers and Steve because both raise interesting points and I find all this nonsense fascinating!

I'm not so sure about that, as all I've heard so far is XB1 will have 1 week early access & year old games, can't say that's much incentive to me. If I was mad about sports FIFA14 wouldn't be much interest & a week early to FIFA15 isn't enough to make me wanna pay $5USD/mth I'd rather wait the week

#54 Mattress

Mattress

As in the Bed

• Members
  • 1850 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

I'm not so sure about that, as all I've heard so far is XB1 will have 1 week early access & year old games, can't say that's much incentive to me. If I was mad about sports FIFA14 wouldn't be much interest & a week early to FIFA15 isn't enough to make me wanna pay $5USD/mth I'd rather wait the week

You also get 10% off any purchases from EA, which is a huge selling point. This includes 10% off full titles, DLC, and micro-transactions e.g. Fifa Ultimate team and Madden Ultimate team purchases / packs.

So let's say you love Fifa and Madden (as many do on the forums here) and will definitely buy those games at launch.

For $30USD you get access to those games early and also get to play (see if you like) other games, starting with BF4 and Peggle 2 and with more to be included.

Savings wise, when you buy Fifa 15 and Madden 15, you've already saved $12 US ($6 US for each $60 purchase), therefore you're really only renting those other games for $18 US for the year.

Now this scenario is very conservative in the value that the subscription will provide because there are a ton of good EA games coming out in the future (Dragon Age, Star Wars Battlefront, Mass Effect etc) which you can also get discounts on and it doesn't include any DLC / microtransaction purchases.

Edit: Having re-read all this, it is basically an EA loyalty programme - the more you spend with EA, the more you save and the more value you get. I re-iterate my point that for any lover of sport games, then EA Access provides a huge incentive to game on Xbox.

Edited by Mattress, 31 July 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#55 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5965 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

You also get 10% off any purchases from EA, which is a huge selling point. This includes 10% off full titles, DLC, and micro-transactions e.g. Fifa Ultimate team and Madden Ultimate team purchases / packs.

So let's say you love Fifa and Madden (as many do on the forums here) and will definitely buy those games at launch.

For $30USD you get access to those games early and also get to play (see if you like) other games, starting with BF4 and Peggle 2 and with more to be included.

Savings wise, when you buy Fifa 15 and Madden 15, you've already saved $12 US ($6 US for each $60 purchase), therefore you're really only renting those other games for $18 US for the year.

Now this scenario is very conservative in the value that the subscription will provide because there are a ton of good EA games coming out in the future (Dragon Age, Star Wars Battlefront, Mass Effect etc) which you can also get discounts on and it doesn't include any DLC / microtransaction purchases.

Edit: Having re-read all this, it is basically an EA loyalty programme - the more you spend with EA, the more you save and the more value you get. I re-iterate my point that for any lover of sport games, then EA Access provides a huge incentive to game on Xbox.

You may have a point... This is the reason I like to get into these debates, someone (like you) might point out a view I cannot see myself at 1st glance.

I will still have reservations about this service until it's proved but at-least you've given me a different window to look at it through

#56 Mattress

Mattress

As in the Bed

• Members
  • 1850 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

I still have reservations too :) And the service doesn't have value for me at the moment because I already own FIFA 14, Peggle 2, BF4. But in the future I will definitely think about it once I'm thinking of buying other EA games and (hopefully) once they've proven how and when games get added to the service.

All I know is that there are huge swathes of people out there who only play the big annual franchises like Madden and Call of Duty or Fifa and Call of Duty. And a service like this is targeting precisely those people.

#57 D4nzy

D4nzy

The Man.

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Gaming Night Host
  • 4475 posts
  • Xbox Live:D4nzy

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Already owning peggle, fifa, and BF4 and having no interest in Madden there is no value here for me.

But it may gain my interest once they start announcing new titles, if you don't own any of those titles it seems like pretty good value even if you never actually own them.

This kinda thing will put those rental stores in NZ on the last of their very thin strands if this is something we will start to see more of.

I am however curious as to why NBA Live, Titanfall, and PvZ were excluded or not selected as part of the 4 games.   

#58 Moeggo

Moeggo
  • Xbox Live:Moeggo

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

This kinda thing will put those rental stores in NZ on the last of their very thin strands if this is something we will start to see more of.

I am however curious as to why NBA Live, Titanfall, and PvZ were excluded or not selected as part of the 4 games.   

Indeed... My local store has a pretty piss poor section already....

I would think TF and PvZ are still deemed a a "New Release" nad still have a few people playing it. NBA I would thought would of been included too.

#59 hairyfil

hairyfil

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

At least we have the choice. It is of value to me and many others, and if you already own the starter 4 games then maybe it doesn't represent enough value for you - and that's all fine. Sony however opted to not provide their users with the choice, too threatened? Perhaps.

It would seem that M$ is doing what is in the best interest of gamers. Or do you disagree?

cheers

Phil

#60 NZBuc

NZBuc
  • Xbox Live:NZ Buc

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

They probably want to forget nba live 14 ever happened ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users