#1 Brentos14

Brentos14

Brentos14

• NZGamer.com VIP Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • PSN:brentos14

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

What are everyones thoughts on playstation tv and it compared to apple tv ? I'm looking at getting apple tv but should i wait ?

#2 markhnz

markhnz
  • Steam ID:markhnz
  • PSN:markhnz
  • Xbox Live:markhnz

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

I have an apple tv and PS4. I use the apple tv for watching movies, because last time I looked at Quickflix it didn't seem to have a very good selection of movies, compared to iTunes.

With the apple tv, I found that streaming movies directly from the internet didn't work very well because my internet isn't that great. I would go to watch a movie and it would say that I can start watching the movie in 2 hours! So I thought I could let it download and then watch the movie the next night, but no that doesn't work, because after downloading the apple tv will go to sleep due to inactivity and it won't retain the movie in memory.

So when I watch movies, I actually download them to my mac first and then use iTunes to stream them to the apple tv from my mac.

I'm not sure if the PS3/PS4 or Playstation TV allow you to download the movie before watching or if you have to stream it?

Edited by markhnz, 19 June 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#3 wuruhi

wuruhi

RitchieNZ

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • PSN:makoura
  • Xbox Live:RitchieNZ

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

I guess it depends what you want to use it for. If you have a PS4 it looks pretty cool because it means to can play on any screen in the house. I have a couple of apple tv's currently but the one in the lounge is barely used as netflixs etc on the console is so good. In the other room I have apple tv set to US store so I can have us apps and works well for that.

#4 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• NZGamer.com VIP 4 Star Gold VIP

• Members
  • 11206 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

I didn't even think of the Playstation TV for playing videos, just thought of it for Vita on your TV and remote play

#5 Brentos14

Brentos14

Brentos14

• NZGamer.com VIP Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • PSN:brentos14

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

i was thinking about getting apple etc and jail breaking it to unlock it all, people have been saying that unlocking the apple tv unleashes it and lets you use it beyond its limits but now I'm unsure about the playstation tv !!! 

#6 Jermachi

Jermachi

Lord/saviour

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Blue VIP

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • PSN:Jermachi
  • Wii:Jermachi
  • Xbox Live:Jermachi

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

I have a workmates that loathes Apple anything, then he was given an Apple TV, jail broke it and now he loves it.

I guess we will tell once Playstation TV is released. I do like the game streaming to multiple TV thing though, shame I don't have multiple TVs.

If anyone is keen MightyApe has Playstation TV preorderable for $149.99 (http://tinyurl.com/lhw7ak7)

#7 sakuraba

sakuraba

I know what you did last summer

• Members
  • 1643 posts
  • PSN:subtime
  • Xbox Live:subtime

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

My brother got an apple tv and only used it like 3 times he said it was poos n wees.

#8 Romulus

Romulus

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

I didn't even think of the Playstation TV for playing videos, just thought of it for Vita on your TV and remote play

Yeah, the remote play is a cool feature but the rest are pretty lame. Media and content management rules and streaming issues are likely to make the content quite lame and the problem with a Sony backed product is you will only get Sony backed media.

#9 Durty Driscoll

Durty Driscoll

Brrrrrr

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • PSN:mow_dee
  • Xbox Live:durtydriscoll

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

Okay, dumb question time.

If I have a playstation TV plugged in to my upstairs TV - will I need a Ethernet/phone port to get it to remote play my PS4 from downstairs?  or does it do it over wifi?

#10 drunk_monk

drunk_monk

What happened? How did I get here?

• Members
  • 11206 posts
  • PSN:drunk_monk_13
  • Xbox Live:drunkmonk37

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

If I have a playstation TV plugged in to my upstairs TV - will I need a Ethernet/phone port to get it to remote play my PS4 from downstairs? or does it do it over wifi?

Not a dumb question.

It does it over wifi or if it's physically close enough just like a vita does.

#11 pexpress

pexpress
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:08 AM

is the playstation TV compatoble with every Xperia phone ?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

samsung galaxy note 3 promotion galaxy note 3

Edited by pexpress, 08 July 2014 - 03:54 AM.

#12 Durty Driscoll

Durty Driscoll

Brrrrrr

• NZGamer.com VIP 2 Star Bronze VIP

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • PSN:mow_dee
  • Xbox Live:durtydriscoll

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

If I have a playstation TV plugged in to my upstairs TV - will I need a Ethernet/phone port to get it to remote play my PS4 from downstairs? or does it do it over wifi?

Not a dumb question.

It does it over wifi or if it's physically close enough just like a vita does.

Thanks!

#13 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Undeniably Caffienated.

• Members
  • 2473 posts
  • PSN:DocChrisNZ
  • Wii:SW-4409-1751-7020 (Switch)

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

Will the ability to play the back catalogue of PS Vita games come to the PS4 or will we have to have the Playstation TV?

#14 ShootMeUp

ShootMeUp

ShootMeUp

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • PSN:ShootMeUp

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Unless you have a particular leaning towards Apple products then I would probably get a WD TV Live instead of an ATV3. I have both and I only really use the ATV3 for AirPlay from family iPhones, iPads and computes.

Last time I checked, the ATV3 had yet to be Jailbroken (has this changed?) so you'd need to buy a 2nd-hand ATV2 to go that route. The Apple firmware severely limits the types of media files you can play where the Western Digital TV Live media player hasn't let me down yet - they play just about anything you can throw at them and have new firmware fairly regularly - cost about the same too, I think.

Like drunk_monk, I don't think of the Playstation TV and ATV as competing products (don't think I've ever watched a video on my Vita), I recommend both, as funds permit.

EDIT: Wasn't DLNA announced for the PS4 2.0 firmware update later this year? Anybody know if that will work with RemotePlay? Past experience would suggest DLNA content wouldn't be allowed over RemotePlay but maybe...

Edited by ShootMeUp, 21 August 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#15 DaveyBryan

DaveyBryan
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

Unless you have a particular leaning towards Apple products then I would probably get a WD TV Live instead of an ATV3. I have both and I only really use the ATV3 for AirPlay from family iPhones, iPads and computes.

Last time I checked, the ATV3 had yet to be Jailbroken (has this changed?) so you'd need to buy a 2nd-hand ATV2 to go that route. The Apple firmware severely limits the types of media files you can play where the Western Digital TV Live media player hasn't let me down yet - they play just about anything you can throw at them and have new firmware fairly regularly - cost about the same too, I think.

Like drunk_monk, I don't think of the Playstation TV and ATV as competing products (don't think I've ever watched a video on my Vita), I recommend both, as funds permit.

EDIT: Wasn't DLNA announced for the PS4 2.0 firmware update later this year? Anybody know if that will work with RemotePlay? Past experience would suggest DLNA content wouldn't be allowed over RemotePlay but maybe...

Does the WD TV get updated to allow for new codecs etc.?

#16 ShootMeUp

ShootMeUp

ShootMeUp

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • PSN:ShootMeUp

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

Does the WD TV get updated to allow for new codecs etc.?

Just got a new firmware recently but the releases have slowed compared to when they first went on sale but they are definitely still regularly updated. Specs and formats supported here.

As someone who has messed around with every type of media player hardware and software I could get my hands on over then last 15 years, you could do a lot worse - especially at the price. 

#17 Munkah

Munkah

Resident overlord

• Staff
  • 12616 posts
  • Steam ID:Morgadeth
  • PSN:Morgadeth
  • Wii:1032 5522 9691 7697
  • Xbox Live:Morgadeth

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

What about Amazon Fire TV?

#18 Goonertron

Goonertron
  • PSN:KiwiGooner13
  • Xbox Live:GoonerTR0N

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:16 AM

I use a Apple TV with American services using getflix.com.au NZ Apple TV is really only useful for Airplay.

#19 Bunnny

Bunnny

Member Since 23 Nov 2006

• Tester
  • 6158 posts
  • Steam ID:BuNNNy_
  • PSN:BuNNNy_
  • Xbox Live:BuNNNy

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

I would pass in all honesty. Chromecast ftw.

And if you're with Orcon they just announced they're release their own global mode so you don't have to worry about paying for addional rerouting

#20 PE0PLEKN0WME

PE0PLEKN0WME

When will Faye Lau's leg be fixed?

• NZGamer.com VIP 3 Star Silver VIP

• Members
  • 2422 posts
  • Xbox Live:PE0PLE KN0W ME

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

I would pass in all honesty. Chromecast ftw.

And if you're with Orcon they just announced they're release their own global mode so you don't have to worry about paying for addional rerouting

As soon as my current contract ends with Vodafone im going to Orcon just for the global mode! That's awesome its been added for free too!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: playstation, tv, apple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users