The documentary/non-fiction thread.

Because am smart.

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 Byskyre

Byskyre
  • Steam ID:Muntey

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

I've been thinking about opening a thread like this for a while; There doesn't seem to be much talk of Documentary and non-fiction film/shows around here. I figured that this could be a place to discuss and recommend documentary films and series.

So, first I thought I should offer up some suggestions I found interesting, not your usual stuff:

Mostly Netflix links because I use it, find your own streaming links. You may also need a VPN or proxy for some.

Simon Says: Psychosis! https://www.youtube....h?v=oA0Z33mS1Cg

A short film about Psychosis, it's effects and the treatments available. It's not something that is generally discussed in society, so I found it pretty interesting. This one hits kind of close for me, as it something I have experienced.

Restrepo http://www.netflix.c...iMovie/70129360

A quite famous war documentary. The follow up 'Korengal' recently released, I am yet to see it though.

Terms and conditions apply http://www.netflix.c...iMovie/70279201

Discusses the loss of privacy in the digital age, and how we let it happen.

God loves Uganda http://www.netflix.c...iMovie/70267833

A look at the American far right's movement to bring their views and beliefs to Africa.

Blood and guts: A history of surgery http://www.youtube.c...u&feature=share

An interesting series about surgery and medicine. Really well done.

Your turn!

#2 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 5970 posts
  • Steam ID:psychomonkey69
  • PSN:PsychoMonkey
  • Wii:ScubaSteve
  • Xbox Live:Psycho Obezyana

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

Restrepo http://www.netflix.c...iMovie/70129360

A quite famous war documentary. The follow up 'Korengal' recently released, I am yet to see it though.

Thats a good one, not all "huraa America" like they usually are. Actually a good watch

#3 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5970 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

Zeitgeist series - if you have an open mind, well worth a look.

Sicko - A look at Americas abysmal healthcare system & where our Govt is trying to take ours.

Thank You For Smoking - A doco about the f*g industry & the lobbying that went along with it.

Anything Attenborough - Bloody good watch, a bit of religion within but if you can tolerate/ignore that there's no better animal doco's period!

#4 Antmannz

Antmannz
  • Steam ID:SirAntmannz
  • Xbox Live:Antmannz

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

1: Life on the Limit

A look at the safety history and progress of Formula 1, largely through the 60s and 70s when the mortality rate of F1 racers was at it's worst.

#5 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5970 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

A look at the safety history and progress of Formula 1, largely through the 60s and 70s when the mortality rate of F1 racers was at it's worst.

Oh that just reminded me of TT: Closer to the edge awesome look at the MotoGP & Guy Martin is a f***ing crack-up

#6 Mongrel_Rob

Mongrel_Rob

Riding eternal, shiny and gilded

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Gold VIP

• 4142 posts
  • Xbox Live:Aviatora

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Anything Attenborough - Bloody good watch, a bit of religion within but if you can tolerate/ignore that there's no better animal doco's period!

+1 for anything Attenborough. A nature documentary is guaranteed to be great with him hosting/narrating it.

The same can be said for history documentaries hosted by Michael Wood. Travel documentaries featuring Michael Palin are always entertaining too.

#7 jamesg

jamesg

Since 1973

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • PSN:TrickishLicense

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

Anything Michael Moore I enjoy.

Enjoyed Super Size Me and Loose Change was really good too.

#8 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5970 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

Enjoyed Super Size Me

Never saw the end of that one... Good advertising for fast food tho

Me & a mate only got half way through before it had us feeling like a feed so off to BK we went (Maccas burgers are pathetic) but even so we were disappointed when the Whopper was smaller than US Big Mac

#9 xmorph

xmorph

Praise the Derp

• NZGamer.com VIP 1 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Steam ID:Xen0m0rph3
  • PSN:GingerLeopard
  • Wii:Xen0m0rph3
  • Xbox Live:Xen0m0rph3

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Highly recommend this one :)

I also really enjoy the Air Crash Investigation and Seconds from Distater series. Really interesting stuff, sometimes disastater can be triggered by the tiniest thing. Also interesting to see how these events have had an effect on the present day and future.

#10 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 10911 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

Anything by louis theroux.

He makes fantastic documentaries.

#11 Chris Redfield

Chris Redfield

Don't stop now I am make cumming.

• Members
  • 18074 posts
  • Steam ID:Nims_is_te_Man
  • Wii:666
  • Xbox Live:lol nah

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

Zeitgeist series

He said non-fiction, not something completely made up  :whistle:

Hoop Dreams- Brilliant film about two inner city black kids from poor backgrounds who both get basketball scholarships to prestigious predominantly white high schools. It just follows their lives as they chase their NBA dreams and the hardships them and their families face. Excellent portrait of inner city American life. 

#12 Byskyre

Byskyre

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Zeitgeist series

He said non-fiction, not something completely made up :whistle:

Ha, I was waiting for this. The first film was kind of interesting to start, but became incredibly preachy. I couldn't even stand 20 mins into the second.

The funny thing for me is that these films inspired the opposite actions of their intended in me. It made me realise how ridiculous people are, and that all this 'tragedy' is going to happen anyway, so I may as well try cash in :)

#13 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5970 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Zeitgeist series

Ha, I was waiting for this. The first film was kind of interesting to start, but became incredibly preachy. I couldn't even stand 20 mins into the second.

The funny thing for me is that these films inspired the opposite actions of their intended in me. It made me realise how ridiculous people are, and that all this 'tragedy' is going to happen anyway, so I may as well try cash in :)

Meh I've only seen the 1st one I think I just mentioned "series" as I knew there was more. I can't speak for everything in them but the bit about banks control is true... Still if you're not closed minded you might want to see propaganda from the other side doesn't mean you should just believe them because they're not Govt sanctioned, take them with a grain of salt like you should any Govt propaganda & make the decision for yourself

#14 Chris Redfield

Chris Redfield

Don't stop now I am make cumming.

• Members
  • 18074 posts
  • Steam ID:Nims_is_te_Man
  • Wii:666
  • Xbox Live:lol nah

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

Zeitgeist series

The funny thing for me is that these films inspired the opposite actions of their intended in me. It made me realise how ridiculous people are, and that all this 'tragedy' is going to happen anyway, so I may as well try cash in  :)

I've only seen the first one but it's all conspiracy propaganda told with factual and emotional manipulation. Essentially the film is a whole lot of lies and twisted truths that actually takes debate away from the real issues it supposedly rallies against. 

Better documentaries that are actually academic and challenge the establishment-

The Corporation- Analyses the history of the corporation and abuses throughout history while using the DSM IV to classify the corporation as 'psychopathic'

Manufacturing Consent-  Based on Noam Chomsky and Edward S. Hermans' novel of the same name regarding the mass media in the US and the way in which it manipulates the truth and public discourse to ultimately provide support for US government actions. Read the book as well. Brilliant work. 

War by Other Means- About the World Bank's practice of giving loans to developing countries that can't possibly pay them off and then essentially holding those countries to ransom via debt as weapon. Also check pretty much anything out from John Pilger. The War You Don't See and The War on Democracy are both very good documentaries criticising US media coverage of the war on terror + Israel/Palestine and America's Latin American foreign policy + the war on terror respectively. 

Greg Palasts investigative work is also very good. Covers debt in third world countries and the predatory behaviour of IMF/World Bank and their cohorts, vote rigging in the US and Big Oil. 

Also Inside Job is very good as well. About the Global Financial Crisis and the institutions that caused it to happen or failed to stop it from happening. Probably the best one to watch out of all these. No youtube links but should be easy to find. 

#15 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12456 posts
  • PSN:foxymcstupid

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

+1 for anything Attenborough. A nature documentary is guaranteed to be great with him hosting/narrating it.

The same can be said for history documentaries hosted by Michael Wood. Travel documentaries featuring Michael Palin are always entertaining too.

used to agree, now strongly disagree. hes got a voice to masturbate to, but his "documentaries" have become progressively fake, and always end happily ever after glazing over any human impact. still, *some* of his work is amazeballs, just has no credit for me any more.

im into my food docos so:

Earthlings - PETA vegan propoganda so really its just a clip show of horror. hardest watch of my life, but something everyone should see.

Food Inc - monsanto/factory farming/fun times. if you havent seen it, again, its one to watch if you want to ask where your food comes from.

Collapse - one dude talking about peak oil, some call a conspiracy theorist, but really thought provoking.

#16 Scuba_Steve

Scuba_Steve

Gods Evil Twin

• Members
  • 5970 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

but his "documentaries" have become progressively fake, and always end happily ever after glazing over any human impact. still, *some* of his work is amazeballs, just has no credit for me any more.

??? They became less scripted/manipulated as time went on; the originals were about as real as "reality TV" altho Attenborough defends this by pointing out the financial & technical constraints of the time. They did however become more religious as time went on.

#17 Byskyre

Byskyre

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

Yay, discussion!

I'll definitely check out dome of those links you posted, Red. I was expecting you would come in with some interesting stuff like that.

#18 stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

No sleep 'til bed time

• 12456 posts
  • PSN:foxymcstupid

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

but his "documentaries" have become progressively fake, and always end happily ever after glazing over any human impact. still, *some* of his work is amazeballs, just has no credit for me any more.

??? They became less scripted/manipulated as time went on; the originals were about as real as "reality TV" altho Attenborough defends this by pointing out the financial & technical constraints of the time. They did however become more religious as time went on.

http://www.dailymail...man-claims.html that last one was beyond ridiculous and super fake. something about small animals at night.

#19 Romulus

Romulus

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

Zeitgeist series - if you have an open mind, well worth a look.

Sicko - A look at Americas abysmal healthcare system & where our Govt is trying to take ours.

Thank You For Smoking - A doco about the f*g industry & the lobbying that went along with it.

Zeitgeist is trippy  ...

#20 lax1

lax1
  • PSN:gumshoe75

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

This was a doco?? The one with Aaron Eckhart?

Roger & Me still gets to me - especially the scene when they hired those who were laid-off to be human statues at that house party. 

Spellbound was interesting in the way it showed different cultural attitudes towards education, and was also pretty tense towards the end.

This Movie is Not Yet Rated shines a light on the hypocrisy in American movie censorship.

Enron: The Smarted Guys in the Room will make you feel ripped off.

More recently:

The Imposter - plays out like thriller

Also, about 15 (?) years ago, the BBC made The Nazis: A Warning From History and if you have not already seen this I can't recommend it enough. At the time, it showed a lot of unseen footage and photos, and looks inside the inner workings of the Nazis and how the "leadership" operated. Fascinating, interesting and scary. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users