Photo

The documentary/non-fiction thread.

Because am smart.

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#21 Romulus

Romulus

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Thank You For Smoking - A doco about the f*g industry & the lobbying that went along with it.

This was a doco?? The one with Aaron Eckhart?

Roger & Me still gets to me - especially the scene when they hired those who were laid-off to be human statues at that house party. 

Spellbound was interesting in the way it showed different cultural attitudes towards education, and was also pretty tense towards the end.

This Movie is Not Yet Rated shines a light on the hypocrisy in American movie censorship.

Enron: The Smarted Guys in the Room will make you feel ripped off.

More recently:

The Imposter - plays out like thriller

Also, about 15 (?) years ago, the BBC made The Nazis: A Warning From History and if you have not already seen this I can't recommend it enough. At the time, it showed a lot of unseen footage and photos, and looks inside the inner workings of the Nazis and how the "leadership" operated. Fascinating, interesting and scary. 

Thank you for smoking is not actually a doco but does provide a fictional account of the tobacco industry.

i.e. Cool runnings is not a doco but does provide a fictional account of the trials faced by the first jamaican bobsled team

#22 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5918 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

Thank you for smoking is not actually a doco but does provide a fictional account of the tobacco industry.

i.e. Cool runnings is not a doco but does provide a fictional account of the trials faced by the first jamaican bobsled team

Yea not a Doco per say IMDB puts it as a "Satirical comedy"; it's all about the Tobacco Industry & it's Spin Doctors. Also I think you meant "non-fictional" Romulus.

Either way it's gives truths & fact's so think we can count it as a Doco/non-fiction for the purposes of this thread.

Edited by Scuba_Steve, 25 June 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#23 Byskyre

Byskyre
  • Steam ID:Muntey

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Yea not a Doco per say IMDB puts it as a "Satirical comedy"; it's all about the Tobacco Industry & it's Spin Doctors. Also I think you meant "non-fictional" Romulus.

Either way it's gives truths & fact's so think we can count it as a Doco/non-fiction for the purposes of this thread.

ill_allow_it_community.gif

#24 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10675 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

This film is not yet rated is so interesting

#25 Deanology

Deanology
  • PSN:Yes

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Shadow Company.
It is a few years old now, but is a good doco on private military contractors. Very interesting, I found it.

#26 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10675 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

I've been really enjoying "Our big blue back yard" about NZ marine life.

Eps to date are available on TVNZ on Demand

http://tvnz.co.nz/ou...1-video-6110191

#27 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

• Members
  • 10675 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

Just watched the 20/20 about Bruce jenner. f***ing hell the stuff happening to transgender people in the states is atrocious. I don't want to know what would happen in countries where even homosexuality is accepted.

I actually got a bit of faith in the kids being diagnosed with sexual dimorphism as a doctor was saying the difference between a kid just wearing the other genders clothing and a kid who is in the wrong body. I was a little worried that a boy wearing a dress or a tom boy would be treated as having that dimorphism when they are just bring innocent kids but that doctor gave me confidence there is a clear difference. (Louis therox did a good doco on kids in the wrong bodies but I didn't think he addressed that concern enough).

Good watch if anyone is interested. Lots of learning.

#28 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12417 posts
  • PSN:foxymcstupid

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:10 AM

I've been really enjoying "Our big blue back yard" about NZ marine life.

Eps to date are available on TVNZ on Demand

http://tvnz.co.nz/ou...1-video-6110191

my man. i found the show absolutely fascinating  on par with yellowstone.

#29 Romulus

Romulus

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:37 AM

Watched Tiger - Spy in the Jungle the other day. It's pretty cool David Attenborough doco about tigers but its filmed using hidden cameras set up in the wilderness.

Key finding  - animals will always work out where the cameras are and f*** your sh*t up.

#30 Romulus

Romulus

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

Has anyone watched Southern Rites? Really interesting doco about race relations in the US, specifically about a town in Georgia where the prom is still segregated.

#31 Killjoy

Killjoy

life is killing me👌

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Steam ID:Killjoy1690

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

I only just realized this thread existed, doh!  I love me some docos, will post here from now on and will watch some of those mentioned too.

#32 Jenesyde

Jenesyde
  • Xbox Live:Jenesyde

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

Docoumentaries are great. Some good ones I've watched recently...

Finding Vivian Meyer

Going Clear

Atari: Game Over

Bobby Fischer Against The World

Downloaded

Rising Son

My Kid Could Paint That

#33 Goonertron

Goonertron
  • PSN:KiwiGooner13
  • Xbox Live:GoonerTR0N

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

Senna

Senna is the greatest documentary of all time, calling it a documentary is really a disservice though as it's edited more like a full feature movie, there is no nararator talking over it just edited together footage captured over the course of his career, and if you know nothing about Arton Senna going in like me it is bloody jaw dropping.

10/10

All This Mayhem

About the Papas skateboarding brothers from Australia and how they took on the vert greats of the 90s/2000s, same with Senna if you know nothing about them it has some shocking suprises and shows how much of a dickwad Tony Hawk was.

8/10

Edited by Goonertron, 10 July 2015 - 11:04 AM.

#34 womz

womz
  • Steam ID:womzz
  • Xbox Live:Womz

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:04 AM

yea its an amazing film

I remember watching that race, was a week before my 13th birthday

#35 Killjoy

Killjoy

life is killing me👌

• Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

God loves Uganda, 4/10.   Very slow, I get the message but it just wasn't an interesting watch.

#36 Jenesyde

Jenesyde

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

Indie Game - follows the developers of Super Meat Boy and Fez. Seems all stress and drama, who'd be a dev. 7/10

#37 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12417 posts
  • PSN:foxymcstupid

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:01 PM

Indie Game - follows the developers of Super Meat Boy and Fez. Seems all stress and drama, who'd be a dev. 7/10

the only difference between them and most other devs is that those guys made money. who'd be a dev indeed.

#38 Killjoy

Killjoy

life is killing me👌

• Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

Twelfth in Northern Ireland 2013 (BBC), 8/10.  Gives a great insight into the culture clash between protestants and catholics but focuses mainly on marching and the build up to the 12th of July. This day is celebrated by loyalist protestants for King William of Orange and his victory over catholic King James 2 at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 , a catholic woman follows a protestant marching band around with interesting results.

Edited by Killjoy, 11 July 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#39 Killjoy

Killjoy

life is killing me👌

• Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

Inside the KKK (2015), 7/10.  A British guy interviews members of the Traditional American Knights of the KKK who claim they're not a hate group.

#40 Jenesyde

Jenesyde

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

West Of Memphis - riveting doco covering the appeals process for the infamous West Memphis 3. Funny to see Peter Jackson pop up. 8/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users