drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10985 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

Hmm don't know if somehow relating taking a piss and spending tax payers money on que jumpers when we can't even look after our own struggling people really makes sense?

The point he is making is 3 mill is a tiny amount and if they had to get the public's permission for every 3 mill they spent, nothing would get done.

Also it would cost a lot more.

The flag referendum cost 25 mill for context. While a vote for everything wouldnt be the same cost, Getting permission for every 3 mill cost would likely double the cost for everything.

I'm sure all our governments before us has spent 3 mill on things regularly without the people's permissions, and I know I didn't vote on specific immigration decisions under any of our previous governments.

While I agree that us having more of a say on major decisions outside of our 3 yearly vote would be great, this probably still wouldn't cut that mustard.

Edited by drunk_monk, 16 November 2017 - 08:55 AM.

#1302 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

Hmm don't know if somehow relating taking a piss and spending tax payers money on que jumpers when we can't even look after our own struggling people really makes sense?

Same way calling someone fart face makes sense I guess

#1303 sakuraba

sakuraba

I know what you did last summer

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 1625 posts
  • PSN:subtime
  • Xbox Live:subtime

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:04 AM

But fart face is my trademark line? I see your point tthough.

#1304 AdamC

AdamC
  • Steam ID:LygerReach
  • PSN:JadamCrt

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

$25 mil for that damn flag vote? Damn someone made a tidy profit

#1305 Laser0pz

Laser0pz

Punintentional.

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Gaming Night Host
  • 1925 posts
  • Steam ID:Lazer0pz
  • PSN:Lazer0pz
  • Xbox Live:Laser0pz

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

The government's expenditure for the 2015-2016 financial year was $95.9 billion and the flag referendum itself was actually cheaper than expected at $21.8 million.

Unless I've misunderstood the stats, the referendum was a measly 0.0227% of the expenditure that year.

#1306 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 10985 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

The government's expenditure for the 2015-2016 financial year was $95.9 billion and the flag referendum itself was actually cheaper than expected at $21.8 million.

Unless I've misunderstood the stats, the referendum was a measly 0.0227% of the expenditure that year.

Ha I just googled it so could be wrong.

But a thorough and legitimized vote isn't cheap was my point. If they did that for every 3 mill spend they'd be f***ed.

#1307 that_black_guy

that_black_guy
  • PSN:that_black_guy

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

It could've cost a hundred dollars and would have still been a waste of a hundred dollars

#1308 ironfist92

ironfist92
  • PSN:ironfist92

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

Jacinda pledged $3,000,000 of our money and 150 asylum seekers as well as their families refugee status from manus island ...thanks jacinda fart face you could have least asked us.

You're more than welcome to donate your own money to a charity/cause of your own choosing.

#1309 Laser0pz

Laser0pz

Punintentional.

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Gaming Night Host
  • 1925 posts
  • Steam ID:Lazer0pz
  • PSN:Lazer0pz
  • Xbox Live:Laser0pz

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

It could've cost a hundred dollars and would have still been a waste of a hundred dollars

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Was the entire referendum a total c*ck-up in how sorely mismanaged it was? Yes, of course it was. Oh my god was it awful:

The Flag Consideration Panel had no experts in vexilollogy at all. The most qualified person on there was historian Malcolm Mulholland, who has written a book on the New Zealand flag.

Of all the people that could have been consulted on the design of a timeless flag, a shoe designer was consulted. Oh and s/he made washing machines too. 

Three of the final four five selected were all silver ferns. The Black and White fern is literally a trademarked logo that can be licensed out. I feel that the Lockwoods are both poor designs for a flag for these reasons here and here, and Hypnoflag was just plain boring. 

However with all of that said, the results clearly showed that a number of people are in favour of having a new flag to unite under. You may have your reasons against changing it (I'm guessing your reasons aren't necessarily financial, because you said it would have been a waste regardless?), however others have their reasons for changing it. 

#1310 that_black_guy

that_black_guy
  • PSN:that_black_guy

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:16 PM

I didnt feel the need to change the flag and the general vibe I got from my peers was that no one cared. I am still salty about it though... largely because it was a distraction from actual issues, an expensive one at that

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: election, politics, government

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users